1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling no better about Nashville Vintage Round being a North Central Race

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by lizard84, May 10, 2003.

1. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Still think the race there should in no way be a Vintage round for the North Central region. We have 2 Vintage rounds "In region" at Putnam, 2 at Grattan, 1 at Nelson. I'll take the shitty smelling/ bumpy but wall free Nelson over a out of area (for North central) wall lined Nascar track/road course any day. Why not make the Nelson in june a Vintage round?

Snipped from John's World

"Many racers expressed dislike for the track, which combines a NASCAR oval with a tight infield road course. The rough transitions between the banking and the infield course, few passing opportunities and a profusion of walls were among the complaints."

And before anyone runs & tells to the "pissy little bitch" at John's World :D ;) :Poke: this is a snip & not the entire story and here's the link http://venus.13x.com/roadracingworld/scripts/NewsInsert.asp?insert=6002

Last edited: May 10, 2003
  2. triumphman

triumphman Well-Known Member

Bob, do what I did when I didn't want to make the long trip to R-road ............Stay at home!!!!!:D save your time and money and come race at road A.If you come I'll play in v-5:) The Phantom

3. lizard84

No worrys Tim, you will get your chance to leave me in your wake...

I know some may feel that since I've only raced a token vintage race at Nelson the last few years & mostly done the Fasttrax thing full time for quite a while I have no place mouthing off about the North central schedule. They may be right, who the hell am I... Still, I do plan to do more Wera vintage, mostly Wera vintage in fact. There's a Fasttrax at Grattan this weekend, I'm sitting at home, I'd be at the Wera Grattan next week but for the trip to mexico. I know, I know, actions speak louder then words, it will be believed when it happens.

I have alot of travel planned for this year, I'm not about to say where, I'm just going to show up(sort of Phantom like :D) Not at RA in july however. I'm hurting for North central vintage races because of missing grattan & the Nelson vintage round was moved to the same date in sept as Tina's fall bodybuilding show, (In Atlanta! wonder of wonders :rolleyes: )

Now the GNF is another matter, I would like very much to come back there in oct, its been 12 or 13 years, I'm due.

Still, I've mapped out my Wera race plan for 03, it includes 7 vintage races, not counting the GNF! I may be over reaching but if I don't get killed with repair costs I can make it happen.

Back to my point, the Nashville round, I won't go if I don't have to. but it would be nice if the North Central vintage region would reflect the North central sportsman region. If it was that easy enough to change the Wera round that was to run in July at Nelson to sept, it should be just as easy to switch the North central vintage round at Nashville to the Nelson in june. Shouldn't it?

Bob

Last edited: May 10, 2003
  4. triumphman

triumphman Well-Known Member

Well ,I have no say so in what where and when but at least make the GNF.I will be at mid-ohio in july so look me up again.TIM

5. lizard84

Will do, I'll look you up at AHRMA's Mid-O :)

6. lizard84

More opinions from another thread on Nashville

http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27739

I've never even heard such onesided opinions when Nelson gets slammed...

Dump Nashville, if the new stuff is having that hard of a time just think how well vintage bikes will fare.

7. 191k

191k Well-Known Member

Bad Tracks

I remember when I was a Flat-Tracker in the '70s we went to the track, (a Half Mile) the morning of the race early. The track had Grass Growing on it. And car parts strewn about. They had a Demolition Derby the night before. They picked up the car parts and disc'd the track and we went racing.

Another time we went cherry-pickin at a 1/4 mile where they were gonna run bikes during intermission. Well you can imagine what it's like riding on a dirt track that hobby cars had just run on. And that wasn't even the worst part, They got the water they used to keep down dust from the local creek. The problem there was when they applied it to the track there were fish in it. I am not kidding! Live Fish! Ever tried racing a motorcycle on live fish!

My point here is what happened to the days we'd ride anywhere and as much as we could, just happy to be ridin'. As someone who's getting back into racing after a 25 year absence, well, I'd ride a TZ750 on the fish track just to be back racin'.

8. WERA33

WERA33 Well-Known Member

Back after 25 years! what are you building roadracer or flat track?

9. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

Quote: As someone who's getting back into racing after a 25 year absence, well, I'd ride a TZ750 on the fish track just to be back racin'.

Just because you are happy to be racing again, and we're happy to have you , doesn't mean your safety and the safety of your competitors isn't important. Sounds like Nashville will be one I'll skip in the running the North Central Vintage championship.

If you haven't been racing for 25 years I'll bet your bones are just a bit more brittle too!

It starts this weekend at Grattan. Hope to see everyone there in V5!

10. YAM#849

YAM#849 y'all watch this...

Board track? :p :D

11. 191k

191k Well-Known Member

poor babies

If I said I'd ride on the moon if that meant being able to ride, or how about the sun. Or at the bottom of the ocean?

I figured by saying that I would ride a TZ750 on a track covered with fish that folks would figure out I was using a euphemism.

But now that I know some of you are Fraidy-Cats I realize that switching from Flat Track to Road Racing is going to be much easier than anticipated.

12. JBall

We know flat trackers have no respect for their lives! Every corner (both of them) has hard things covered with hay bales and no run-off.

Favorite movie scene: From Any Sunday with the guy crashing though a 4 x 4 fence and then getting up to race again with a nice bloody nose to show for it.

Quote: "But now that I know some of you are Fraidy-Cats I realize that switching from Flat Track to Road Racing is going to be much easier than anticipated."

Bring it on man!

Good Luck and we'll see you at the races!:)

13. 191k

191k Well-Known Member

fraidy cats

I think you can tell I'm just kidding around. Dirt track racing was and is one tough Sport. Those gaurdrails and cement walls are some scary suckers. They took a couple of us every year.

But I do feel blessed to be able to come out and run bikes at my age, 46 y/o and if there are no gaurdrails, cement walls, well thats great!

But I tell you what, I won't put up with, this Nelson track if it smells as shitty as Lizard says it does, that's outrageous. I will not race at a track that smells, I bet it's loud too!

I plan on wearing dirt track style leathers, so you will all be able to recognize me by my Number 191. Dirt Track leathers have the number on the back.

"It ain't braggin' if you can do it"

14. JBall

46? pretty freakin' old...

(I'm 45)

15. lizard84

My biggest beef with the Nashville vintage round is that its in the Mid- Central Region for the sportsman series but for vintage we are stuck with it being a North Central regional round???? Whats up with that?

NORTH/CENTRAL

5/17-18 Grattan Raceway - Grattan, MI

5/31-6/1 Putnam Park Road Course -Mt. Meridian, IN

7/12-13 Nelson Ledges Road Course - Garrettsville, OH

8/9-10 Putnam Park Road Course - Mt. Meridian, IN - (D)

8/23-24 Grattan Raceway - Grattan, MI

10/11-12 Nashville Superspeedway - Nashville, TN - (D)

Plus, its double points.

The nelson round has already been moved to sept 27.

Make no mistake, Nelson is my home track, also, make no mistake, Nelson is a hole. It doesn't have restrooms, they are outhouses, its bumpy, some areas have been fixed but their's a LONG way to go.

But for whatever Nelson is or is not, its not a converted Nascar track with concrete everywhere, its runoff in many areas its full of ruts but again, its runoff, not walls.

And, its in region.

I haven't been to Nashville, but you can tell by reading the threads its not safe, sure, maybe nobody slammed into a wall last round, this time. Keep running on those kinds of tracks & it will happen, sooner or later. Who wants to live with that?

Maybe there is a fix? I don't know. One thing I do know, If we insist on running events at tracks with walls we better protect racers with airfence or not run it at all. Should we demand anything less?

I've run Mid-Ohio the last 4 years, I love the place, many hate it, there are alot of areas with walls you can hit. There is also a shitload of airfence everywhere...

Your both old fuckers... I'm only 44 & 1/2
    :D

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'll tell you the same thing that I do when riders complain about Nelson without having been there - try it first.

A lot of riders actually like the track.

The vintage bikes will actually have less problems because you won't be running as high on the banking as a brand new GSXR1000 will, that means the transitions on and off the fornt straight will be negligible.

We're going to work on the transition off the back straight, it should be a lot better next time there.

And don't vintage bikes have longer suspension travel anyway? :D

Seriously though, don't take everything you hear to heart. It takes some figuring out (there's actually too much pavement making for too many choices) but the track isn't that bad.