1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Federal Government Shutdown

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by galloway840, Jan 3, 2019.

1. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

In order for those people to not come back and have it improve things, you would have to change the laws and regulations.

Example: Micro breweries are having to sit on kegs of beer instead of selling them because they can't get the proper labels from the government due to the shut down. Clearly this is government overreach, but they can't sell the beer in kegs right now without fear of prosecution. The police and prosecutors are not on leave.The breweries are suing at this point to get assurances they will not be prosecuted if they sell their beer instead of letting it go bad. So having the office folks not there but the enforcement folks on the job is actually making a giant mess of things. You can't have the office people just not show up, you have to fix the laws and regulation as well.

2. galloway840

galloway840 Well-Known Member

I agree that a reduction in beer supply will suck. But, really? Suddenly all the microbreweries across the country are out of labels? They don't have a 1,2,3,4,5, or 6 month supply? Hard to imagine that government approval labels are included in JIT inventory. But, if it's true, then I agree it sucks.

It would be an ideal outcome if American's saw two things during this shutdown, 1) that it didn't really affect them, so maybe the services being provided aren't all that necessary, and/or 2) that in the areas they have been affected, the government is significantly more involved than they ought to be in a free country. Your government approved beer labels is a good case in point.

It is truly incredible the amount of money we dedicate to government, where the self-fulfilling tendency is to create ever more regulation that justifies the jobs they have. Michigan recreational fishing regulations are a good example for me. It's so damn complex I'm afraid to fish. Penalties can be significant for fishing in the wrong section of an otherwise legal stream or river and catching and eating the wrong darn fish.

3. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

It isn't about not having enough beer. It is about the possibility that some of these microbreweries will be going out of business or at least struggling and laying off workers.

I believe that the labels have to include information about the beer, so if you are a microbrewery and being inventive with new beers you can't exactly have a 6 month advanced supply of labels on hand for your latest creation or your once a year seasonal special brew.

This is just one example, but there are others as has been evidenced earlier in this thread. There are plenty more out there. No government paperwork means no loan for the purchaser of good which means no work for the producer of goods. I agree that if the government didn't have their tentacles so deeply woven into all our lives, them shutting down wouldn't be an issue. Unfortunately, they are in everything so no government means we have a mess that will keep getting worse as time goes by. That is particularly true if enforcement doesn't shut down with the offices, and that would include prosecution after the government opens back up. Good luck with that.

4. G 97

G 97 Garth

At some point the general citizenship has to step up one way or the other. The very limited shutdown is having such a small impact on the majority of peeps as a whole. At what point does someone continue to be beholden to a portions of the governments that is perpetually inefficient and returns little to no value to society.

In any event, this shutdown isn’t causing the level of crises that the illegals, liberals, Democrats and MSM are stating that it is.
    Life goes on pretty damn good with out the government that is shut down. The private sector will step up sooner or later and fill the void as they always do. I wish far more government were shutdown.

It’s rather sad when government needs the people more then the people need the government, which is the definition of non essential.

5. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

Still waiting for an example of the shutdown causing a crises that is greater than the cost of the constant stream of illegal invaders.

galloway840 likes this.
  6. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

A lot (not all) of positions/projects the gov't is involved in are basically jobs programs/corporate welfare. It keeps people employed that are otherwise unemployable in the private sector. There are some good capable people I've dealt with but they get dragged down if they show any initiative because it makes the others look bad. Most are obstructionists that spend more time trying to get out of work than doing it.

7. brex

brex Well-Known Member

The only negative thing I have seen from the shutdown is that all these non-essential workers are getting a paid vacation.

kangasj likes this.
  8. G 97

G 97 Garth

To be accurate @380,000 or so are not working. The other @420,000 or so are working with out pay. But to your point, the 380,000 should get nothing back because they haven’t worked. Only in government.

9. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

Ignore the "SHARE" part. Nobody cares if you agree. :)

[​IMG]

10. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Executive order would fix nearly all of that with the stroke of a pen. Most of those things aren't even laws, they're just administrative rules put in place by some nameless, faceless bureaucrat.

11. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I have seen absolutely zero negative impact. Honestly, if it weren't for the 24/7 news cycle (and this place of course), if you didn't tell me it was shut down, I would have never known. I have a couple of friends that mentioned camping at a private site on a recent trip because the National Park Service site was closed, but that is it.

G 97 and kangasj like this.
  12. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Exactly. Government projects allow people/projects/businesses that could not operate in the private sector because they're not competitive a chance to thrive with little to no real competition.

13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Anyone want to comment on the validity of this claim?

illegal electoral votes.jpg

14. kangasj

kangasj Banned

I read this was labels for new beers. So, we'll have to drink beers that are already in production. I think we'll be able to make it.....

https://reason.com/blog/2019/01/09/government-shutdown-means-no-new-beers-b

R Acree likes this.
  15. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Not sure if it's true or not but add AIPAC and CAIR to the last sentence

16. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

17. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

I am NOT a supporter of giving in to Pelosi but that is only partially true.

If you are a NASA contractor right now your employees likely cannot work and get paid. I guarantee they do not get back pay so must use leave or LWOP.

The right thing is being done by Trump however I dislike myths on impact from either side.

18. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Ive seen her a few times now at work...........she ain't that hot in person. Plus her being a commie=NO:flag:

blkduc likes this.
  19. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

The difference is ‘gov contractor’ vs. ‘gov employee’.

sheepofblue likes this.
  20. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

I imagine the wave of superiority and entitlement she exudes makes her less attractive. I might be wrong and she is fine in person but I doubt it.