1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Federal Government Shutdown

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by galloway840, Jan 3, 2019.

1. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

2. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Holy moly, NPR poll shows Latino support for Trump up 19% since the shutdown. The wall is going to be a yuuuge win and Trump knows this.
    Those Dems just threw away a chance to compromise :crackup:

K51000 and kangasj like this.
  3. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Did you go to The Onion by mistake?

4. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

kangasj likes this.
  5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

The solution!!

Motofun352, K51000 and kangasj like this.
  6. kangasj

kangasj Banned

:crackup::crackup::crackup:

7. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I said that a long time ago. you invade all the way down to the canal...problem solved. Lots of beach front property that comes with its own maintenance staff.

ryoung57 likes this.
  8. saintlaurent

saintlaurent Well-Known Member

Thats a great study you linked, had some nice info.

For example: page 19
    upload_2019-1-21_20-40-40.png
    Left column is definitely voting for trump in 2020, middle column is definitely voting against him, and third is undecided. Looks like he's really killing it right now like you keep saying.
    That's an average of 59% of the country that will definitely vote against him in 2020 if the ~1000 participants are extrapolated to the whole population.

9. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

Why the disdain for the laid-off federal workers? I could see if they were all mostly Motor Vehicle Administration employees (although it seems MVA services are starting to improve).

Anyway, is the lack of empathy a geographical thing? Mid-Atlantic area folks are taking action to support and aid people out of work.

I guess that phrase ("people out of work") is what I'm emphasizing. Granted, we should be prepared. But not always possible.

Thank god I'm prepared.

10. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

They aren't out of work and they are going to get all their pay so they are basically being paid to do nothing. I have little sympathy for their inability to save and plan for this type of event.

kangasj likes this.
  11. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

I forgot about that. Thanks for the reminder. On the one hand, I do see your point. On the other hand, well, still, many of us might've been there at one point. I'm not advocating a handout for them. Just saying...the empathy is lacking a bit.

12. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

There are contractors that are being forced to use their leave or take leave without pay. Sounds like out of work to me.

13. G 97

G 97 Garth

And yet the majority of the 327 million population isn’t missing a beat.
    Life goes on pretty damn good.
    I’m hoping that most of them get let go permanently.

14. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

Sounds like the perfect opportunity for you to call or write Dem leadership and get them to end the Democrat shutdown.

kangasj and R Acree like this.
  15. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

If you want to work on reducing government, we could just as easily start with the farm subsidies including the ethanol mandates.

As I have previously stated. Having these folks not be at work isn't changing the laws on the books, but it is impacting people. It may not have reached you or people you know yet, but it will given time. When this is resolved they will all go back to work and little will have changed except some people that were living paycheck to paycheck will be having a lot harder time paying off additional debt while dealing with impacted credit ratings.

As to the "Oh my, people have to stand in long lines for free food!" What a bunch of crap. They are getting free food. If they really need it, standing in a long line and getting free food at the end of it is a blessing and they know it.

I think both sides need to do some compromising to get things moving again. Oddly enough it looks like the President made the first move on the compromise and the Democrats slapped his offer in the face. I think that was a bad move on Democrats part. They now look like the ones not willing to talk about getting things to a resolution.

Britt likes this.
  16. R Acree

R Acree Banned

They have been since the start.

galloway840 likes this.
  17. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Remind us again who said "this is my shutdown, i will own it".

18. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Remind us again Who keeps saying NO to any and all offers for Compromise??
    Let me help you out... Pelosi, Schumer..and their ilk

Fonda Dix and kangasj like this.
  19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Remind me again who is refusing to even discuss compromise. If you think the dems aren't at least equally responsible for this, you are an idiot.

Fonda Dix and kangasj like this.
  20. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

And dare I say, he is owning it. He's given an olive branch to the Dems on one of their HUGE "issues".