1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fear switch broken???

Discussion in 'General' started by 50Joe, Mar 3, 2018.

1. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

Fear ? ... never heard of her... :)

that said, not enough money out there to get me to bungee jump or sky dive.

baconologist and BigBird like this.
  2. slimjim00

slimjim00 Well-Known Member

You say a lot of dumb stuff, but this is not one of those times.

3. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

I have my lucid moments.

slimjim00 likes this.
  4. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

I'm trying to get my head right so I don't fall into the same habits as years past. Basically just learning to ride calm and at %80-90 so I don't destroy my body and bike more. Which this thread got me thinking if I would even enjoy racing if I wasn't a %110 all the time. Maybe there is just something inherilently wrong with how our minds react to fear. I've always gotten all giddy and kind of happy when I just escape major accidents.

5. Phl218

Phl218 .

that's what , not ruined, but taken the blast out of it for me a bit. i will give it another shot this year.

6. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Phil, imo part of getting older is learning to enjoy these pleasures more responsibly. Not an easy thing to do when you've experienced the euphoria of a screaming engine and a close on track battle... Riding a tad slower and not constantly fighting at 100% (or above) of your capacities is an acquired taste. Personally, this year, with my new VFR build, my goal is to enjoy being on the track with a beautiful and kind of exclusive bike, exchanging a few passes with my fellow racers, and just being happy with that. I think being a "gentleman racer" will suit me just fine.

5axis and Phl218 like this.
  7. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Picked up my new Atomic X9 race skis and headed to the mountain with a good (and fast) friend. After 2 runs to figure out how these new boards wanted to run, I took off. Got to the bottom about 30 seconds ahead of him (this is not usually the case). He's wondering what hell got into me....I dunno, just seemed to be the way to go. Speed is not an issue for most of us, just the opposite. Never crossed my mind that a yard sale would hurt.

ToofPic and Phl218 like this.
  8. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

He's 37.

9. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Didn't say he was old, just that like everyone, he's getting older and with more responsibilities.

10. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

He's just a young pup.

11. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

It's more that the pain and frustration of crashing and getting hurt seems more appealing then loosing or getting off the bike thinking I could have tried harder. I too am getting older, not as much in like (I'm 30) but in racing. This will be my 6th season and I feel somewhat accomplished. I have some stories and some awards to share. The real goal is to be one of the guys running at %80 and still being up front I guess.

12. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Technology is a wonderful thing, at times.
    My last/latest foray into snow put me on skis that were decades ahead of what I was used to. Funny how I found the fall-line without even tryin'...like consistently gettin' a knee down for the first time, or trailbraking without fear, or making line corrections in the heat of T1...
    It didn't make me a better skier, it allowed me to be the skier I'm capable of being.

Phl218 likes this.