1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favorite place to live on the east coast

Discussion in 'General' started by Six3SixGal, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Six3SixGal

Six3SixGal Official WERA Cat Lady

I believe in minimalism. 800-1250 square feet... but with a large yard/plot to play on. No income tax in nice (same here in WA with 10% sales tax) because I dont really buy anything that's not moto related. Personal Property tax is something I'd like to avoid with the bikes.

2. Six3SixGal

Six3SixGal Official WERA Cat Lady

Too cold :P

3. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

Moved to East TN (Knoxville) from Maine about 10 years ago. I have lived all over the country and world. Overall, East/Middle TN is a pretty solid choice. A little too hot for too long for me but better than 10-foot high snow banks. No income tax is a big plus. Sales tax is high but property tax is exceptionally low. Vehicle registration is like $64 or less per year. Move to the right area and schools are pretty decent if that is or will be a concern in a few years. If you like the ocean it's not close, at least by my standard (7-8 hour drive). Bunch of great riding and most tracks aren't too far away. Housing is pretty cheap. You can find lots of 1200-1500 square foot homes under 200k, some much less.

I like Ohio and Western Maryland pretty well too, just never found them as affordable as East Tn.

4. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

Avoid Richmond then.

5. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

Greenville or Charleston SC

Phl218 likes this.
  6. WANABE RACER

WANABE RACER Well-Known Member

Greensboro ,nc. I am 45 min from vir, 2 hours ncbike, 3 hours from cmp, 5 hours from roebling, 5.5 hours from road A, and 5 hours from summit.
    Jobs are good. There are a ton of people that commute from gsbo to Raleigh, to durham, chapel hill and so on. Just a suggestion.

fixerflyer likes this.
  7. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Asheville area is the only place around here, other than the keys, I would choose to live.
    Mts, outdoors not 100f and 100% humidity 2 months out of the year.
    Have fun

8. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Charlotte has lots of tech as well particularly if you don't mind working in the banking sector.

As to the left wing politics of Charlotte, you will find that in just about any city of that size. Richmond would be at least as bad. Unless you just have to "live in the city" it really isn't an impact. Sounds like you want to live a bit outside of town anyway to get that sized lot. The murder areas are typically located in pockets. Avoid them and not really an issue, same as most any city of any size.

In any growing area like Raleigh, finding a place where you can ride your dirt bikes on your property without going way out, will be a challenge. All of those properties have been turned into sub-divisions with HOA rules that I am sure will not allow riding your dirt bikes.

9. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

What a shame. Loudoun was so nice 35 years ago.

10. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Didn't you watch The Wire ? :eek:

:D

11. speedkelly

speedkelly Well-Known Member

I have a 2nd home in Winston Salem NC. Really nice little city. They call it the city of Arts. Housing is cheap, people are liberal. Lots of great places to eat. Close to the mountains. Check it out. Way nicer than either Charlotte or Raleigh.

cpettit likes this.
  12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Dude, if you left 5 years ago, it'd be unrecognizable.

It takes a scary kind of illness To design a place like this for pay
    Downtown’s an endless generic mall Of video games and fast food chains

13. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Like way over on the right? Why?

You're already on the better coast. Just go south until it doesn't suck. :D

MachineR1 likes this.
  14. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

I moved from Seattle to Atlanta area.

I still have my house near Atl, but currently living in Jacksonville Fl.

Both are pretty nice. I'm glad I don't have to choose one.

15. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Chile? :confused:

JBraun likes this.
  16. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Nah, Peru should be far enough. Too cold in most of Chile.

17. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Just stopped there for dinner on the way back from picking up a bike in Statesville. Although our exposure was very limited, it did seem surprisingly "cosmopolitan". We ate at a brewpub downtown, had the best fish+chips I've had anywhere then drank some more at the wine/beer joint a couple doors down.

18. speedkelly

I like Finnigans Wake, you most likely went to the Foothills Brew pub, both good choices. For a small city, I'm always pleasantly surprised at the good restaurants we have in W-S.

You can buy a really nice house for little coin, plus the chance to get some land if you want to live a little ways out from the city.

19. speedkelly

For anyone making the trip to W-S. This great place to go eat http://thetaverninoldsalem.ws/tavern-supper-menu/ the Crawfish & Grits are to die for. It's very reasonably priced too. Plus a fun place to walk around after you have eaten your meal.

20. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

If you enjoy widespread violence, political corruption, high taxes, expensive housing, and a garbage school system...Baltimore would love to have you!