1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favorite front tire

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Rob P, Apr 13, 2015.

1. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

well.. it will get a TAD less expensive to be on Michelin.. they are offering a "buy 2 rears-get 1 front free" deal starting may 1st on the new EVO tires. My guess is and leftover current cup tires will be discounted.

2. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Good to know I have a lot of events upcoming.

3. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

I'll be buying in bulk with that deal :)

4. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

If you know your tire guy well, they will cut some pretty amazing deals on the cups. Cant say how much, but I just picked up a set for an early may race, and I wasnt looking for a set.

5. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

yup

6. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Actually Greg I've been running a SS600 and SB750 since the Road America "incident" last year for a few reasons. One of the most important of those reasons is simply because the competition forces improvement in my riding, something I wasn't going to get around here anyway on LTWT grids.

Anyway, looking forward to the new Mich slicks!

7. awalk9905

awalk9905 Well-Known Member

That's only for the initial set though, correct?

8. MELK-MAN

the buy 2 rears get free front deal, is for a limited time, but i do not think it's a one time thing. Will confirm that though..

i hear ya, and agree the depth of talent will be deeper in the 600 class, and on the 750 grid with lots of guys "riding up" on a 600.. best way to improve skill for sure. It's nice for Seth and I, being decent mid wt riders riding "down" a class. We are often saying to ourselves with some lt wt riders "why are you braking already???" :)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  9. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Oh and just to be clear, I run over half my season with MCRA where the 250 class has decimated the LTWT grids. LTWT grids have been reduced to maybe 3 bikes. The GT grid which for MCRA is 600cc+ to unlimited have 15+ racers every weekend. There are fast LTWT with decent grids at CCS and WERA events.

10. Redlining52

Redlining52 Well-Known Member

Never tried a Michelin front but have really liked the Pirelli SC2

11. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Best tire eva!

:D

12. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

Roy, this is what I've been talking about. We can do it.

That is the first purchase. From there on it's a little different, but you still get free tires.

13. MELK-MAN

I wouldn't have said anything about that offer yet, but there was a shop up north already posting aboutit. i didn't want people to think the other vendors were not doing it. I suspect exact details, and the offer itself, was not supposed to be discussed till May 1

14. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

All Michelin vendors got together and are offering the same deals across the country. They wanted it to be consistent no matter where you went

15. bidwell

bidwell Well-Known Member

I made the switch to Michelin back in '07 on the strength of their steep profile slick fronts and never looked back.

I'm intrigued by the "evo" slicks, especially with the incentive pricing, but would like to understand more about them. Does anyone have any facts about what differentiates them from the "ultimate" slicks?

16. MELK-MAN

i figured that would be the case.. but one vendor was already discussing it, where others had yet to do so, waiting on the May 1 "official" release date..

17. MELK-MAN

i have only limited data and time on these, but i have raced a little (very little) on both.. the ultimate fronts seem to be quite similar to evo, although it's my belief the ultimate front is firmer. On the little time i have been on them, the EVO front dot is my favorite tire .. ever. And i can't wait to try the slick fronts. The "V" profile for most part is still there, but a hair shorter and a hair wider i'm told .

the ultimate rear is a different animal ALTOGETHER, where the EVO rear is quite similar to the current cup rear (multi compound across the tire, thin carcass, fairly flexible). Ultimate has a slightly harder feeling compound with more outright drive grip than the A or B cup tires we have been on though. (will point out the Evo also has a firmer "feel" on track, with more drive grip than the A or B that tend to spin a bit).

The ULTIMATE is a SINGLE compound from EDGE TO EDGE (but will have different compounds available vs evo that will have one tire) that has a firm layer underneath the soft 'drive' layer to give it firmness. But beware.. Once you get through that soft drive layer, it's like riding on a compound best equated to a knee puck (yea, ya better be paying attention). So.. you can't run them way past the rain sipes down to cords like you could the current cup or new evo. It's designed for a FEW sprints, or one 20+- lap race, and costs a lot more than the evo. I did go about 1/2 a second faster at HMS on the ultimate DOT rear though vs ANY tire i have ever raced on a 600 (like, in 12 years of racing there, slick or otherwise).
    If you have the extra $ (not sure on how much but we will know May 1st and it IS more than Evo ) it is a faster tire, but for those stretching tires till sipes are gone, this will not be the ideal choice.

Also, although the ultimate rear FEELS like a harder carcass when off the rim and pushing on it with your hands, at temp, it's a softer carcass tire. Mega grip at lean, but that brings into question setup changes.. some may fine it make the rear of the bike "pump" a lot. I'm sure with time, this will be solved and more will be able to go faster on this tire.

For now, the EVO is a "mount and go... fast".. tire, that will have a great price point.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  18. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Looks like I will be avoiding the Ultimate like the plague. I have body parts that hurt every morning thanks to the early 90's stick till they highside you in to next week Michelins. Sounds like the Ultimate is for fast guys with a tire sponsor...

19. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

If you use Michelins, you'll get laid every night by a supermodel, you'll become a millionaire, and your lap times will be faster than Rossi's...

20. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

Greg, I had seen that also. I was waiting to let the details out.