1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Factory Pro "Shift Star"

Discussion in 'Tech' started by kaneohekid, Apr 14, 2007.

1. kaneohekid

kaneohekid Registered Abuser

2. Big Deezul

Big Deezul Gossamer has MOJO!!!

anything factorypro makes is going to be awesome. If it wasnt, they simply wouldnt put it out there. I dont have one because they do not make one for my bike

3. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

I have one on my 636 and love it.

You'll like it.

4. kaneohekid

kaneohekid Registered Abuser

Is the shifting vastly improved over stock just curious??? Basically I want to know dose the actuall shift stroke decrease between gears (the distance that the shift lever has to travel up or down to switch between gears)?? That's my problem I feel that the shifting is "loose" or has just too much play for my liking if that makes any sense??

thanks for the input guys!!:up:

5. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

It clicks on and locks there. It will not move without your input. This is in a perfect world with out worn things in your tranny.

6. swiftscott

swiftscott Active Member

In my experience, with the shift star, and stronger spring that comes with it, the tranny "snaps' into gear more quickly and positively on each shift. With clutchless upshifting there was no question that you had popped into the next gear, it was just a more positive gearchange. I don't think the distance the lever travels changes, it just takes a little more pressure to initiate a gearchange then "snap", your firmly into the next gear. I was glad I bought it and I am cheap as hell.

7. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Troy to shorten your shift stroke go talk to Brett from MotoBits (he's in our paddocks as he is a local racer). He has alot of knowledge in this area and has parts that allows you to shorten up the shift stroke.

8. banzai132

banzai132 Oh shit! not again!

It would be nice to see some sort of hardening on the surface of the star. Mine had gouges in it after 6months of use. But I also installed a 96-99 shift spring at the same time for good measure.
    2001 gsxr 750. I don't have to explain the tranny problems with those things do I?

9. wannabejames

wannabejames Well-Known Member

I had the kit on my 636...I initially bought it to 'bandaid' a tranny issue (false neutrals) and it worked great. Shifting was positive and required less lever travel than stock. I liked it, but unfortunately my transmission went boom after 4 months. Up until that point it was great and I'm sure would have been better had it not been for my messed up tranny. :down:

Ah yes, and I'm cheap as Shite...hence the bandaid.

10. Marc Salvisberg

Marc Salvisberg Uncommonly outspoken

Hi -

Regarding our STAR shortening up the shift throw:

People kept calling an telling me that the shift throw was shortened with our STAR. I said "Great! Glad you're happy!".
    I hung up and just figured that some people get fooled and, "whatever".... It's all good, even with mythical improvements. Sometimes we get lucky.

So - I'm sitting there, thinking about it one day - and and it came to me....
    Racer's only move the controls "just far enough" to make the "action" happen. Like, you don't roll the throttle all the way off during a shift, you don't pull the clutch all the way in during a shift... and..... if the stock transmission will normally complete a shift with only 25mm travel, well, you sure will only move it 25mm on the track - and no more.

The Shift STAR kits work better than the stock stars for a few different reasons - you might only have to move the lever, maybe, 21mm before the STAR takes over and completes the shift.

(I totally made up the 25mm and 21mm figures - Just about every bike is different.)

Best regards -

Marc

Last edited: Dec 28, 2007
  11. Big Deezul

Big Deezul Gossamer has MOJO!!!

Awesome post from the factory pro man himself!!! Thanks for the info Marc:beer:

12. Marc Salvisberg

Marc Salvisberg Uncommonly outspoken

Welcome!!!!

M

13. salvagerider

salvagerider Well-Known Member

Marc, I took the shift star out of my 06 Honda 600rr and put in in my 07, I noitced the spring in th 07 is a little different. so I kept the stock spring. Im afraid thats no going to work (to soft). The kit spring seems way to stiff to even install. Maybe I should use a stock 06 spring? motor is out of bike right now can't test. Also when are the 07-08 v-stacks coming out. Im useing the 06 style in the 07, but I know they should be a bit shorter. thanks

14. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

No good deed goes unpunished...

15. Auron

Auron Well-Known Member

My F4 was jumping out of gear and almost everyone here said I needed a new tranny. $199 and a shift star later, no problems.