1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Explosion at Japanese nuclear plant

Discussion in 'General' started by RichB, Mar 12, 2011.

1. banzai132

banzai132 Oh shit! not again!

How about a PB sammich brudda?

2. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Continuously updated links including twitter feed from Japan Prime Minister's office.

http://ansnuclearcafe.org/

"At 9:20, "vent" for primary containment vessel of Unit 3 was started. Cooling of the container is expected to be realized by this measure."

I'm not sure what that means but it's probably not safe to breathe it.

3. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

I see no mention for the distribution of iodine pills in the blurb 'toe posted. Which reminds me, I haven't seen iodine on pharmacy shelves in a long time ...

4. Chumbucket

Chumbucket Well-Known Member

We live near a nuke plant, there was a big public awareness drive and a free, "here's your iodine tab," giveaway a few years back around here...We have 'em laying around here somewhere...

5. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

I live near Fermi in Monroe, MI. I think I'm in the 15 or 20 mile zone, whichever.

Every year I get a flyer from the feds/county. A voucher to go to the pharmacy for I think it is potassium iodide for free.

Then the little pamphlet states what to do, etc.

6. joec

joec brace yourself

A good friend of mine who lives over in Yokahama emailed me this morning and said both the Fukishima and Chiba plants are actually on fire. (?) Apparently neither are being contained. She also says the radiation leaks/fears are of huge concern by everyone as many people have been exposed already. She has missing family members also. The more I speak with her, the more it seems the media is definitely not getting the story right. Either way, its not good.

7. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

I know there's a coupla guys on here that actually work(ed) on nukes... perhaps they could sound off on this issue.

I keep hearing about them dumping seawater on at least two of these reactors... and notwithstanding the obvious corrosion issues, what little I do recall of what little I did learn before I rocked out of nuke school, there's a bigger reason you don't want to just dump cold water on a nuke. The temperature of that part of the ocean is somewhere around 45°F. That results in a higher water density, which, for reasons beyond the scope of this post, actually can result in an increase in the rate of fission in a reactor.

Sounds like a last-ditch panic measure to me.

RCJohn? Labrat? What say y'all?

8. caferace

caferace No.

CNN just said a volcano erupted today in the southern part of the country.

I feel for those folks...

-jim

9. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Damn, what did they do? Zeus is angry.

10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

This stuff could have been scripted and shot in Hollywood!

11. klebs01

klebs01 Well-Known Member

Maybe it really is the moon being close to earth.

12. caferace

caferace No.

Odds are someone in Hollywood is already working on it...

-jim

13. joec

joec brace yourself

the volcano makes some sense. with the plates moving so much.....not a surprise its opening things up.

14. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

And before I forget. The Japanese appear to be taking all of this pretty well, or at least, as well as they can. No reports of riots, no looting or any real behavior that could be characterized as general civil unrest. I don't expect to hear about any of this retrospectively either. It's just fascinating from a cultural standpoint. I can easily imagine the ramifications of an event like this elsewhere in more familiar parts of the world ...

15. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

*cough* here *cough*:down:

I know without a doubt people here will go apeshit. Thus why SHTF preparedness is something I am working on for sure

16. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

the japanese are the LAST people that would do some shit like that. being civil and reserved is INGRAINED in their whole culture.

17. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Japanese GP is in about 5-6 weeks (April 22nd). Motegi is 100 km North of Tokyo, or roughly 200-250km South of Sendai.

This earthquake beats an Icelandic Volcano anyday...

18. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

19. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

Lord forbid we miss a GP. Nevermind the tens of thousands dead and all :rolleyes:

20. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Great link.

This covered what I was talking about with my post earlier... it's in the second to last graf before the bullet points at the end: ...""Also, boric acid has been added to the seawater. Boric acid is “liquid control rod”. Whatever decay is still going on, the Boron will capture the neutrons and further speed up the cooling down of the core.""...