1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Explosion at Japanese nuclear plant

Discussion in 'General' started by RichB, Mar 12, 2011.

1. derby369

derby369 Well-Known Member

just confirmed this is, indeed, what they are referring to.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I can absolutely guarantee they do not give a shit about the GP.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Huh? You think that people should give a shit about the GP in comparison to the disaster in Japan? WTF?

4. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

Oops, I think I read that the wrong way.

Sorry Jim.

5. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

"About 150 people from populations around the plant have received monitoring for radiation levels. The results have resulted in measures being taken to decontaminate 23 people."

6. Rain Director

Rain Director Old guy

Wait! You mean, like, grammar actually has a place on the inter-tubes?? And it's proper use can stop mis-interpretation of a poster's remarks?

Get out! No way!

7. derby369

derby369 Well-Known Member

8. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

The DoE QC guy we were working with this morning at the Oak Ridge National Lab spent a few years as an operator on GE plants just like the ones in Japan. He's also operated pressurized water reactors and had good knowledge of Navy reactors. He desribed the entire process that happens in an event like just happened and explained the likely scenario that led to the explosions and gave details of the safety systems and how they are suppose to work. His opinion this morning was that all of the news companies be shutdown. :D He said there is so much misinformation being put out.

It was really neat to talk with someone face to face that could explain the differences between the Navy reactors, the pressurized water reactors and the boiling water reactors and their safety functions. Had someone to ask questions to that knew how to explain my gaps in detail knowledge on the Japanese situation.

It's one thing for me to understand reactor physics but nice to see how the safety systems and operations are involved.

The Japanese have a really rough road ahead with everything. :(

9. Game

Game zip tie master

Misread also, still a little tasteless

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

How so?

11. yetidave

yetidave Well-Known Member

Background radiation in Tokyo is 10X normal. All but a handful of techs have evacuated the plant. Those left behind are being described as "heroes making a last ditch effort."
    If you're the praying type, now might be a good time to keep the Japanese in your thoughts.

12. LabRat

LabRat Well-Known Member

10X normal does not mean it is bad... if normal was 2mr, and it is now 20mr, that is not bad, Everyone is throwing around 'multiples' of normal, but no one says what is normal. Now if normal is 250mr... Ok, concern is warranted

13. Demented

Demented Well-Known Member

It's funny how people freak out about radiation levels and don't even know a damn thing about radiation.

14. Inquizid

Inquizid Member Well-Known

One of my inlaws is among the top guys from the field, (Before he retired). He says with the rod exposed and hydrogen explosions the safety zone should be at least 20 miles.

15. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

There in no "good" radiation. I am sure they need some "sponges" over there and they'll pay big. Book your flight.

16. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Wow, that's exactly what I thought when I read his post: I don't know much about radiation, but I've never heard of the good kind.

17. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Many doctors would disagree with that "no good radiation" statement. ;)

18. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

He's not as close to the top as he thinks. :D

But seriously, 20 is pretty damn accurate from what I've been hearing. 17 and 19 miles are the minimum numbers I've been hearing.

19. 418

418 Expert #59

:rolleyes:

20. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Yeah that's why they go stand behind the lead wall while you are getting X-Rays.