1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exploding Deer at Summit

Discussion in 'General' started by rus23, Jun 13, 2010.

1. maidenamerica71

maidenamerica71 expect the unexpected

after the rider hits the deer, and the second rider mastered coming back onto the track....why is there a corner worker walking across the hot track????

that seems to be an question that really needs to be answered.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It was already answered by the corner worker. There was no one behind rider 2, the cw had a clear line of sight and was headed to help the downed rider.

You guys keep this shit up and I'm banning video cameras on bikes. Even when answers are IN THE THREAD you're all still looking for things you can consider unsafe, it's ridiculous.

3. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

To me he appeared that he was in an all out sprint.

4. Chumbucket

Chumbucket Well-Known Member

Look, gawd...First race this Spring at VIR, right? It's cold at night, yeah, yeah, I know, I used to be hard core, now I'm just old and it's freakin' cold first race down there, it always is. So we grabbed a room at the track, not the cool guy one down in the pits, but in the lodge overlooking the backstraight down toward turn 4 and that double apex right...Now Saturday at sun up I stumble out of the door of the room to wake up and wait on the coffee maker and huff down a Marlboro -- yeah, healthy regimen I have going there, I know -- and what is waiting to greet me as I pry my eyes open to a new day? A herd of freaking deer on the opposing slope inside the track perimeter along the backstraight down towards Four...Not one or two, a bunch...And they aren't more than 100 meters away from a tent compound that was truly impressive. That track was hot no more than three hours later.

VIR? OK? It's a road course, it's in a rural area, there are going to be deer...Now I've heard proposals about remove all the trees in the infield at Summit? Do what? How many trees have you ever seen at a NASCAR track like Pocono? Zero...How about VIR? Uh huh, and the deer are there...Fences, trees, it's all bullshit. Some of you guys act like you can eradicate deer from an area, great, tell me how to do it because I know a neighborhood adjacent to Georgetown in DC where I could make a fortune doing just that because those overgrown rats are eating every bazillionairs' wife's shrubs up and down Foxhall Road. And we're talking metro Washington DC for cryingoutloud...So tell me what the secret is?

If you decide to break the speed of sound on a motorcycle you are going to have to come to terms with risks. Many you can control, some you can control to an extent, some you cannot control at all...AT ALL...Mongo has said repeatedly that reasonable efforts have been taken at Summit to do the best they can with the deer. OK?

Assess the risk and make your own decision, at every track, or in a few cases here, maybe about racing itself.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  5. charles

charles The Transporter

Very true, very true. It's a personal decision, and there are risks.

6. antvanlooy

antvanlooy Well-Known Member

So you've seen prevention huh? hmmmmmmmmm, you must have dreamt that one Mongo, and no of course i haven't talked to track management, im not sure it exists for that circuit...? and your right, im no expert on keeping deer or wildlife in check, but i like to think i am an expert in self preservation and trying to highlight a known..................yes well known problem with that track in particular.
    Not too sure why you're so protective of it, you've obviously never had a close call with uncontrolled wildlife at speed..................it kind of puts a dampner on the day if you understand what im saying.................

Awww you've hurt my feelings now, i thought the 'blazing saddles' quip was one of my best.......................mind you it did lean to the more Satirical side of humour, so i expected you to struggle with it. Anyway i think ill throw another shrimp on the barbie!

round and round in circles we goooooo!!! weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

7. Chumbucket

Wow....Jens, who assumed the reins when his dad Bill passed on, has been nothing but responsive to REAL needs at that track for racers, and he's come on to this board on to occasion to explain things like the new asphalt, which is by FAR a greater contribution to safety than any of this deer crap...I've raced at that facility for 25 years, if it doesn't meet your finely developed sense of safety for your preservation, stay on the couch...

I worry more about idiots that can't even complete one lap first practice out in the morning and go head first into the air fence between four and five trying to win the first lap practice GP...

You're just getting insulting now...

8. JAB

JAB Well-Known Member

I`d ban this f*^kin clown and a few others from racing WERA anymore....nothing but a liability.

9. rus23

rus23 Misfit

Times two.

10. charles

charles The Transporter

Why ban anyone for free speech? He's just expressing himself.

11. Chumbucket

He ain't racing WERA anyway? How much you wanna bet? Deer...

12. charles

charles The Transporter

You should ask him, Chummie...go on, ask him.

13. Chumbucket

Charles? I think a cold front just moved through...Go consult your tea leaves and swap some jets...

14. charles

charles The Transporter

I know you're still grieving about the drain plug incident but don't allow that bad feeling to bleed over into this discussion. I don't do tea leafs and I told you already, jetting is moot.

Ask him. Go on.

15. charles

charles The Transporter

Did you ever install the crank?

16. Chumbucket

Polish my crank, Charles, I'm gonna go spend some time with the wife, she's a soothing influence, unlike this nonsense...

17. charles

charles The Transporter

Does this mean we ain't friends no more, Chummie?

18. antvanlooy

antvanlooy Well-Known Member

your attention is drawn to this: http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=10378

Seems a crying shame to me, a few seem to have taken this personally, its not meant that way, but there is a problem with Summit.

Im not sure what this has to do with WERA either.............

Well thanks for your input, i'm only airing my concerns, if i've offended people, then it certainly is not intentional, as for banning people from joining race clubs?..........................someone needs to grow up.
    Im sure large fences around the circuit would be the best solution, although im sure they would cost a fortune.

19. Chumbucket

I yearn for you tragically, Charles, you know that...You oil burning cretin...

20. Chumbucket

Oh and Mongo? I'm worried a meteor is going to crash on my head, please put up an overhead fence as well, because I'm sure that would help...