1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exotic Animals

Discussion in 'General' started by TheGrouchyCat, May 24, 2017.

1. TheGrouchyCat

TheGrouchyCat Don't let my friends know I'm slow

Hey everyone,

Recently I've been thinking about adopting a new friend and wanted you guys' opinion on exotics. I'm sure the exotic animal experts are few and far between here, but on the beeb everyone's an expert right?? :) I've always loved raccoons growing up and used to feed them in the back yard at the farmhouse. Doing more research, I've heard that foxes that have been domesticated through generations are really nice to have around. They have the playful energy of dogs and are very friendly.

What are your opinions on treating these animals as pets? If you're against the domestication process, should you be against having dogs as well? Or do you think they just aren't domesticated enough yet?

Cheers,
    Grouchy

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. TheGrouchyCat

I've done a lot of research and know a lot of the risks, laws, responsibilities, etc. but I just wanted an open discussion. I'm going to see a baby raccoon tomorrow just for fun.

3. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

I have both dogs and cats in the house so it ain't happening but I'd love to have a fennec fox as a pet.

TheGrouchyCat likes this.
  4. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

These are "exotic" pets?

5. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

I've known people that had raccoons. They are absolutely hilarious. But "raccoon proof" is about 1000x tougher than "baby-proof". They will get into EVERYTHING you own at some point. Funny little critters though with a ton of personality.

turtlecreek and TheGrouchyCat like this.
  6. TheGrouchyCat

I believe they are legally classified as exotics. Beyond that it's a matter of opinion I suppose. I've seen more raccoons than dogs just walking to my car here.

7. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Almost bought a raccoon from a legal breeder last year.Had to get a special license from DNR,but decided last minute we are just too busy for one,and it wouldnt have been fair to the animal to be penned up from us being too busy,so we decided not to do it.

SpeedyE and BigBird like this.
  8. :stupid:

I've known 2 people that had them as pets and said they were a lot of fun and really funny....but very mischievous. They will get into everything.

9. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

I heard that raccoons are "evolving" into city critters and have figured out how to open trash can lids that have latches.

How long before they learn how to steal your car?

10. keevo54

keevo54 Well-Known Member

I have heard foxes will mark everything no matter what you do and can be very unpredictable at times.

11. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Are there raccoons in New Jersey?

12. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

Man I dunno, but my experience with trash pandas is that they are mean little critters. Babies =/= adults.

13. When I read "exotic animals", I thought the OP was looking to get Richard Parker.

14. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Well they're already sporting the mask...

15. MotoGP1199

MotoGP1199 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Just overfeed them and they will be too lazy to do anything.

[​IMG]

masshole likes this.
  16. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Calling a raccoon "exotic" is funny. We call them varmints...

SpeedyTide and renegade17 like this.
  17. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

We had a coon for a pet for a couple years when I was 6-8 ish, late 60's. My dad took one out of a nest in a big tree behind the house. Thing was smart, used to get into everything. Dad built a cage for him outside but he roamed free all day, in and out of the house. had a black Lab puppy too, they'd play together for hours. Mom used to make him a scrambled egg every morning for breakfast and he loved plain Hershey chocolate bars. He'd unwrap it himself.
    One day he just disappeared, was outside with my mother when she was working in the garden and vanished. Always figured the call of the wild finally took over. Never saw him again, kept watching around outside for a while figuring he'd be hanging around but apparently not.

SpeedyE and Metalhead like this.
  18. BigBird

BigBird blah

I would not try to domesticate anything. It can be dangerous, and for us with little kids around, it's a no go.

As much as I love having furry family members, with our current configuration we just do not have enough time and that will be unfair to all.

19. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Isn't exotic a monkey or jungle animal? A fox and coon are local wild animals. LOL

Gorilla George likes this.
  20. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

foxes need ALOT OF ATTENTION, AND VENTING FOR THEIR ENERGY. they get into EVERYTHING, AND CAN GET OUT OF ALMOST ANY BARRIER, FENCE, CAGE ECT... don't do that to an animal, unless you have the time to be at home, most of the day, AND it goes with you EVERYWHERE, FOR IT'S LIFE. which will be 10-15 years. sounds like you are more bored than anything. get a hobby, not a pet. in my opinion. Ski

SpeedyE, rcmike917, auminer and 2 others like this.