1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ever heard of Aaron Swartz?

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Inquizid

Inquizid Member Well-Known

2. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Agreed there are too many pills getting passed around in lieu of actual therapy. Even legit patients soon learn the right words to say to get the meds they want. Other than a blood test it's still rather medieval science.

3. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

You don't better society through external means. You better society by working within the system.

Sure it takes longer and you don't "get as much stuff done" but the results are much more predictable and much more lasting.

Once you realize this, things get easier as you no longer are working upstream but you are able to chip away as your goals while people start to just believe what you are trying to do. Think Inception.

4. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

I very much disagree with this statement and I'm not uneducated in these matters.

5. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Keep in mind that, even with treatment, some can't be helped. Depression coupled with PTSD is a lot to deal with. After years of war, you have people who have been dealing with this stuff for years and at some point, they just get tired.
    They certainly need more treatment than is available.
    Sad to say, death is the only thing that can bring peace to some.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Little bit of both - the bs non real mental issues that people get drugged for in suburbia need the fools to harden the fuck up. However the true chemical issues that are affecting a lot fo people including service peeps need to be accepted as being real and honestly not being that big of a deal - as long as they're treated. They're like a broken leg or a sprain or an infection, the shit needs to be fixed but because of the wanna be mental illnesses they're looked at as being lesser people - which is pure and utter bullshit since they have real issues not the pussy ones.

7. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

do tell, what is your education level on these matters.

personal experience is nice...but state formal educational experience.

I can state both if needed as well as 2 years spent working/interning dealing with this exact subject.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I spent most of my life growing up volunteering at a state mental hospital (8-20 year old or so) as well as summer camps and the like. No formal education though so I know nuttink :D

9. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

I think you misunderstood me.

yes there are lot of things of varying degrees that fall under the umbrella of mental disorder/mental illness. but they are not all dealt with in the same manner.

just like a common cold and full blown hiv/aids are not dealt with in the same manner. now would you say that the common cold is not a physical illness due to its lack of severity as compared to hiv/aids?

that is why the DSM uses the multidimensional forms of axis 1-5 to help diagnose mental disorders.

10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

At this point in the discussion, if would be pretty awesome if it turned out that Sunshine had to ask his mom how much formal education he has on this topic. :D

11. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

you know damn well that your experience will be way different than mr microsofts. :D
    experience (working) is the best teacher.

I have my bachelor in social work (still am a member of NASW) and interned at a mental health instutition before working there for a year and a half.

I used to think people need to "harden" up till i got there and learned that mental illness/disorder cannot be put under an umbrella term.

12. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

So sayeth the Fathers of the American Revolution.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nice on the SW - my one year of college was headed that direction. But then I got into racing :D Mom ran the education department at the hospital and it was tied pretty directly with the social workers so I spent all of my teen years hanging out with special ed teachers and social workers and other assorted hippies :D

14. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

ya, they did make us drink that social work koolaid.

"you are born a social worker, schooling just polishes it" nope
    "social workers fight for the unjust" ok capt saveaho
    "be a social advocate" then pay me like a lawyer
    "this job isnt about the money" then its not a job.
    "at the end of the day, all people need is hope"....and a swift kick in the ass.

but, I was the only dude in a class full of women....worked out ok.

15. TSWebster

TSWebster Well-Known Member

Well, hell. If you're counting real world experience, I got 59 years living with 7 billion crazies.