1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ever heard of Aaron Swartz?

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Me neither till I saw that he passed away recently. But you've probably heard of Reddit or use RSS feeds (I get all my news via RSS. Love it!). Aaron was a mastermind behind this technology. What little bit I know about Reddit it's rather big with as much presence as Google. Aaron co-wrote RSS when he was 14. A great loss to internet technology. This guy impacted a lot of lives. RIP

http://www.wesh.com/news/money/tech...18108490/-/32c09dz/-/index.html?absolute=true

2. mfbRSV

mfbRSV Well-Known Member

Only 26. What a shame.

3. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA

My wife's son worked with him the last 3-4 years. The son is a CS Phd and was close to him. Sad day around here. I don't know much about the situation but I did hear something about high self expectations.

4. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

I read the Feds were charging him with downloading journal from MIT....was facing 30 years, trial date was nearing close.

Sad day for society, that's for sure.

5. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Facing federal charges, 35 years in prison and a Million Buck fine. The rope looked like a better deal to him. RIP

6. duggram

You need to read The Truth about Aaron Swartz’s “Crime”. The Feds were going to put him in prison for 35 years for downloading documents from MIT that were on an open network and free to anyone to download. The more I learn about this the weirder it gets.

7. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

"Passed away" is more eloquent than "hanged himself". Just sayin'.

8. SlyRy

SlyRy Registered user

He had been arrested a few times before, for similar things.

9. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

His ideology was an information sharing society.
    Godspeed :(

10. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

And does this deserves its own thread because?

11. caferace

caferace No.

Perhaps because dipsticks like you and your monolithic overlords need to understand that information wants to be free. You and your ilk claim free intellectualism is worth nothing.

You are dead wrong. Enjoy your Microsoftian cocoon. Just don't expect us to follow like lemmings.

[​IMG]

GTF over it. Or publish your Better-than-factory-spec 675R tuning secrets. :crackup:

-jim

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  12. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Mornin Jim :D

13. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

You're allowed to post here, that says enough I think.

14. duggram

It's in it's own thread. Where else would you put it? Actually, what "this" are you talking about?

15. bad67deuce

bad67deuce Well-Known Member

The linked article said that there was an 8 cent fee for each downloaded page, but does seem like the Feds were on a witch hunt. RIP

16. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

Odd that such a genius would be so weak minded.

17. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

After doing a little research on this I have to retract that statement. There is something deeper to this story than meets the eye.

18. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

19. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Um ok....me and my overlords... :crackup:

He was a looser...why do we talk about losers here?

BTW: Its not about information...thinking that it is about information is just a trap.

20. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

This is about someone who killed themselves in the prime of their lives. Those people don't deserve any attention at all. In fact they deserve to be erased from all aspects.