1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ever Had to Take A Forced Hiatus from Racing?

Discussion in 'General' started by got40, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Inquizid

Inquizid Member Well-Known

uh yes missed most of this season...don't ask :down:

2. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

as of Thursday, my salary (and hours) are officially cut in half. My race season is over. Next year is in serious jeopardy.

Currently debating whether or not I should fix my bike and try to get $3100 out of it, or just sell it in "slightly used" condition for less...

the prospect of laying out money for parts isn't sitting all that well with me :-/

3. hotnail

hotnail Well-Known Member

I think we all have these feelings as the season winds down. With all the risks/expenses/time away from family, etc. its easy to feel this way especially at the end of a season. I too have spent way more than I prefer this season with a trailer, blown tranny, extra races, etc. My total this year has been almost 10k!!! Now, I've paid for all of it with cash, but I can't help but to think if it was responsible to let go of that much cash in one season. I really prefer to keep my season under 5k. All the thoughts def make you sit back and consider/think about the whole thing.

4. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Nah, don't think the heart could take it but I will take you and the family to dinner if you tell me when and where.

5. ahastings

ahastings Well-Known Member

that is good advise, but if I didnt use credit I would have never raced.
    to the original question yes it is very possible to come back after time off. I "retired" twice in my racing career mainly due to finances. In 94 I highsided out of turn 10 at summit and had enough of being broke and busted. I took 9 years off and came back in 2003, havent stopped since.

6. Cajun Kid

Cajun Kid Well-Known Member

Yes you can

I raced 2 seasons 2005 and 2006, and ran out of money... Well CC's anyway took the better part of 2 years to pay them off. In 2008 I did a race, and have pretty much done one or two races a year since then. With the job I work I go between 8 and 9 months without even sitting on a motorcycle. A trackday or two and I can get within a half a second of my P.B laptimes. I think the key is staying in some type of riding shape when you are taking the time off.

The hard part is watching everyone else going racing and knowing that you could be out there doing it. If you had the "time, money, etc" for my its time now... But at least once or twice a year The Cajun Kid comes out and gives'em hell for a race or two ;)

7. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

come on Jason! You can hang out on the sidelines with me! I won't be released by the doc to go racing again by then but I'll be there hanging out and partying all weekend! come one down dude! we can always use some more Samoan love in the paddock!:rock::up:

8. ex419

ex419 Well-Known Member

I've been out since GNFs 2008.

I miss the good times. I've found getting restarted is very hard. I can't go back with just the bare essentials, and I don't have the time to do it right.

9. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

I understand. How old is that young one now, we don't have to go to Chucky Cheese do we? :D

10. DavieStone

DavieStone Well-Known Member

I blew up two motors at the Wera West round in Vegas last year and that was all she wrote. Come on big commission check!!!!

11. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

Davie, how is the resaturant doing?

12. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I've been on hiatus for 3 years now, except for one race weekend last september, to keep my license up to date(I still buy my WERA license every year tho). Last years 5-hor endurance nightmare really took the wind out of my sails for racing right now. It is partially financially driven(buying a house and doing an extensive remodel), as well as just being a bit tired of the whole thing. I don't think I'll ever "not race", but the frequency is going to be much less.
    My home track is BIR, and I'm pretty bored of it. I would rather make one trip to VIR, Barber, Miller, etc, and a round at Road America, than 5 events at the same old course.

13. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

I think we need to make a road trip next year!!

14. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Road America on the WERA schedule! FTW!!! :D

15. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I need to resurrect the R6!

16. Putter

Chad, Tony, you guys going to BIR for the endurance weekend?

17. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Looks like I'll be up there for Saturday only(would be fine with not going at all).

18. Putter

Stop whining and buy Kerri a drink at Poncho and Leftys. So you're not running a team this year?

19. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I'm gonna buy her 6 drinks at the flat track race!

Fuck no!

20. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

BIR can suck my nugget pouch!