1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EPA hating on the Ecodiesel powered Ram 1500 and Grand Cherokee

Discussion in 'General' started by dsmitty37, Jan 22, 2017.

1. dsmitty37

dsmitty37 Well-Known Member

2. Chango

Chango Something clever!

Well, since it's a sort-of-American company they might just get a "small" fine like Harley Davidson did when they got caught messing with emissions stuff a couple of years ago.

3. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Or better yet, those onerous regulations get a little rewrite.

5axis and Dragginass like this.
  4. I'm not ok with all this bs in general but am ok because it helps our business (we do fuel and urea systems).

5. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Yeah, I'm thinking the EPA is gonna get told to pull back a little. :)

Jeff McKinney likes this.
  6. Phl218

Phl218 .

what if someone has a "green diesel tune" :D ?

7. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

I thought that Harley got dinged for their performance aftermarket parts and not with their actual production product. That would be different to the Fiat engine diesel software cheat which is probably identical to the VW one.

8. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Well let's look at this a bit more rationally.

There's only a handful of cars that are below the gross vehicle weight limit that puts them in the stringent emissions class for diesels.

So we have VAG group, Chrysler, BMW and Mercedes that have diesels in US. Oh and GM.

So two out of 5 manufacturers have decided the only way to meet EPA regs is to cheat.
    Wanna bet that when Bmw and Merc get looked at closely they'll be discrepancies found as well?

Maybe, just maybe the limits are unattainable?

5axis likes this.
  9. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

To look at it more rationally, think more of cost and profit. Maybe it's just cheaper, and worth the risk, to cheat. It's not like it's unheard of that auto manufacturers will make dumb decisions to save $75.

10. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

From what I've read about the VW cheat was that it had less to do with actually meeting the numbers as it was to save the expense of the emissions controls parts which were failing way too soon. The cheat was done to save $600/vehicle.

11. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

12. bleacht

So dumb. Not related to emissions but I remember reading that Ford stuck with live-rear axles in the Mustang for so long because the bean counters wanted to save the extra $75 it would've cost to put in a limited-slip.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

14. A lot more than $75 a vehicle.

15. bleacht

I read that number in either Car and Driver or Motor Trend, can't remember which, but it was from an internal source. I've also read that number on various forums as well. I've heard it so much, I thought it was common knowledge. Why do you think it was higher and how much higher?

16. Rebel635

What does an IRS vs Solid axle have to do with LSD? Both differentials can have them. And to go from a solid axle to IRS is gonna be way more than $75.

17. Rebel635

18. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

I wonder if this will delay the release of the diesel f150 as they are also using one of their global engines.
    I know my wife will have a meltdown if Mercedes has to go through the tdi fiasco, she loves her glk.

19. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

$75 times hundreds of thousands of vehicles is a lot of money.

20. bleacht

Because that's what the article was about, the cost difference of putting each in was $75. That's what the uproar was about.