1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine (oil) help needed!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by Andy Bankston, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Andy Bankston

Andy Bankston DON'T YOU KNOW WHO I AM?

I apologize as this should probably be in tech, but I'm trying to get ready to leave for Talladega tomorrow and need help quick.

I went out to get the bike ready, turned the motor over a few times but it would not crank. Has not been cranked in a few months. I go to the shop, get new plugs, oil and filter. So when I drain the oil it looks kinda like chocolate milk coming out. Will the oil separate while sitting in the bike? It looks darker and more like oil once it's in the pan, but you can see it on the rim of the oil drain pan and when I tilt the pan the lighter color stuff is on the bottom. What's up with that? No other problems are noticed on the bike. What would I need to do before trying to crank it now?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

That, my friend, is an indication of water in the oil. If it's been sitting for a few weeks (months?) in an unheated garage a small amount of water will condense and go to the bottom of the sump. The only other normal source would be a slight leak of a gasket so that water from the cooling system leaks into the oil sump.
    If it's condensation it's usually evaporated by heat during riding. (oil temp usually reaches somewhere around 190 to 210 degrees and quickly evaporates it.)
    Was the oil level showing too full and is the water level in the cooling system too low? If not then it's just condensation. :up:
    Water always goes to the bottom because it's heavier than oil.

3. Slider82

Slider82 Well-Known Member

That looks like you have water in your oil. That the oil is floating on top makes it look even more like water.

Edit: Beat by Quickdraw McOrvis.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  4. Roach

Roach Yamaha Catapult Tester

Or, it froze and popped the freeze plugs, and when he cranked it there's now water in his oil :)

- Roach

5. Strick

Strick Good to be king

If it is stored in an unheated place you could have popped a freeze plug.

6. g.mccormick

g.mccormick Well-Known Member

Its water like the other guys said. What was stored in the cooling system? Hopefully you replaced the water with antifreeze before you put it away for the winter if you get freezing temps there.

7. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Go buy some cheap oil and do a couple changes.
    was the bike exsposed to freezing temps?
    also check the water level in the radiator.
    looks like more water than from condensation.

8. Andy Bankston

Oil level looked normal and the water in the radiator is a little low - maybe 1 inch below the small opening, but I haven't refilled it in quite a while either. Any other way to tell for sure if it's a freeze plug? If so, what's the fix? Thanks for the help.

9. BC

BC Well-Known Member

I gotta learn to type faster:rolleyes:

10. Andy Bankston

It's an 00 SV 650 too by the way :(

11. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

+1...we need something we can just talk into and it automatically types it!!

How cool would that be!! :up:

12. Roach

Roach Yamaha Catapult Tester

How do you think Papa posts?

It's not perfect yet though, you can generally type faster unless you're a hunt-and-peck guy.

- Roach