1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine Builder, What say you?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by wera_123, Nov 25, 2011.

1. wera_123

wera_123 Well-Known Member

What next? We have several 2011/12 ZX10R roadrace engines to build over the winter and wanting some feedback/suggestions on what is working in the US.

Yes we are only talking about the engine. We can to talk about the new link, swingarm and digressive valve/shim stack another day. PM me.

From 2010 to 2011 ZX10R intake valve increased 1mm , exhaust valve .5 smaller (increasing Valve Size Ratio) and increased duration & lift while keeping the same bore and stroke since 2004.

At this point in our testing, I am damn impressed with the power output of the 2011 ZX10R. True the ZX10R was never one that lacked power, but tuning the new engine took a different technique. We did close to a gu-zillion dyno pulls and this is what we found to work on our race bike.
    Sort out the electronics and leave the valve cover closed. Good increase in power from stock but minor changes required.

Tested a combination of the following:
    Cams, head gaskets, air funnels, filters, exhaust, overlap, timing, ECU’s (stock & kit)

Best Results (with the least amount of compromise)
    Kit ECU
    Stock Cams (slotted cam sprockets)
    BMC Filter
    Akra full exhaust
    Stock length air funnels
    Tighter squish
    Reducing friction

The Not So Good (fixed)
    Sharp edges on valve springs to retainer
    Transmission needs undercut and some serious shimming (Nova provided new ratio for 1&2 gear) Thanks you Joe Kawasaki for the new cassette style unit.
    Stock electronics
    Now that we have a good baseline we are trying to take this engine to the next stage and remain within the rules.Stock parts can be modified or removed, but not replaced with aftermarket products. Bore/Stroke must remain stock.

Need some feedback on the following potential modifications.
    Continue to reduce friction (ceramic bearings, coatings)?
    Remove counter balancer?
    Lighten crankshaft?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  2. ed who?

ed who? the opposite of eharmony.

pretty open ended man.

post up your dyno charts. What fuel you using? Cylinder head stock? rules allow you to pull the CB? Kawi trans have ALWAYS needed shimmed properly, thus why they offer so many available trans shims. Lets see your dyno chart and get some idea of what your looking for. more mid? peak? over rev?

3. wera_123

I will post some graphs this afternoon. Definately looking for some more mid range.
    The tech rules here in Germany are sort of funky and really, really different per organization.
    Varies Examples in OTHER classes:
    $15k in electronics but must retain key ignition, full blown superbike engine but must use catalytic exhaust and slip-on must have db-killer regardless of noise level, use after market calipers, gas cartridges, and all the titanium you want but no fork extension. You can use carbon & magnesium wheels but must use stock rotors. The examples go on so we just play with in them and try to maximize each aspect. When I first read the tech rule book I thought it was a misprint.
    We have to keep close to 6 different race tech books on hand for all the different rules. The engine rules are clear for next year with no major changes.

4. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

Everything has it's cost so what you get in the end is more or less a by-product of how much you can spend.
    Having said that, for more mid-range I would increase compression and advance the cam lobe centers.
    If they don't check your fuel, then cheat your ass off with say, nitro-propane.

5. wera_123

Finally!!!! The 1 base run is a European model (ecu) with slip-on.

Attached Files:

6. ed who?

ABS version? On the Euro bikes with ABS do you have issues on the dyno with wheel speed sensors?

please tell me they haven't mapped it yet?? that's an ugly a/f ratio..

7. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

I hear the Kawi Race cams give good improvements

8. mpp12

mpp12 Well-Known Member

Those engines make lots top end power !!!!

Those stock cams are same (more or less) yoshi for gsxr K7. Very agresive...

huge TB.... rode one with Gaul reflash, not much mid range but a top end very impresive.

In the internet you can get the Race manual.

9. wera_123

The lowest run was and European bike with ABS, and we have had a few issues, but most get the a kit ecu and usually a piggy-back unit.

AFR? That that is Ebay mint!!! HAHAHAHA:D

So far kit camshafts are not giving anything at the kit manual settings.

Thanks for the input.

10. ed who?

your running kit cams at what? 112/104? i never really liked how kawi suggests running the exhaust cam but everyone has their likings. can you post up dynos of the stock cams versus the kit ones (and what L/C?) im curious. We have a few in here we are building and man the Kit Kawi cams are SO cheap (under $300/pr! while GSXR ones are over $1,200!) would be interesting to compare what your getting. yeah the ABS is PIA with stock ecu..but they are in the trash soon enough for the kit ecu (again 1/2 cost of the yosh empro even thou exact same company makes..nice!) Good luck.

11. wera_123

We ran the stock at 112/104 and the kit at 113/108. Kit cams are crazy cheap and we had plenty of cam sprockets from the 04/05 (same as 2011 kit part number). We plan to try different length funnels with the kit cams next. I will post stock cam & kit cam ran at kit manual settings soon. We will also try to run some more overlap and a couple more runs.

Ed
    P.S. We pulled the former World Superbike ZXR750rr & ZX7rr out of the museum and building for a German magazine article and the new Golden Era series.

12. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Since your brought it up.
    Would you have any intake kit cam for the 04/05?

13. ed who?

now your just being a cock tease! Most these youngin's on here aren't capable of appreciating REAL SBK's like those! I love mine... to think Gobert once rode it just makes ya smile (kids, if you dont know what/who we are talking about check this! back when men were men, bikes were heavy, tc was the right hand and you didnt bitch about every single thing..just raced! :crackup:)

watch the set of bollocks the guys has on him!

http://youtu.be/eVZpoorKXOw

:bow:

Rafa you looking for STOCK or KIT intake cam? I have a customer with 04/05 engine he is parting out. but its a stock cam

14. etemplet

etemplet Well-Known Member

Had me cheering and cuttin up watching em' go. Yeeeehaaaa !! Dats RIDIN !!

15. wera_123

Are are from the German National team and a 1 from a wild card rider.

16. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Looking for the Kit.
    They use to be so cheap, now they are sooo hard to find.