1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

endurance help, please (AOD)

Discussion in 'WERA National Endurance Series' started by natedawgee, May 13, 2002.

1. natedawgee

natedawgee ARNCHU Racing

ARNCHU Racing will try their hand at endurance racing at VIR. Our team would like any information on how to lightly prep the (sprint)bike so that we don't spend 5 minutes in the pits for tire and fuel!
    Our limited budget of $do-it-yourself requires creativity. AOD? any tips on wheelchanging?
    We can spend some petty cash on bicycle-style levers for the front pinchbolts, etc.
    Thanks,
    ARNCHU Racing

Last edited: May 13, 2002
  2. Litespeed

Litespeed Rocket Scientist

I think a member of the NOTB team stated that they can make the entire event on a fresh set of tires. This would seem to simplify things considerably and cut costs.

3. rfknight

rfknight P-Star

You should be able to make it the entire 4-hour on a single front tire. Start on a brand new (unscrubbed set) and just take it easy for the first couple of laps.

You may need to change the rear but this can be done in about a minute using the stock setup (at least on a GSX-R) and a little practice.

If you do come in for a tire stop, have ALL the tools you might need ready and available.

Good Luck.

4. WERA29

WERA29 On a mental field trip...

It depends on the track and length of the race....

I agree that you could probably run the 4-hour on a fresh set of tires if your suspension is setup properly. As for the quick change bits, there really is no quick and dirty way. You need to have parts like the axle and spacers machined in order to do it properly and safely.

What's your motivation for the race? Extra track time? Fun? Or are you looking to be competitive? If you're going to run endurance on a regular basis and try to be competitive then ask some of the teams at the track what they do. Be forewarned, a lot of teams don't want you looking at their quick change stuff since they made it themselves so don't be offended if they chase you off. ;)

You're approaching it the right way asking for suggestions. If you want quick change wheel setups you're looking at time and money. How much you want to spend is up to you. Short of factory equipment there really are no over the counter quick change setups to buy.

Something that will save you time in the pits is fueling. An inexpensive alternative to the regular gas cans would be an Acerbis quick dump can. That's what we used before we graduated to the larger tank with dry brake dump can. We machined our own quick change bits and are still refining the bike even more. It's an ongoing process.

If you plan on running sprints, make sure to consult the rulebook before making mods to your bike for endurance as some of the mods may disqualify you from the Superstock classes. We're full on Superbike at this point and don't run sprints any more so anything (within the rules of course) is fair game.

Good luck and let us know if you have any more questions!

T o m Fetsko
    Sagrada Familia #47

5. WERA29

What's up there Mr. Team Owner?

Hey P-Star! Get back to work you hippie slacker! :p

Signed,

Kettle

6. rfknight

rfknight P-Star

I am at work!

Signed,
    Pot

7. WERA29

Well then reply to my damn e-mail that I sent you at o'dark thirty this morning! :mad:

Did you forget to pay your e-mail bill too? :p :D

8. neu69

neu69 ARNCHU Racing

If we can run the race on one set of tires or even just one front and two rears how far off of a full race pace is an endurace pace?

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

j

9. melissa

melissa Sir

Considering that last year, Tray Batey broke the Summit Point lap record during the endurance race, I'd say the pace is not far off sprint pace.

10. WERA29

Well Jeff, the endurance pace has really picked up this season. I know at Putnam the top teams were only 1-2 seconds off Mark Junge's lap record he set on Sunday.

Granted, these are the top teams with big budgets, quick change everything and plenty of tires to burn. Most teams will be 3-5 seconds off sprint pace depending on the length of stints they ride.

Richard and I ride 1 hour and 20 minute stints so we tend to be more like 4 seconds off sprint pace so we can maintain consistent lap times for that long without wearing ourselves out. We really need to ride faster than that to be more competitive. Right now we're 4th in points in MWSB and looking to improve that at the next round. :cool:

11. rfknight

rfknight P-Star

That depends on who you are. For people like Tray Batey and Jim Williams it's probably around 1-2 seconds.

For *** and I it depends (at least this year) on what track we're at. Normally we're 2-3 seconds slower per lap during a 1h20min stint than our fastest laps turned during a 20minute practice. Hopefully that will change once we get to tracks we know better and our physical endurance gets better.

12. WERA29

Hello......Hello......Hello.....Hello.....

Is there an echo in here? :confused: :D

13. rfknight

rfknight P-Star

Melissa:

Please forward the hotel & room number for you and Sam at Roebling. I need to make sure I phone in your wake up call.

14. rfknight

rfknight P-Star

Re: Hello......Hello......Hello.....Hello.....

Sorry. I've spent the last 5 minutes reading your email. Tolstoy would have been proud.

15. wpasicznyk

wpasicznyk Well-Known Member

quick dump nozzle

Lockhart Phillips sells a Quick Dump Fuel nozzle. I believe its in the high $200 range. Look into it. Works great, auto shut off etc... made of aluminum, i.e. anti-sparking:)

16. melissa

melissa Sir

We're staying in T0M's room.

17. WERA29

ROTFLMAO! :D

You better ask TIW since we'll be camping in the trailer. I get the right side of the air mattress. You guys can fight over what's left. :p

18. aod99

aod99 Administrator

Hi Nate,

What class and what bike?

Do you already have a tire brand or are you flexible?

If the Middleweight Superbike results are any indication, the Pirellis are fast but wear out quickly. The Michelins are slightly slower but give superior tire life.

On most bikes you should be able to get four hours at VIR out of a Michelin S2 front and M2 rear. The rear might get a little slippery at the end. Back off a little. Have a spare rim ready to go with a fresh tire in case the tire really goes off.

Practice your pits stops over and over and over again.

If you want to win the pace in endurance is fast. Our rider's are consistently turning laps, in constant traffic, that are within 2 seconds of their best laps possible. That means, on a clear track on tires that are an hour or three old, they can turn a lap within a second of their all out sprint best and only loose a little bit negotiating traffic. Running at the front means cutting mistake free fast laps with sweat in your eyes.

That means being very comfortable with worn tires, alternate lines and faded suspension.

Fueling a supersport bike is a chore. NOTB tried various solutions but ended up building their own dumpcan to satisfactorily get the job done. They won't share the design. The aforementioned acerbis works but it is slow.

If you have any specific questions I can try to address them for you.

19. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

WHOA.

F**king impressive is all I can say.
    To hell with Mike, I wanna be like AOD.

20. PKS Racing Services

PKS Racing Services Timing and Crewing

Re: Re: Hello......Hello......Hello.....Hello.....

You only got one?!?!:p I got three of them, all before 11 am. What's up with Chatty Kathy today?:D