1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Employer over reach, or good global citizen forcing a change?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by stk0308, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Easy fix, don't work there.

Fonda Dix likes this.
  2. brex

brex Well-Known Member

We don't do full meals, but we do stock the break room with snacks/treats. We were actually threatened with a lawsuit a while back with a lawsuit from an employee if we didn't add gluten free and vegan snacks to the stock. So one thing was added, and it is pretty much never touched - all because of the one employee that had to make it a spectacle, which is pretty much what all vegan/glutenites do.

3. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

If I’m the owner, then fine you don’t like the FREE snacks offered, we’ll do away with all FREE snacks.

So glad I work for a company where the owner is also the employee.

:)

kangasj and brex like this.
  4. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I bet the parking lot looks like this.

3priuses-work_medium.jpg

5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

This is the kind of bullshit that led to the rise of unions and eventually OSHA. What's next, wages paid in credit to the company store?

6. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

I have never met anyone else with celiac that demands to be catered to on that level. Don't know what kind of garbage you hang out with.

7. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Celiacs are typically reasonable, it's the people that think gluten free is the ultimate diet that are nutty and demanding.

8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

And we all know Keto is the ultimate diet :D

9. brex

brex Well-Known Member

That was my suggestion. Eliminate the free stuff with a specific note as to why. They went with a different suggestion. :(

10. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

I agree 100%. I don't eat meat but I couldn't care less what anyone else does.
    It never ceases to amaze me how much employees can complain about things that are already perks to begin with. I've never asked for anything special when we have company lunches and I can usually figure out something to eat. If I don't like it, I go buy something else. We had someone actually have the nerve to ask why the beer fridge was empty. FFS... it's a beer fridge at work that we are allowed to drink whenever we want... what is there to complain about? Fortunately the answer he got was, "go buy some beer and fill it yourself ". He is no longer employed there.

11. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

A big sign in the breakroom that says, “Sorry, no more free snacks because Tom in A/R didn’t like the selection. Please forward any and all complaints, rants, and general ire directly to Tom at 3rd Floor cubicle B3 or parking space 127”. :D

12. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

I don't see what the big deal is. Not sure how many workers get free food from their company.

The resume would get freshen up if worker weren't allowed to warm up their BBQed lamb chops for lunch tho....

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Only people I see having a viable bitch are those who have food reimbursement on the road or the like as part of their overall contract and therefore part of their pay.

14. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

That is how I took it. When I travel I get per diem. It varies by company what needs receipts and what doesn't. Most that I worked for said here is per diem spend what you want. There was actually one trip that I could only eat at the mess hall and cleared about $300 after buying a couple of t-shirts, of course the food sucked for a couple of months. If they had wanted receipts I would have considered leaving.

15. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

This.

I really don't have any issues with what they are doing. Providing food is a perk. Either eat the roots, bark and berries they provide or bring something different. It is the shouting their beliefs from the high moral ground that they believe they occupy and looking down on the lowly carnivores as unenlightened savages that they need to convert that annoys me. The attitude seems a little too much like missionaries going to 3rd world countries to preach their beliefs. That and the guy pictured in the article really has a "punch me" face...:D

16. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

I’m not sure... my wife is celiac and I’m pretty sure she wants to murder the hipsters who say they’re “gluten sensitive or gluten free by choice”!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  17. Montoya

“WeWork’s enforced vegetarianism could easily be dismissed as just another whimsical human resources directive from a high-flying technology start-up with an inflated sense of self-importance.”

I think the article pretty much summed it up.

“WeWork wants to be more than just an office company.”

...and verifies it!

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Well, it really did work for them, I'd never heard of them before.

19. Montoya

Agreed. Considering where they operate and their target demographics, it’s probally considered good media attention.

20. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

My sister laid that term on me at dinner last week. It's the new title for HR.