1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Employer over reach, or good global citizen forcing a change?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by stk0308, Jul 25, 2018.

1. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/20/business/wework-vegetarian.html

I'm not sure I like this trend. Yes, I support a company helping someone quit smoking. It's scientifically proven to be nothing but bad for you. But, a company starting to tell you what you can eat? A human is omnivorous. We're starting to stray into "mother company says" territory here.

2. sdg

sdg *

Screw the NYT. No way am I paying 8$ per month.

What are they gonna do, test creatine levels? Ridiculous.

3. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Chief Cultural Officer says it all.

shakazulu12, crashman and jksoft like this.
  4. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

I am actually a vegetarian and I had the same initial thought when I saw this. I don't really care what anyone else eats; my decision is personal.

At the same time, a company is free to spend or not spend their money on whatever they want. No one is saying people can't eat meat on their own dime. If the company was forced to pay for meat for its employees, that would be "mother government" instead.

5. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Hey boss...

Fuck you. I'm going out for a burger.

stk0308 and 600 dbl are like this.
  6. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Discrimination. Damn dietists.

stk0308 likes this.
  7. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

It’s funny that an exploitative anti labor “company” thinks it has a spot on any moral high ground.

crashman likes this.
  8. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

I didn’t see in the article where the company was prohibiting its employees from eating meat away from work, or even bringing
    meat based meals onto the company property. I read it as the company will not offer meat products, or reimburse for meat products eaten at company meetings/gatherings.

I don’t know of any law that requires an employer to feed its employees, so absent that, a company should be free to sell/offer/give away any type of food it chooses—or chooses to not offer.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  9. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Completely made up useless position that adds no value to a company and he kinda looks like a smarmy little cunt too...

sheepofblue, Kurlon and R Acree like this.
  10. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

My company doesn't purchase gluten free products at catered events and I don't go apoplectic about it...I just bring in my own grub.

The company isn't saying you have to be a vegetarian - it's saying it isn't going to provide meat during catered events or reimburse employees for meat on business trips.
    No where do they say you can't buy your own burger or bring meat from home.
    Companies aren't required to pay for your food, nor reimburse you for food you purchased while working for them.
    No reason to revolt.

However - the vegetarian/vegan moral high ground can kiss my carnivorous ass. Morals are a gray area - and most people pick and choose what they are going to get indignant about. It's okay to wander around with an iPhone and some Beats that an exploited 5 year old spends 16 hours/day in a pit digging precious metals for - but don't eat a pig, they have people eyes, you fucking monster.

11. Fonda Dix

If they want me to continue taking their ravenous, alcoholic clients to dinner they better pay.

Cant wait to tell that $700k per year client that he has to order he Quinoa instead of the Tomahawk Steak. :)

stk0308 and sheepofblue like this.
  12. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

They don't really have clients...they have tenants and in some cases, landlords.

13. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Damn :clap:

14. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Oh and as far as this deal...them's the rules people. It's a condition of employment so if you don't like it, get a new job. The company can absolutely limit what it is willing to pay for, but there is a tradeoff of creating a hostile work environment because this just crushes morale a little bit more.

15. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

I would find another job. I worked for EDS one group of psychopaths was one to many.

16. Fonda Dix

I wish my company would stop paying for alcohol. There is absolutely zero justification for it.

17. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Why do you also have a curfew on travel so no need to improve folks looks late on.

18. Fonda Dix

:)

No, all the expense of alcohol does is allow our staff alcoholics to remain so, makes our clients do embarrassing things (which makes them hide), increases risk of auto accidents, and costs a ton of money. Its just not an necessary item to do business.

Funny how they pay for alcohol but make you cover your own cell phone. Priorities.

19. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I thought I was pretty clear in my position.....

20. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Hostile work environment is harassment. Harassment surrounds protected classes. Can’t have a hostile work environment surrounding a non-protected class. Jus sayin.