1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Echo chainsaws

Discussion in 'General' started by Banditracer, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Evad101

Evad101 Well-Known Member

I'm running an Echo CS-410 w/20" bar for last few years. Its been a great little saw for me and taking down some decent sized tress on our property. (mostly maples, I hate leaves) Starts every time with no fuss. keep it running on E-Free gas and Stihl mix oil. Only thing i wish it had was an easy adjust chain bar that the Stihls have. Its not difficult to loosen the 2 nuts to do it but it slows ya down when a new chain stretches out.

I'd run another one but if I was going to buy it,(Got my Echo for free from in-laws Pawn Shop - brand new - as a gift) I'd probably buy a Stihl and go bigger. (24" bar or longer)

2. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

Junk! You might as well spend a little bit more and get a battery saw from a reputable company, like the ones mentioned before. Think about the future and what other battery powered tools you might get in the next few years. The main thing that makes battery tools expensive at first is the cost of the LiIo batteries. So save yourself some money by sticking to one company for most. You don't want to have to get a battery and a charger for every tool you get. Stihl, Husqvarna, Echo, and I'm sure others all have chainsaws, trimmers, blowers, hedge trimmers, mowers, and other stuff that all run on the same line of batteries which will save you money and headaches in the long run.

3. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

So, I got a response from my buddy on the Greenworks deal. He’s doing it on his own, in his shop. If one buys two pieces of Greenworks, he throws in their string trimmer for free. If anyone is interested, it’s Chris, at Macon Rental Company, Franklin, NC, (828) 524-8911. He does ship (he ships to me in IL), but, that can be costly and wipeout any savings of the free trimmer.

A pic from one of his customers, on their FB page.

1F0DF538-BD69-467E-997E-BA84E5A06A02.jpeg

4. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

My local Tractor Supply carries Greenworks, guess I'll look into them a little deeper.

5. Banditracer

What are you basing the junk claim on, personal experience ? Or just Harbor Freight hate ? Almost all the reviews were positive. That Lynxx brand also has all the other stuff you listed but I have no need for any of it anyway, the way the wind rips thru here I don't need a blower, have no hedges.

I have a Makita 18vcordless drill and thought about a Makita saw, they double the batteries for 36 volt but it's about 15 years old and the batteries aren't lasting too long anymore so that's not a inexpensive option if I have to buy a couple new batteries.

6. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

The good thing is, if you buy the Makita saw and two new batteries, those batteries work in over 200 pieces of Makita equipment.

sbk1198 likes this.
  7. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

The next saw I buy will be a little top handle makita 36v. I'm bought into the makita 18v system, and would love a battery saw (don't NEED one, but would like one). I'm going to pick up a makita string trimmer this year after hearing good things about them. 12" pruning blade in a 18v recip saw works great for a few quick cuts once in a while too. :)

8. It’s a principle thing using electric. It’s more convenient, a lot quicker and easier for what you want to do but it’s just down to principle. If you use one please keep a dirtbike or something running near it for smell.

SuddenBraking and Dragginass like this.
  9. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I'll use a loud 2 stroke generator to charge the batteries :)

malamute, Phl218, Ducti89 and 3 others like this.
  10. sbk1198

I actually love Harbor Freight, so certainly no hate for them, although you have to admit that some of the stuff they sell really is junk. There are things I would never buy from HB and there are some things that make no sense to buy anywhere else other than HB lol I can't say I have any personal experience with that Lynxx brand, but seeing that I work in this industry and I've never even heard of it, is a red flag to me lol I have seen and tried other chinese no-name brands though and they are all junk. You get what you pay for like with most things. Opinions and reviews are always relative so keep that in mind when you see great reviews on stuff like that. Most of them are from people who haven't ever used anything else but that Lynxx one they just bought 2 days ago and they used it for 10 minutes and loved it so they quickly went to the computer and gave it 5 stars. You'd probably think chinese scooters or Hyosung motorcycles are great too if you've never used anything else other than that. But when you've seen what the good brands have to offer like Kawasaki, Yamaha, Honda, etc. you realize those other ones are pretty shitty. Same thing with tools. Before I joined the outdoor power tools industry, I used to have a Toro electric corded blower. I used to think it was pretty good...until I saw what else is out there. Now I'm ashamed to even admit that I ever bought that POS :)

11. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Big old Stihl I borrowed from my dad is plain just badass. It slayed 23 water oaks ranging from 6” dia up to 18” recently with ease. It’s a beast with compression release and the whole 10 point procedure to actually crank it. It literally would slice a leg or arm off in a honest slip up.

#beast

12. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Do you know or can you get the model from your Dad, Roy?

13. Banditracer

Guess I should post an update. I ended up buying one of these and an extra battery off Amazon. Haven't used it alot, several battery recharge cycles worth. Happy with it so far for what I'm doing with it. Seems funny running it, all you hear is chain whir, wife mentioned it too.

https://litheli.com/products/litheli-40v-14-inches-cordless-chainsaw

ducnut likes this.
  14. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Battery stuff fits a lot of people’s needs, especially for the seldom-used category.

15. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Battery powered is the only way to go for easy trimming and clean up. Why would you deal with gas and oil and carburetors if you don’t need longer run time?

Relevant to the OP, I have a Husky 450 rancher and a good friend of mine just bought an Echo “professional” model. Same size bar, each are 50cc. He’s building a home so we’ve spent many weekends clearing trees on his property. He’s ready to throw his Echo in a dumpster at this point. Comparing the two saws is like comparing a CRF to @Metalhead ’s Dong.

SuddenBraking and Phl218 like this.
  16. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

I have a mans saw. Jonsered 2071 Turbo with a 24" bar.

casjoker likes this.
  17. Stan

Stan New Member

My Echo 346 wasn't running this season so I replaced the carb, figuring it was clogged. It started right up but the idle is screaming (probably >13000 rpm). I'm not sure what to do as the idle screw isn't even touching the cam. High idle or low idle screw? Not sure what to do. Any help is appreciated

18. bullockcm

bullockcm Well-Known Member

Check for an air leak first.

malamute, Dragginass and ducnut like this.
  19. Stan

Stan New Member

never thought of that - I'll have a look thx

20. sbk1198

Did you set the carb per the specs when you put it in? Is it still screaming that high after you squeeze the throttle and the choke goes back to run position?

malamute likes this.