1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EBC V-Rotors?

Discussion in 'General' started by thebrieldeal, Jul 10, 2018.

1. thebrieldeal

thebrieldeal Active Member

I am looking at buying some new rotors. I hope some of you have run them and can comment to their quality and if you have, where did you buy them at the best price? I am just as broke as the rest of you...

Apparently not everyone who sells ebc can sell the v-rotor? I do not know why but one of my local guys isn't the "right type of dealer"

2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Are you sure brakes are where you want to cheap out on replacements?

3. thebrieldeal

I'm not sure what you mean by that...

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Where is he cheaping out on the product? Sure looks like he's asking for the place with the least markup on a good product....

5. thebrieldeal

This^^^^^

6. fastfreddie

My bust. I saw $150-$250 and didn't think about the price being for each rotor.

7. thebrieldeal

I will give this review, when asking them about the details of the rotors between model years, they were more than helpful in my quest for fit up. They can and did give me outer diameter of rotor, inner diameter of carrier hole, rotor thickness, bolt hole pattern and diameters and finally the offset from carrier mount.

Because they did this I now know I can easily move to the 13 and up rotors (on my 05 636) by shimming my calipers a few millimeters for increased diameter and no issues with the offset from the wheel. Thickness is minimally changed but not an issue.

What I don't know is if anyone here has experience with them for longevity and bite due to the material used as well as where to source them for the best price.

8. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

Give Jason Farrell, of Farrell performance in Oshkosh Wisconsin a call. He may not only sell em, he would know about em, and may have used em. And he's wicked fast.

9. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

I simply can't justify the costs of some of these things. I was looking at Galfers for >$400 each. That's highway robbery. I need new rotors and about $300 for a set seems palatable - although I put ceramic pads + drilled and slotted rotors on my car for not a lot more.

10. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

How much are the OEM rotors for your application? For me, the Galfers were cheaper, and offer better performance.

11. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

~$300 each, but that's still not justifiable in my mind for a singe stainless steel hoop. Oh well - I guess we accept it because what's the alternative?

12. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

I had EBC XC Contours rotors on my SV. Worked fine for 2-3 seasons. Then started shaking like mad during hard braking from long straights. Put OEM rotors back on and the shaking stopped. Straight edged the rotors and they don't look warped, but they could be cupping when heated. Though the buttons were dirty, but those square drive ones apparently cant be taken apart for inspection/cleaning.

13. fastfreddie

I've had that issue twice, b0th sets were OEM. Spent good money (~the same as OEM) on aftermarket (Behringer, BrakeTech) and never looked back.
    My '02 Vesrah 750 came with Vesrah rotors. No issues with them, either, and they keep the bike SS legal.

14. wrx_02

wrx_02 Well-Known Member

I've always had luck buying used oem ones I guess. I have found the racers that part out bikes seem to be the reliable ones as they actually check they are with in spec.
    Ive been to a motorcycle junk yard, and would suggest to stay away. I have also run some high end Braking rotors. Just didn't notice any difference for the extra $350.

15. thebrieldeal

Don't get me wrong. I know the factory rotors are quite capable. But I am one of those guys who likes to make sure my bike looks as good as it can while going around as well as it can. For me anyways, the better part of spectating is seeing all the bikes put together like they were meant to be there.

I know that there have been some fast as fook guys on garbage... I have been around a long time and seen zip ties and bubblegum bandages making a mockery out of some well funded guys. But lets face it, I wont be winning any championships in my 40s and I am not chasing a pro team deal. I just want to have really clean, really pretty bikes that work well and look good for people who may or may not want to assist me in the future having fun.

Part of my want for the V rotors is to get the green carriers. I am sort of cloning the old attack Kawasaki ZX10 race bikes that had scallops in green but were mostly blue. A set of green rotors on blue wheels would really fit and I have to buy extra rotors for my wheels anyways, why pay a ton of money for the black standards that come if I can make them stand out just a tiny bit? A loooong time ago when I was doing this originally, my attention to detail landed me right proper opportunities and eased my budget. I just hoped I could find anyone else running them and if they were who they could buy them from for a reasonable price.

And well, I have some vanity issues to deal with. I can at least admit it.

16. fastfreddie

Your best bet for colored carriers is to buy the rotors you want, then have the carriers powder-coated. I guarantee anodizing will start to fade before you need new pads.

17. thebrieldeal

I've built custom bikes for nearly 25 years and have had plenty of parts anodized and never had them go bad. I would seriously hope that ebc wouldn't send out a high dollar rotor with an improperly sealed annodizing. It's not rocket science. If they faded that quickly, I'd work out the logistics of them either replacing them or allowing me to redo the color and them refitting the carriers.

I already asked them if they were serviceable in the field the answer was no. Which means it's peened lugs.

When I did brakes before I called a guy in the uk who makes e-clip style buttons and bought them in dozens to take brake rotors apart and mess with the carriers.

18. fastfreddie

Reviews that mentioned it said the anodizing faded pretty quick.