1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Early model Speed Triple

Discussion in 'General' started by Alex_V, Jul 23, 2020.

1. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

May be doing a trade for a high mileage (55K) 1999 Speed Triple. Anything to look out for? My last Triumph Tiger 800 was right at 50K and ran top without any major issues.

2. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

A 99 would be a second generation speed triple. That should have the 955 motor (97 and 98 had the T509 mill). If it has ever been down on its side while running the top end takes a beating - poor oiling design. They are generally solid motors if they aren't abused. I still miss my 98. You don't see a lot of them out in the wild anymore.

3. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

I would look a little newer honestly. I think thats the 885cc motor. Look for rotted stepper motor hoses that are formed and deteriorated. Look for rear hubs that are dry as a lot of folks didnt grease them. Look for any rough idles can be a number of things. I think (if I remember correctly) that gen had Sagem fuel injection. In other words, junk. they were super fun when new, wheelied great, and I love the bug eyes look. But like anything with age, shit breaks, gets rigged, and some stuff just is not available anymore.

I have a damn near mint 2002 955I Speed 3 on the floor. if your looking for clean old speed triples.

4. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

It looks like a very clean bike. And the guy wants to trade a few rifles that I have taking up space in the safe. So price is right.

Robby-Bobby likes this.
  5. Robby-Bobby

hell yea! depending on the rifle value you should be fine. What color is it? Please dont say green or pink!

6. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

What if it’s green AND pink??:D

7. Robby-Bobby

I am talking legit color combos here.
    Belieive it or not, Roulette Green was the #1 selling SP3 on our floor back in the day. However, I always wanter Nuclear red which was technically neon pink.

8. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

I always knew there was something wrong with you :D

Robby-Bobby likes this.
  9. stk0308

Add to this, if you do take it in. Give the ground wire to engine interface a good cleaning. I believe it is a stud on the top of the transmission. Sometimes those get corroded and cause all kinds of weird running issues.

The Sagem was an alright FI, for it's day. Not very tune-able, by todays standards.

10. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Yep, all the ones I’ve ever seen were always the green. Did see a chick one time withe the pink one. She was hawt!!:D

11. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

'99 was the last year of the 885cc engine, generally solid engines mechanically. As Bobby stated, every one I've ever had in for service came in for idling/rideability issues and the problem was ALWAYS the stepper motor corrugated hoses that dry rot and fall apart. I believe those are sitll available from Triumph; get them. Makes the bike much nicer to ride.

Some other common problems:
    1. Plastic fuel tanks tend to swell leading to fuel leaks from RH side where the fuel pump flange mounts to the tank. Once this starts leaking, you're kinda screwed until you get the tank to shrink back down and get it coated.

2. Anything rubber dry rots and should be replaced

3. No one ever greases the rear hub - same as Ducatis in that regard.

They're far from the best Speed Triple variant, but they're still plenty cool in their own right. You should be sure of the value of your rifle, because speed triples are cheap. So if for some reason you really wanted a Speed Triple specifically, a 955i or even early 1050 could be had for very cheap.

Enjoy the wheelies!

12. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Here is a pic. I thought it was a 955i, but I am not an expert. I would value my rifles at 1,500-2,000 so its probably a fair trade.

[​IMG]

cha0s#242, Sabre699 and britx303 like this.
  13. Robby-Bobby

nice it has the TOR high level pipe. Whats the last 6 of the VIN? Ill run it for you. Too bad it doesnt have the flyscreen or bellypan kit. They looked awesome with that. That looks like a pretty clean ride. Another tell tale is that the right side of the frame turns yellow when the fuel fittings break off if the updates are done. They went to metal fittings.

stk0308 likes this.
  14. Robby-Bobby

Not that you care, but I would sell that bike on my floor for like $2500-$2995. I wouldn't pay more than $1500 for it then service it up nice.

15. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

Is that a flat spot on the rear wheel? At the 10 o'clock position? Can't tell if it is just the paint scraped off or what.

Good looking bike. I still miss mine (I know I already said that).

16. stk0308

Oh god, the plastic fittings, I almost forgot. Wish Triumph would have popped for replacing all the plastic fittings, not just one side. Not having the shutoff valve in the replacement metal pieces was also a bit cheap.

17. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

Actually, back in the day we all referred to "Nuclear Red" as "DPP.......Dog Pecker Pink..:crackup:. Another common mod is upgrading the main and ground cable sizes. The OEM's are too small and starter motor and, especially the sprag clutch take a beating and fail often.

Alex_V and stk0308 like this.
  18. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel