1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dust seal?

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by primo, Mar 11, 2012.

1. primo

primo Well-Known Member

For SS class, do I need dust seals on the forks?

2. Handicapped Racer

Handicapped Racer Well-Known Member

why would you not want to run them?

3. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Less stiction.......a good percentage of AMA team remove them since they rebuild the forks frequently enough that doesn't serve much purpose. They don't seal oil in anyway, they just larger particle out.

Attached Files:

4. primo

primo Well-Known Member

^ 100% correct.

5. primo

primo Well-Known Member

My Ohlins tech took them off and I trust him 110% ;)

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You won't be DQ'd for it - but unless you're batting Josh Hayes for a win they aren't affecting anything to do with your laptimes...

7. primo

primo Well-Known Member

I wasn't thinking of lap times, I was thinking about taking care of my parts by changing the fluids often. Just wanted to make sure it was allowed.

8. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

You or your tech might already be doing this, but before reassembly on forks that are chrome plated on the lower tubes (as opposed to DLC or TiNi coated), I give the chrome a polishing with a mild compound like Autosol (jewelers rouge also works), the smoother and slicker the surface again the more stiction you can reduce.....plus its a good practice I've found to help locate and knock down problematic high spots (not with polish obviously) that might result from a rock/debris ding. That's the kinda crap that WILL tear up your oil seals.

9. Handicapped Racer

Sorry I don't see the need for any novice to do this, in the long run it be more problematic than anything else. I seriously doubt you'd be performing multiple rebuilds during the season, moreso at the track. I know what the purpose of a fork seal is for, have known for quiet some time. I also know that barring a bent fork fork, or something, alot more noticeable. No one is running to the suspension truck "if one is there" or tearing their bike apart multiple times at an event.

I personally find it funny, when I read some of the stuff that people try do in an effort to get faster or look cool. "I realize he didn't do this on his own"

People can't read a rule book, put number where their not supposed to go, and use the excuse, "Oh I can't see when I'm tucking. I don't have enough space to put my number. They can't follow the simple stuff but go through leaps and bounds to achieve that last 1 percent which is reserved for people like top tier ama or Wsb riders.

Then reference a bike that has more money in the front end than most novice bikes cost.

I didn't wire the front end cause I'm going to change tires.

it's just funny, to watch this stuff take place by "New racers" sorry you're not fast enough to worry about stiction.

go out on course, learn your way around course, learn how to properly race a motorcycle, get a clue.

Sorry to come off like and ass but just being honest.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  10. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

^Maybe he lost them when he did his once a year rebuild and doesn't want to pay the $20-30 per seal to replace them.

He doesn't need them to be legal but maybe he'll get them when he has his forks apart again (when they need them) and replace them then.

11. ryanbabin526

ryanbabin526 Well-Known Member

Damn, Handicapped. Quite a rant over a guy just asking if he could do it or not. He didn't ask if we thought it was a good idea. As far as others should be concerned anyone can do whatever the hell they want to their bikes as long as it follows the rules. Like some guy said, 20 -30 bucks per seal, per service, is a pretty good reason to not have them if you do it often.

12. ryanbabin526

ryanbabin526 Well-Known Member

Damn, Handicapped. Quite a rant over a guy just asking if he could do it or not. He didn't ask if we thought it was a good idea. As far as others should be concerned anyone can do whatever the hell they want to their bikes as long as it follows the rules. Like some guy said, 20 -30 bucks per seal, per service, is a pretty good reason to not have them if you do it often.

13. Handicapped Racer

Sorry my friend, but as a novice there isn't that much fork servicing in the world.
    It just isn't.

Sorry you took the truth as a rant, actually I'm not sorry, it is what it is!

It's kinda on par with people giving bad advice over in the tech section.
    As far as "doing what ever the hell they want" I could care less but don't go crying to the race director and or Mongo cause, someone wouldn't pass you in tech casue your bike was a hot mess, but........YES I look like a Am pro race. WHOO HOO.
    If you can't afford 20-30 bucks, you really should not be trying to race a motorcycle. Even if it's an every weekend refresh, that about 210.00, most people drop that in gas and hotel on any giving weekend.

14. Handicapped Racer

Sorry my friend, but as a novice there isn't that much fork servicing in the world.
    It just isn't.

Sorry you took the truth as a rant, actually I'm not sorry, it is what it is!

It's kinda on par with people giving bad advice over in the tech section. You have guys over there who Actually have a clue, trying to help and then you have the clueless trying to help.

As far as "doing what ever the hell they want" I could care less but don't go crying to the race director and or Mongo cause, someone wouldn't pass you in tech casue your bike was a hot mess, but........YES I look like a Am pro race. WHOO HOO.

If you can't afford 20-30 bucks, you really should not be trying to race a motorcycle. Even if it's an every weekend refresh, that about 210.00, most people drop that in gas and hotel on any giving weekend.

15. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

It may be letting more brake dust into the forks as well, which is corrosive. If you have a choice i'd run them.

16. Handicapped Racer

Thank you!

17. primo

primo Well-Known Member

Damn Handicapped, WTF have I done to you bro? I'm not trying to be an AMA guy, I just asked a question bro. I even fucking liked you dude! 3 years ago I always wanted a good suspension and after hard work and long hours at work, I finally have one. A friend hooked me up with a very good tech that gave me not only good service, but an awesome deal. He explained that if my bike is only used for race/track, seals are not needed, but always make sure to clean your tubes after every race due to brake dust etc. Also, due to my novice status, I should service my suspension every 6 to 8 race weekends. After the job was done and I installed my tubes and shock, it hit me that maybe I needed the seals for SS class and that's when I came here and asked.

Here, I posted a pic of my AMA bike shop bro, just for you. My fucking computer room! :mad:

Attached Files:

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Chill guys.

T - try wording it better next time. This is the newbie section not the stupid bullshit section.

19. Handicapped Racer

will do! I sent primo a Pm explaining my stance.