1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dunlop raised their prices.

Discussion in 'General' started by obcbr, Apr 24, 2017.

1. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

Could be worse...could be made in France like the Michelins. No wonder they wear out and run off after a few laps! :D

Actually I'm pretty sure they're made in Spain, but the joke wouldn't have been as funny then! lol

bored&stroked likes this.
  2. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

I was pondering the price increase too. I asked about contingency which they don't offer. The guy I was going to get some from told me when I was trying to decide which brand to go with said "their cheap prices is their contingency plan"
    Not sure that really applies anymore..

3. I was going to ask if they paid contingency. I thought the whole reason for dropping contingency was so they could lower their prices 10% and help all the racers, rather than just the few who earn contingency.

Cam Morehead and 418 like this.
  4. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Anyone do a search for a part 2? :D

5. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

He rolled it the wrong direction

6. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Yep, that was the story I heard. Bridgestone still has pretty good contingency....talk with Stickboy.

stickboy274 likes this.
  7. busa99

busa99 Well-Known Member

Yea, if your gonna do it, do it right. Lol

8. I will as soon as Stick starts carrying Pirellis. :D

9. Boman Forklift

Ha, the question was contingency.....them Pirelli boys don't pay it either....so like I said if that is your goal, buy Bridgestone's from Stickboy. Before Tyler ran AMA, he ran Bridgestones on the SV650 and RS125, and won enough that I didn't buy tires for quite awhile. Plus, we had around 2k-3k in certificates left when he went up to a 600.

stickboy274 likes this.
  10. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

That's working out so well for Bridgestone in my regions that, at this point, I don't even know who the Bridgestone rep is and I pay really, really close attention to that stuff. They have, literally, zero grid share at the rounds I service. It's sort of like Royal Enfield posting up a billion dollar contingency for a MotoAmerica SBK win. Reads nice in the press release, but reality is a bit different.

When Brandon Paasch was racing his Mori, he used Bridgestones because he was, rather easily, winning everything and mostly racing himself and the clock. We put Pirellis on the bike and he went faster, but he didn't need to go that fast to win. So he ran the Stones and raced on free tires.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  11. Boman Forklift

I understand what you are saying and at this point the Pirellis could be quicker? In 2011, Tyler set the class track record at Willow Springs on a 80HP SBK SV with a 1:27.19. I remember the Willow record, because I use to race there and my best was a 1:35...on a 89 FZR600 running K591's...LOL. Tyler was on 250GP Bridgestone Slicks. He also set records in a couple different classes at Willow, Cal Speedway and Vegas too, all on Bridegstones on the SV. So the tires, at least at that time, were good.

A couple of weeks ago at Fontana the winning time in F2 class was a 1:42, he ran 35's, so you are correct if there is no competition you can win on substandard tires. If he could still run as fast as he used to, he could have probably even used Steven Isenhower's preferred method of no warmers and season old tires and still won last months Fontana race, but not back then.

metricdevilmoto likes this.
  12. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

That's not a Bridgestone product problem. Just to put it out there, the vendor up there isn't good.

When I talk to people from up there, I give them the proper info, and they do better right away.

We sell a bunch of tires, and we win a ton of races here in the South east. At the regionals and at the GNF.

At RRR my SV guys were doing 1:16's and 1:17's. The record is a 1:10, and it's a fast track with a lot of straightaway.

vosnick52 and SmokeSignalRT like this.
  13. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

I'm with Stick, I don't care how good the product is if the vendor sucks it wont sell as well.

14. I tried BT's back when the R10's first came out at a track up north and chased my tail all weekend because of bullshit information given to me by the vendor.

In other words, what Stick says is spot on.

15. Woodsrider

Woodsrider Well-Known Member

What Broome says is spot on...
    :)

Gorilla George likes this.
  16. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

What this guy said about Broome is spot on

MELK-MAN and Gorilla George like this.
  17. The last two posts are spot on.

notbostrom likes this.
  18. _indy

_indy Well-Known Member

So did I miss the price cut when oil went back down.
    Remember prices going up when oil went from $40 to 120 a barrel, gas was 4 to $5 a gallon that made sense.
    Now $50 a barrel, 2.30 a gallon prices didn't go down. I know it was just me, I missed it.

19. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

As much as I'd be inclined to jump on a good old fashioned Dunlop bash, it doesn't quite work like that.

Check your VP prices against the cost of dinosaur juice. Can't be mad at them either. When diesel was damn near $6/gallon, VP cost what it cost. So did race rubber. Over the last 5 years, there hasn't been a substantial (any?) jump, even though we're delivering a better product.

418 likes this.
  20. If only oil would get back up to $120/bbl. Hell at this point I'd be happy with $65-70/bbl.