1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dungeon demographics: the God poll

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by HPPT, Apr 14, 2008.

?

Which answer best reflects your beliefs?

1. I know there is a God.

88 vote(s)
    37.8%
  2. I think there is a God, but I could be wrong.

22 vote(s)
    9.4%
  3. I really have no idea.

33 vote(s)
    14.2%
  4. I think there is no God, but I could be wrong.

51 vote(s)
    21.9%
  5. I know there is no God.

39 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. charles

charles The Transporter

Fer sure, HPPT, don't you know we are all under sniper fire?
    For God's sake man, get with it...
    Just last night I had to run to my car from the food store
    as rounds struck down dozens of elderly late-night coupon
    clippers. My casualties included three brown eggs and one
    package of instant vanilla pudding.

2. paistes5

paistes5 Well-Known Member

Charles, I have no idea on this one either way, but the poll is very interesting. That would be an interesting research subject for somebody so inclined.

3. charles

charles The Transporter

Yes, it would. But there is evidence that people are not consistent in giving answers to value-laden questions, or hypotheticals that continually change...answers vary as circumstances change...as an example, certain types of tests given to applicants for 'high pressure' jobs measure the consistency of answers over a lengthy period of test time, to see if the applicant changes the answer to the same question re-phrased or restated. If attitudes and opinions didn't change as circumstances change, then we'd have no problem in assessment.

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Generic.

5. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Perhaps I could have chosen a better term than backlash. Many of the objections I hear about religion in general and Christianity in particular relates to the hypocrisy of many practitioners. Well meaning or not, the hard core, in your face approach has pushed a lot of people away from the teachings of scripture, which should be the basis for Christian Churches.

We (in my case Christians) have missed the boat. Instead of leading by example and demonstrating the positive difference faith can have on someones life, we have been to quick to point out others flaws. We have not learned to "lake the log out of our own eyes before worrying about the speck in out neighbors.

I will endeavor to do better.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I know a lot of people who strive lead a good Christian style life (more along what Jesus really taught than what organized religion teaches) but don't call themselves Christians. I know others who do the same thing and call themselves Christian. I don't see a difference between these people at all. They're all good people doing the best they can to be good decent people.

The problem I have is I know a hell of a lot more people who profess to be Christian and make sure everyone knows they're Christian and do pretty much everything Jesus preached as being bad. The hard core religious nuts haven't hurt Christianity - the everyday hypocrites have done much much more damage. It's just harder to point at them and show what they've done.

7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Good points. Calling yourself something doesn't necessarily make it so. Comments I've seen in the dungeon these last few years seem to be directed more at the hard core right than the garden variety hypocrites.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Very true, but I still think that's because in part everyone professed Christian or not can agree the nut cases are nut cases and like I said, the more insidious issue if hypocrites in your daily life just doesn't stand out. It does however leave a very bad impression when you see it day in and day out.

9. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

"...sitting in church doesn't make you a christian any more than sitting in your garage makes you a Toyota.."
    --anon

And, Charles, I'll get back to you tomorrow. Interesting discussion butt I'm up to my ass in crawdads right now.

10. charles

charles The Transporter

God willing, I'll be around.:D

11. charles

charles The Transporter

Backlash was okay...well, here's a problem (or unexplained situation) as I see it: various religions (or churches, take your pick) have developed vastly different ways to deal with inconsistencies, hypocrisy, and 'sins' of their respective followers (or congregations). Some would advise that, hey, it's okay, we're human! Others will levy 'punishments.' Others yet don't seem to be concerned about human foibles. What are these differing approaches based on if not the scripture you mention? Church in-house rules? Interpretations of scripture? The minister's (priest, rabbi, imam, take your pick) own rules? Certainly various interpretations of scripture and doctrinaire differences continue to keep Christianity (Christians) split up and somewhat neurotic about this situation. Not to go on and on about this, allow me to finish here with a question: when we discuss scripture, are we referring to the entire Bible, if so which version? Or, did you mean in particular only the parts that deal specifically with Jesus? Any honorable mention of the meaning or significance of the Dead Sea Scrolls or the Essenes or the secret instructions of Moses? (Don't leave out the Jews, after all, Jesus was a good Jewish boy).

What, then, my good man, do people turn to, specifically and exclusively, to be 'practicing-in-real-life' Christians?

'Rasta Charles

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  12. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

I'm really surprised also. I'm only one of the five on #2. Hey! I'm now a minority member of society. :D

13. Motomark32

Motomark32 skinny tires

I certainly don't have the answers to any of the above questions (and in fact think that the only honest answer to this poll is #3, "I really have no idea").

I did want to say that this is hands-down the most civil discussion of this sort that I have ever come across. Well done, gentlemen.

14. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

I've kind of noticed that our religious right in this country is trying (just not as violently) to do the same thing that the overzealous Muslims are trying to do. (Run the country by religious decree.) Separation of church and state. Right.:rolleyes:

15. charles

charles The Transporter

Orvis answer my post #71.
    Only you can do this with aplomb.

I didn't know you were a 'minority.'
    Would you like to join the 'Rasta
    Brotherhood, mon?

16. R Acree

R Acree Banned

A difficult question Rasta Man. I cannot speak for others, only myself. The very term Christian refers to a follower of Christ and would thus have most of its basis in texts specifically referencing Him. But those scriptures are foretold in the Jewish text or Old Testament. So they are interrelated and cannot be totally separated.

There are other texts recognized by other branches of the Christian Church. I wasn't there to make the determination on what was included and am not enough of a scholar to say why they were excluded. I have begun to read some of the excluded texts so that I can speak more knowledgeably, but that is slow going and I'm just beginning.

In addition to the differing texts, there are dozens of translations. Which one is absolutely the best? I can't say. Short of becoming fluent in Aramaic, Greek and Latin (not likely in this world) I have to rely on people I trust for guidance. I still read multiple translations to help clarify and ask when I can't figure it out.

As far as your question "What, then, my good man, do people turn to, specifically and exclusively, to be 'practicing-in-real-life' Christians?", I turn to Christ in prayer and ask for wisdom and understanding.

17. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Ahhh. Kindred spirits are we. I also bolted from the First Baptist Church when I was 14 when the Church deacons demanded that my Aunt apologize for her brief fling with the agr. teacher from our school. I was just short of getting my ass beat by my Dad (he was a deacon) when I told him that what my Aunt did wasn't any business of the Church and if they made her apologize then I would never set foot in the Church again. She did and I didn't. Piss on them and, the horse they rode in on.

18. charles

charles The Transporter

Before you lean too heavily in the direction of 'nonviolent'
    as it pertains to the 'religious right' in this country, you
    might want to do some research into various 'human rights'
    organizations in Central and Latin America which claim
    direct links, financially and politically, between several
    big 'religious right' organizations and death squads.

Religion is not against violence, it only says it is.

19. charles

charles The Transporter

Very good. Honest. So for you, then, by and large your spiritual beliefs and practices are self-established as best you can?

20. charles

charles The Transporter

Very excellent, Orvis dude...
    so...a lack of church compassion, then, turned you?
    your defense of your Aunt set you free?
    diminishing fear of your father?
    Give me the ultimate roots of your discontent and rebellion.
    Don't lie, I'll know if you do.

"I'm having an old friend for dinner"