1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dune thread

Discussion in 'General' started by cha0s#242, Oct 24, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

This is definitely not my genre of movies (or books); I have never sat thru more than a few minutes of the original. That said, I watched the new one on HBOMAX a couple nights ago and agree with Cortez on the impressive CGI work and enjoyed it overall.

2. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Watched it on HBO with the missus, we both enjoyed it, reckon it would be pretty spectacular in a cinema.

3. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

I watched it Saturday night and loved it. The wife, who hates most of this genre, loved it as well. The stream was surprisingly good with my subs and overhead speakers getting a healthy workout.

It’s not a Michael Bay movie so Broome might be disappointed but the pacing was on point and I was thoroughly entertained.

4. Raceless man

Raceless man Well-Known Member

I really like the music too when Mr. Hulud came out.

5. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

The last 100 pages of Sandworms of Dune was 100% phoned in. The rest of the last 2 books basically threw out a bunch of canon from the originals, so it's rough too, but barely tolerable. So once you hit Frank's last book, Chapterhouse, call it done. Just pretend the other books don't exist. You can read the other books about the houses and jihad and all that, but I wouldn't waste my time. The two I read didn't really add much to the rest of the world. Scan through the Dune wiki site for plot summary and character explanation and you're good.

CBRRRRR999 likes this.
  6. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I wonder what are the best seats in an IMAX theater. I like to have pretty much my full scope of view filled with images and don't mind turning my head a little to see the corners. Sound quality is of the utmost importance to me also. I'm guessing near the middle of the theater ? Too far back and you kind of lose the purpose of having such a big screen.

7. pawpawrc

pawpawrc Well-Known Member

If you liked the books, you’ll like this treatment. I went in with low expectations as a book fan and came out impressed- the ornithopters are awesome.

CBRRRRR999 and bleacht like this.
  8. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Agreed. Chapterhouse has a few threads that could have evolved well but I never went past it since it wasn't a Frank book. I think God Emperor didn't need to be written. He could have stopped with Children of Dune.

RichDesmond likes this.
  9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Cool, thanks for the info :D

10. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

While I certainly wouldn’t argue that Brian and Kevin were great writers, I thought their jihad and house books did fill in some of the background of Frank’s writings. No where near the caliper of complex writing and world building though and you probably can get all the understanding from wiki. I tried reading a few of their latter books, where they started apparently going away from Frank’s note stash.. and just couldn’t finish them.

CBRRRRR999 likes this.
  11. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Which books after Heretics are worth a read?

12. Raceless man

Raceless man Well-Known Member

13. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Watched it last night. I like it quite a bit. Had me wishing it would keep on going instead of just being part 1.

14. CBRRRRR999

CBRRRRR999 Well-Known Member

Hopefully gets some traction. Infinitely better written than the Star Trek/Wars series. The previous incarnations were passable but really hokey.
    Now if we could only get Asimov's Foundation series and all it's ancillary storylines given a big budget treatment.

cha0s#242 likes this.
  15. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Saw it on an imax screen and really enjoyed it. The dialogue was a bit hard for me to catch at times, but overall, I thought it was very well done. The visuals are incredible. I used to own a 3D animation studio, so I have a bit of appreciation for the work that goes into making good visuals. This movie was astounding. Its difficult to comprehend that people can create this type of imagery. Only let down for me was that Paul's visions gave away the storyline well in advance. Also, too much violence. I'm tired of American cinema violence.

16. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

Book Paul sees lots. And the violence is only ramps up in the future. That's what makes his visions so important. The whole saga is ultra violence.

motion and CBRRRRR999 like this.
  17. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Generally right in the middle of the theater....white area

https://techmoran.com/2017/02/27/best-seat-imax-theatre-watch-movie/

[​IMG]

cha0s#242 likes this.
  18. hank748

hank748 Well-Known Member

I'm also contemplating going to IMAX, but no one else in the family is interested and yeah, the bladder might not cooperate either.

For home viewing, one can't beat getting a set of Sennheiser wireless headphones...

19. Cb750r

Cb750r Member

Wife and I watched it on the weekend. I read all the books and the main ones twice, my wife had no background in the dune series. I thought the cinematic experience was great. It wasn't an over the top cgi mess. My wife thought it was a good film as is which was good to hear, as I was biased!

20. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

So many pregnant men on this BBS.

It's the uterus pressing on your bladder, no worries guys, it's normal!

Cheers! :D