1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dune thread

Discussion in 'General' started by cha0s#242, Oct 24, 2021.

Tags:
  1. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

We'll be hitting the IMAX later this week to check it out. Anybody seen it yet ? I'm a fan of the books. The David Lynch movie was actually not bad. I'm kind.of cautiously excited about the new movie but Villeneuve has slightly disappointed me in the past with his overly ambitious projects.

2. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

I haven't seen the original and I haven't read the book(s?), but watched the movie a couple days ago.

I'd say it was just okay. I wasn't aware it was meant to be a trilogy of 3 long movies until after it ended so I felt it was really unfinished and ended on a weird note, then I looked up when to expect the 2nd part and it hasn't even officially been approved yet and earliest it might be released is well over 2 years from now which I don't understand but I'm assuming Covid has disrupted plans.

Overall the movie was not bad. No cool parts, no funny parts, no real combat or fight scenes that stood out, and just a lot of dream sequences/flashbacks that seemingly never went anywhere. Maybe if I read the novels I'd have appreciated it more, who knows.

3. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I got Duned out decades ago.

sdg and motoboy like this.
  4. Raceless man

Raceless man Well-Known Member

It wasn't great. It was good. Some awesome visuals but I found the combat scenes to be a bit silly. Shai-Halud on the other hand was pretty bad Ass.

5. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

I liked it. If you liked the new Bladerunner you’ll like this one.
    I knew going in that it was gonna be first of x movies so I knew not to expect an actual ending to the story.

6. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

I want to see it in the theater, but being in my late 50's, I know there's no way I can get through the 2:30 running time without a bathroom run. It's available on HBO Max, so I'd be able to pause it, but I'd really prefer the big screen.

7. wac

wac Well-Known Member

I recommend big screen on this one ,IMAX if possible.
    Good movie, real science fiction flim, missing a little bit of story telling.

8. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

This 61 year old made it through Bond last week with only one run:D It had been so long since I've been to a theater that I didn't know about all the cool new stuff. I'm watching the previews in the seat between my wife and son and notice that they're all reclined with their feet in the air. I looked over at my wife like WTF. She showed me the magic button, I was in heaven. That and the fact that you can't even see anyone other than the people in your aisle (of which there weren't any) made it a quite enjoyable viewing. I may not wait 6 years to go back again.

scottn likes this.
  9. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Gatorade bottle.

10. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I thought the new Bladerunner was entertaining, but not awesome. I'm expecting the same with Dune.

11. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Truckers.....:crackup:

Past Glory and dtalbott like this.
  12. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

We solve problems. :beer:

969 and Sabre699 like this.
  13. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Is this the movie with Joe Roberts in it?

vfrket likes this.
  14. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

i watched it friday night on HBO Max in my living room. no mega audio set up or whatever the dave Ks have, just a sound bar.

i enjoyed it. i knew it was going to be first of XX movies so didnt have expectations of closure, and i have zero knowledge of the books or previous films. enjoyable sci fi flick, shai hulud was very cool. i didnt hate the main actor either although just looking at his photo in the weeks leading up i thought i would dislike him.

Montoya likes this.
  15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Cool to know it's on HBO, I'll check it out. Loved the books back in the day. Actually enjoyed the original movie even though the purists whined. Never understood how they truly expected everything that was in the books as huge as they were. It'd take half a dozen movies to cover the details in just the original book and they'd all suck.

Huh, just looked at the books, read the original 6 and had no idea they started expanding the universe in 2000. Should make for an entertaining off season :D

Montoya and dtalbott like this.
  16. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Don't do it. It's not worth the pain and suffering. It's probably where they got the inspiration for the last season of GoT. Especially Sandworms. I did it since I thought I should as a fan of the series. It's just a bunch of go-nowhere plot, and then in the last 50-100 pages, they realized they needed to end the story and just made up stuff and called it a day.

17. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

So it sucks. I had high hopes. Oh well thanks for saving me some money.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Which last 50-100 pages of which book though? Looks like they've got another dozen or more books out as prequels and such set in the same universe.

19. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

Anything Dennis velanuve makes is fucking gold.

I loved it.

I loved the realism of the cgi (especially on my 4K oled Samsung 65”) I liked the slow pace. Action movies today are all about bombastic scenes and ridiculous action.

Blade runner 2049 was the best film I’ve seen since... well... the arrival.... since.... well.... Sicario...

20. Cawk Star

Cawk Star Well-Known Member

Watched it Saturday night on my 4K blah blah blah tv and it looked amazing. I enjoyed the film, honestly don't remember much of the original because I was too young at the time, but I did enjoy it. The ending left me wanting Part 2.