1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ducati 999, good? bad? UGLY?

Discussion in 'General' started by wera313, Jul 17, 2002.

1. wera313

wera313 Well-Known Member

The replacement for the 998...

[​IMG]

I think the fairings look similar to a 900ss. I don't think I like the headlights, but it may grow on me. Give credit to Ducati for trying something totally different with styling though...

I think the value of your 916/996/998 mave have just gone up a notch??!!?

<Photo from http://www.amasuperbike.com>

Last edited: Jul 17, 2002
  2. jarcoco

jarcoco shimmy shimmy coco puff

yeah, i was just looking at that. looks like it fell outa the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down.

3. amaner

amaner will do math for food

looks a little "mv augusta-ish"

4. Ex CCS Racer

Ex CCS Racer Banned

Looks very MV Agusta'ish:)

5. amaner

amaner will do math for food

makes me wonder... do any of the italian bike marques share designers? i know it's common for the car makers to share body designers... just a thought.

6. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

It looks pregnant to me. I definately don't like the front at all.

7. wera313

wera313 Well-Known Member

The designer that designed the 916 left Ducati to design the MV Agusta. This Duc was designed by the new guy at Ducati. The tail looks more MV-ish than I orginally saw...

8. Ex CCS Racer

Ex CCS Racer Banned

I think if your name is Fartanoli or Crapolini you probably design bikes for ALL Italian bike companies.

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

It looks like my neighbor's kid "R" typed a 1976 Moto Guzzi. :eek:

10. SpongeBob WeaselPants

SpongeBob WeaselPants Bohemian Ass-Clown

What's it matter how it looks? Aren't Ducs always broken anyway?

11. hdrk2006

hdrk2006 Well-Known Member

It's very ugly. I would've expected sopmething more innovative from Ducati. Look how long the 916/955/996/998 line lasted without significant changes in the looks department.

Paige: I agree it looks preggo but some folks are into that (not me)

Eric: A ducati has to look good because thats all they do... sit around waiting for parts! :)

12. derby369

derby369 Well-Known Member

I'm definately going to pick up a 998 when they drop in price. The 916/996/998 bodystyle is still stunningly attractive. The 999 looks, shall I say, "normal".

The underseat exhausts look like a pain in the ass to replace w/ aftermarket. I was hoping that they could come up w/ something more attractive than this for when they ditched the old single sided swingarm. I dont' like the "vents" on either side of the headlights, either.

Maybe the design will grow on me, but until then I'll be on the lookout for a cheap 998.

From the small blurb over @ www.motorcyclenews.com from a guy that rode one, it sounds like they changed the chassis around a lot. "Longer wheelbase but steers quicker." It'll be interesting to see how this bike does its first year in World Superbike w/o the benefit of a decade of setup info.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2002
  13. Dutch

Dutch Token white guy

I thought they would have learned from the luke warm reception that the latest Super Sport line up got. I guess not. Why did they have to take a classic design and uglify it like this? They did the same thing with the 900SS and 750SS. What a waste. It totally looks like an MV rip off as well. At least they could have been original.

14. bazoda

bazoda Member

Certainly not the work of art the 916/996/998 is. It looks like it was designed by a marketing committee that knew it had to come up with something different but lacked the nerve to completely abandon the old shape. And that exhaust canister/breadbox is awful.

15. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

This is not a great design, at least from this angle. It looks like a muscular 900, not like an update 998. Very disappointing. But. . . an acquaintance who rode the pre-preduction version said they are kickass in the handling and HP depts. I guess it better be b/c it won't sell on looks! Not as pretty as an R1 but cuter than a GSXR, but thats not saying much when you're shelling out 17 large for a streetbike.

Rodger

16. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

yeah, it's ugly. hopefully, it won't have problems, i.e. flaking rockers. i take exception to the 'broke' ducati comments...do your homework and you won't wait for parts. my 996 flaked a rocker but, due to foresight, i'm not suffering downtime.
    ...and, even tho' the 996 is the slowest stock 'superbike' in the acceleration/top speed dept., i have no problems staying with piped/jetted r1's down the straights on my 'stocker'...everything else is rider, well, we do have an handling advantage.

17. emeyer

emeyer Well-Known Member

I agree! The upper fairing doesn't match the lower. If this one IS pregnant, maybe it's baby it will look more like it's Daddy...
    Nice ass though!

Ed

18. VitoDuc19

VitoDuc19 MIA

And waiting at the finish line for Honda, Kawasaki, and Suzuki to show-up in World Superbike :)

As a Ducati owner (lowly old 900SS & 750SS) this new 999 is FUGLY!

Vito

19. jarcoco

jarcoco shimmy shimmy coco puff

anybody know are they still using belt driven cams with the new motor?

20. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage