1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DSLR cameras

Discussion in 'General' started by assjuice cyrus, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

A "white" canon lens? How many gazillion bucks is that? :crackup:

noles19 likes this.
  2. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

3. Busdriver02

Busdriver02 Well-Known Member

I have the image stabilizing version of that 70-200. It's very nice.

I have no experience with Tamron.

4. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

2k range you might look at the new mirrorless stuff.
    https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-rp-rf-24-105mm-f4-l-is-usm-kit

Oh and while the 24-240 lens sounds great sadly from everything I have read avoid it. If they could have pulled it off it would have been a great utility lens but from everything I have saw it vignettes horrible in all but the center zoom.

5. USracer900

USracer900 Well-Known Member

Depends on which (white) Canon lens you're talking about. The 70-200 F4 (no IS) is around $600. Incredibly sharp lens but I'd want IS. "Image Stabilization". Some of the big daddy lenses, like 600mm and up you see at football games can run 10K easy. I have the 70-200 2.8 IS II and it was maybe $1700 new a couple years ago. It's an investment but they will last years.

6. assjuice cyrus

Is it silly for her to get a non i.s. lens?

7. USracer900

I wouldn't say silly, but she will get more "blurry" shots due to camera shake with the non-IS version. She will have to make sure and keep her shutter speed faster to get those tack sharp shots or utilize a tripod or brace against something, a fence/wall etc. If she's outdoors shooting motorcycles, this may not be a huge issue though, I'd be around 1/1000 or faster shutter speed anyways. Looks like the IS version of the F4 is $500 more. That's a bit of coin but it will be something that you will use for a long time, IMO it's worth the investment. Supposedly, the F4 is even a bit sharper than the 2.8. I'm sure its splitting hairs at that point but the 2.8 is a BIG tank of a lens. Doesn't bother me and I like the feel of mine but others complain that it's too big and heavy.

assjuice cyrus likes this.
  8. assjuice cyrus

Here is some of the shots from Friday. With her 55-250 that does have i.s.

Attached Files:

USracer900 likes this.
  9. assjuice cyrus

I talked her into the 70-200 f4 with I.S. She never spends money on her self its either for the kids or she buy something and them return cause she feels guilty. I know she will use it and enjoy it. But now I need to try and find her a good portrait lens and surprise her with that for mothers day.

USracer900 likes this.
  10. USracer900

Cool shots, I have the 55-250 and honestly for the money it is a fantastic lens. Yes the 70-200 is better but you pay for it. She needs to work on "filling the frame". Either zoom in more, crop in post or a combination of both. Pics will look much better when the subject matter is much larger and less background noise. Also could use some touch up in post, maybe some more contrast, boost shadows a tad etc. It's really a feel thing when I'm editing. Does she edit in Lightroom? Great program, highly recommend.

Back to gear, I'd really look for a 7D Mark II camera body. She can fire away and get thousands of shots in a day. With lightroom you can fly through them and pick the keepers fairly quickly. I usually only keep 10-20% of what I take when shooting subjects like these. 10 frames a second vs 3 for your T2i is HUGE. Photography is a combination of good gear, the photographer's skills and editing skills. Photographer's skills are about 70% I'd say. Editing can be a huge part as well. We have't touched on shooting RAW vs JPEG but for outdoor stuff where you really don't have to worry about white balance too much I'd stick with JPEG and fire away. (sorry, I get carried away talking photography sometimes) :)

assjuice cyrus likes this.
  11. assjuice cyrus

@USracer900 no man all the info the better. Those shots are non edited they came straight from the camera. She has been all basically self taught and youtube. No body we know has been able to teach her about setting and what do and how to do things.

I will let her know about back light editing. Thanks for all your help with this.

USracer900 likes this.
  12. USracer900

NP, I'm self taught, most of us are. Started about 9 years ago when my daughter was born and starting taking pics like crazy. Morphed into a hobby and then some. I bet I have over 100K (edited) pics of just her over the years. We have a 3 year old also, he might have 2K pics pics, poor kid. ha. Software is called Lightroom by Adobe, you have to pay a monthly subscription for it, like $10/month but worth it. There's a zillion books on the subject but one I highly recommend is called "Understanding Exposure". Taught me a lot about the big 3 (Aperture, Shutter speed and ISO). She's gotta understand what those do and how they affect each other.

13. USracer900

Awesome, she will love the 70-200. Portrait lens, hands down the 50mm 1.8. Like $120 which is a STEAL for a lens that produces that level of sharpness. No zoom, so you zoom with your feet. I actually had the 1.4 version which is more expensive but felt the 1.8 was far more consistent on hitting focus. Down the road, next lens I would highly recommend is the Canon 17-55 2.8 That and my 70-200 2.8 are 95% of what I shoot with, fantastic lenses.

Edit: Not to keep piling on the gear but for good indoor shots an external Speedlight flash is essential! She gets good with flash and she will be 90% there. It's the toughest to master but once you get the hang of it, it's not too bad. Canon EX430 II (around $230ish) is a GREAT flash, don't waste your money on the Chinese clones, they are junk. As is the on camera flash also. Anyways, another subject for another day...

Once you invest in the basics she will be good for a long time. I haven't bought any camera gear in over two years. (A record for me!)

14. assjuice cyrus

@USracer900 Lens is do to be here Thursday. Got any tips or tricks I can pass on to her on setting and how to get the most out of it? She is beyond excited.

15. USracer900

Congrats! She will love it. A few settings come to mind, have her shoot in TV mode, set shutter to 1/1000 and that should be fast enough. Set ISO to auto and F stop to 4.0. Also, when shooting moving objects, choose "AI Servo" as your focus mode. With Canon, only choose either "One Shot" if the subject is stationary or "AI Servo" if moving. Also set up a center point focus only. Most accurate and sensitive focal point, don't let the camera choose focal points for you. I also utilize a setting called "Back button focus". She doesn't have to set this up just yet but it's useful down the road.

There's a couple settings on the lens as well, one for close up subjects, less than something like 10 feet and one farther away, choose according to what you're shooting. There's another setting for if you're panning or stationary. Again choose accordingly. Good luck!

j cal likes this.
  16. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

So I read this entire thread and it may as well be in Swahili. I know nothing about photography or cameras, but I want to buy a decent camera for my girlfriend. She's constantly taking photos but has never taken a picture with anything that didn't also make phone calls. What's a decent entry level unit to get her feet wet?

I see Canon and Nikon stuff on Amazon in the $500-700 range but the specs mean nothing to me. Is there a minimum something I should be looking at?

17. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

18. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Good to hear thanks. That's the type of thing I keep looking at. Seems plenty good enough to me.