1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Driving: The REAL National Challenge

Discussion in 'General' started by YamahaRick, Jan 19, 2001.

1. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Just for grins, I punched in all of the NC race locations in my Microsoft Streets & Maps program. Starting from my home in North Georgia, making round trips to each National Challenge location, in sequence. It wasn't exact; I used either city names or race track location zip codes.

Total mileage? 12,932.3.

Take out Portland? 7712.6.

2. Hammer-117

Hammer-117 Well-Known Member

I guess that's why I have 330,000 miles on my Toyota 4x4....And the power mirrors still work [​IMG]

3. Zanyeights

Zanyeights Well-Known Member

That sounds about right. I raced all of them except Texas last year. Lots of driven. Worth every mile of it! Indy is still up in the air but all the others were great even Summit in the rain and the doubles at AMS and Memphis. Okay maybe not doubls but just real bumpy.

Ryan

4. vlwebdesigns

vlwebdesigns Well-Known Member

I know what you mean Rick. I figured everything out from Nashville and it's about 12,500 miles for the year. My only suggestion is that the TN, GA, AL guys caravan to all the north stuff we can. If we can draft the trucks/trailers just right we can save gas. I'm looking forward to Portland though, even if it's 48 hours of driving to get there.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's all? Then why is it the WERA trucks always get 35-40k per year on them and they don't do anytihg but go to races... I didn't think I drove more miles to the Sportsman stuff but I guess I do... Interesting.

6. YamahaRick

Sean, that is to the NC rounds ONLY. No Sportsman weekends, no track inspections, no doughnut runs.

Perhaps we should find a shipping company to sponsor the Portland round. They could have containers at the Cycle Jam, where all NC riders could load up their stuff. Just like the GP teams! After Portland, then the containers would be delivered to ... hmm, well, Summitt would not work, because of the big time gap. Maybe at WERA's HQ, where the bikes could be picked up.

You could then charter a plane to fly everyone up and back. Too much time to drive you know. What gate at the ATL airport should we meet? Can I use my Delta upgrade coupons? Will I get mileage? I'm Medallion level, you know.

Of course, if you can arrange all this, I'm sure you can arrange that it will not rain that weekend as well.

7. Zanyeights

Zanyeights Well-Known Member

Now that would be too cool. There was a fella on here a while back that owned or ran a shipping company and he would be the man to talk to about it.

8. td930

td930 Well-Known Member

ryan, aren't you privvy to some aircraft?
    like old c130's or somethin? ooppps...yer a navy man, well how bout a big boat [​IMG]

9. Scarbs

Scarbs Well-Known Member

Yeh, I talked to the shipping guy about a month ago. I think he said it would cost about $1.25 per pound (don't forget the crate and weight), if memory serves, when shipping from San Francisco, CA to Nashville. There was a guy named Tony Alvarez on the BBS, maybe you mean him...

10. WERA476

WERA476 Well-Known Member

I think this is the info you may be looking for. Just happen to read across it on the WERA Vintage site in the classifieds.

TRANSPORTATION SERVICES: MY NAME IS TONY ALVAREZ I AM AN ACCCOUNT EXECUTIVE WITH ARIES FREIGHT SYSTEMS IN HOUSTON TEXAS. WE OFFER TRANSPORTATION SERVICES GLOBALY. INTERNATIONAL AND DOMESTIC AIR/OCEAN/GROUND FREIGHT SERVICES OUR SERVICES ARE AS FOLLOWS: 1.DOMESTIC AND INTERNATIONAL AIRFREIGHT SERVICES. 2.CRAITING. 3.OCEAN FREIGHT SERVICES. 4.CUSTOMS BROKERAGE. 5.DOMESTIC TRUCKLOAD AND HOTSHOT SERVICES. 6.IMPORT/EXPORT SERVICES. WE CAN PICK UP YOUR EQUIPMENT ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD AND WE CAN DELIVER YOUR EQUIPMENT ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD. YOU MAY CONTACT ME VIA EMAIL AT [email protected] OR YOU MAY CALL ME ON MY CELL PHONE AT 832-567-7853. YOUR PERSONAL CHECK AND CREDIT CARDS ARE WELCOME. THANK YOU, TONY ALVAREZ ACCOUNT EXECUTIVE ARIES FREIGHT SYSTEMS HOUSTON, TEXAS
    TONY ALVAREZ <[email protected]>
    HOUSTON, TX USA - Wednesday, December 06, 2000 at 18:51:45 (EST)

11. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

Rick why don't you do mileage total for the Southeast rounds? [​IMG]

12. YamahaRick

OK Tracee, just for you ...

I calcuated mileage to each of the 12 SE rounds, as well as the GNF. Again, I used a Metro Atlanta ZIP as the origin of each round trip. I don't know why, but the ZIP of 30135-1280 came to mind for this example.

Total Mileage: 5587.2.

Remember, this does not include mileage to and from hotel rooms, grocery stores, etc. Gives you something to think about.

Your welcome, Tracee.

13. YamahaRick

Microsoft Streets & Maps 2001 actually shows two tracks within the graphics database. Kinda neat to find this. This actually helped me find Summit when I was working in West Virginia, and was able to stop in on my way back to the Dulles Airport.

I wonder why Road Atlanta did not show?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. julrich

julrich Well-Known Member

If you live in California, a season of chasing the National Challenge Series will put 60,000 miles on your truck. Which is why it is important to have a kid to help drive.

15. wookie

wookie Well-Known Member

I am coming from huntsville and can haul another two bikes if anyone is interested in commuting to midcentral races this year we'll be running all the races except Hallett in july (going to road A instead). If anyones interested in sharing the driving and cutting some costs email me.

da wookie
    Josh Bredeson

16. Tracee Polcin

Cool info Rick, thanks.

17. aod99

aod99 Administrator

I'm with your Sean, We log 30,000 miles going to the races from DC, and that is just going to the races.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's only because you all need to move to Atlanta, much, muuch better positioning for your 2002 assault on the overall championship.... [​IMG]

I've always guessed that about half my miles are for Nationals and the other half is the Sportsman stuff. Throw in an extr 2k or so for traveling to shows and the like and you have anywhere from 30-40k for a season. The upside is that my 2.5 year old Jeep has only 14k on it...

19. vlwebdesigns

vlwebdesigns Well-Known Member

Alas, why I moved close to Nashville. It's a good center point to travel from. Though it really doesn't help much for Portland.

20. Tracee Polcin

My 99 Ram which was bought in August of 99 has 40,000 on it now. [​IMG]