1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dremels suck

Discussion in 'General' started by JamesG, Feb 13, 2008.

1. JamesG

JamesG Architeuthis dux

Been porting the head on my '90 Tracker (because I can), and have come to the conclusion that Dremel tools suck ass.
    :down:

In about 10hrs of working time, I've had to replace the switch and brushes from an older one I scrapped for parts, and the high speed cutters go dull and start clogging with aluminum after less than an hour. And don't get me started about the wire wheels that can't even do a complete port before shedding most of their bristles.

ARGH!! :mad:

Is there an alternative to Dremel? Or do they have a lock on the small motortool business (which explains why quality sucks so bad)?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  2. james walker

james walker beat down, broken & busted

good question:up:

i need to pick up a new one and was looking at these the other day at sears. there was another brand they had there as well but had not ever used before. wish i could remember the brand. didnt buy either tho'...not too particularly fond of dremel.

3. cletus

cletus doesn't know sh*t

4. JamesG

JamesG Architeuthis dux

Hey cool. That is what I was looking for before I started this project but didn't think to try harbor freight.

At this point I am "invested" in the Dremel, I just wish I could find better quality bits that fit this POS.

5. Strick

Strick Good to be king

So you really are polishing a turd.:p

6. JamesG

JamesG Architeuthis dux

no man. Trackers (ok, Suzuki Sidekicks) are really cool little trucks!

Better than fat assed Jeeps! :p:Poke: :D

7. sdg

sdg *

A little wd-40 or other light oil will do wonders for keeping your cutters from clogging in aluminum.

- and a dremel is NO substitute for a die grinder :D

8. JamesG

JamesG Architeuthis dux

Yeah I know, but I had a dremel already...

I will try the oil on the next part, port matching the intake manifold. :)

9. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Huh....... you think he's got a turd, wait till you see the 4x4 im working on :) few more weeks and I will post pics up .:rock:

10. james walker

Go big, or go home:D......
    [​IMG]

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah baby, pimpin the vette!

12. Smokes35

Smokes35 Well-Known Member

Does dremel maybe make like a professional model?

Maybe look into getting some used jewelers equipment?

Just an idea... im talking out of my ass as i have no experience with either.

13. RB

RB Well-Known Member

Dremel's are barely adequate for porting a Hodaka cyl. You need a nice 1/4" die grinder. I had great luck with the Hitachi brand.

14. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Hah.. Come get some :D

Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
  15. james walker

how's yer neck? :crackup:

that frickin' rocks.

16. RDJeff

RDJeff Well-Known Member

Dremels work just fine if you run the right speed, use a remote cable to keep the filings out of the motor, and use the right wax on the tools. I've done several sets of cast iron heads with the same unit, then did RD Yamaha cylinders (cast iron liners in aluminum castings), just have to change brushes every 50 hours or so.

17. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

That thing would get stuck in my fender well......its big :D

18. GrantMLS

GrantMLS Well-Known Member

been using this one for 8 years now to do porting works great.. :up:

19. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

those rotozip's at home depot look pretty handy. You can put lots of attachments on them like a dremel, but it looks to be much more powerful. I've never used one though.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've got a roto zip and it's cool but bulky for little stuff. Not sure if it has a remote cable setup like the dremel, if so it'd work great.