1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DOM Tubing Online

Discussion in 'General' started by ScottyRock155, Jul 26, 2020.

1. sdg

sdg *

I've bought from aed Motorsports out of Indianapolis before...eons ago.

2. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

None of my moly has snapped other than some suspension arms. I do know about the normalization process. I've just seen some big money drag cars from big money shops not do too great after an incident at the top end of the track. I also saw a track day 4th gen Camaro with snapped moly bars after losing its brakes and smacking a wall.

As far as the energy shedding comment, the USAC cars are mostly chassis, engine, axles, wheels. when the axles snap, id say they take a significant amount of energy away from the chassis. Especially considering that they are prolly around 30-35% of the entire cars weight. The Outlaws on the other hand have that big ole wang that acts like a pillow when they start to flip. LOL

My friends and I call the USAC/Outlaw Sprint cars Tumbler Buckets. lol

3. fossil

fossil Well-Known Member

Mitch Piper at Piper Motorsport in Leesburg, VA has probably built more Miata cages than anybody else. Hundreds. He is a really good guy and a wonderful fabricator.
    [email protected] (703)777-6301. He used to roadrace motorbikes back in the day. He has all the specs for SCCA-legal cages. I've seen several Miatas test his cages severely, never saw a failure. He is pretty busy at his shop, probably best to email him.

4. iagsxr

iagsxr Well-Known Member

5. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Oh, trust me I know all about USAC and Outlaw cars. Been around Midgets and Sprints since the 80s. Done everything from building them, to driving them myself. Trust me, there isn't much to take energy away on a non wing car. The white car is one of 3 sitting in the shop in Texas right now. My step brother has 2 Sprint cars in his shop, one 305 winged and one 410 non wing.
    [​IMG]

6. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

I believe you about the energy shedding. I was just doing head physics. My wife and i have agree'd that when i'm done with bikes and want to go back to cars, im going to race non winged sprints. lol

By chance have you heard of Ryan Ruhl? He's one of my best pals from my hometown. He races in the SOD series and some other stuff in the Smith Motorsports 71H car. He also has a personal car running the #16 that he runs some local stuff with. He has run the Chile bowl a few times too.

7. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Can't say I know the name. I have been a little disconnected from the Chili Bowl for a while since moving to Canada. My step brother is still going, but I haven't been in a few years. My step brother's name is Kyle Jones. He was the last winner of the Tulsa Shootout Midget class before they dropped that class at the shootout. He took a ride this last weekend in his 410 non wing sprint. It was hard enough to bend one of the downtubes on the cage.

8. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

Problem is I'm not building a normal cage, this is for a kart project just for fun. Thank you though.

I thought about starting with a pre-built cage and modifying, but I decided to go full custom. And I'm using a bastard NC Miata with has about 5% of the aftermarket support of the NA/NB.