1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dollar shave club

Discussion in 'General' started by DonDDR, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

Yo, O'Douche,

can you even grow a beard? :D

I will start getting dollar shave club when they start sending me straight razors.
    I shave my head and face with a straight razor and go get my back, arms, abs and chest waxed. I leave the legs alone. :crackup:

2. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

I think the blades I'm using now are called Feather Blades or something like that. They are laser sharp. I can get a few shaves out of each blade. I culd probably go with more, but considering how inexpensive they are, it's so much easier to toss them every other/third day and have a new, laser sharp blade at the ready.

There really isn't a learning curve with the safety razor. It was a little odd the first couple of times I used it. Now it's no biggie, and I (rarely) slice my face open, haha!

3. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Feather blades are great. I have used them quite a bit. This is what I just got:
    http://www.fendrihan.com/astra-doubleedge-safety-razor-blades-p-227.html?cPath=116_4_126

I like the Astra blades. They are not quite as sharp as the feather, but they seem to last about twice as long. I also find that if you want more life out of your blade you can take it out and flip it over. I will never go back to those plastic cartridge razors again. My next purchase is going to be a straight razor.

4. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Those Astra Platinum's are what I have been using and like the best(so far).

5. madcat6183

madcat6183 2006 GSXR

I know its race season but Dorco is running 20.00 off 50.00. I quit DSC and picked up the same blades, even match the DSC handle, spend $34.00 for like 32 blades and 2 handles. No brainer, same exact blades.

Code is; DORCOPROCODE

It was working as of Saturday when my friend got the same package I did.

Photo likes this.
  6. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I quit DSC not because of cost but due to the blades being crap. I would get one that worked fine and then the next felt like it was ripping the hairs off my face. And I've got a pretty light beard.

7. RollieManollie

RollieManollie I Need to Get My Beak Wet

I need to shave everyday for work. Joined DSC and upgraded to their mid range blades. No complaints here and like the service.

8. Aweasel

Aweasel Well-Known Member

use https://www.harrys.com/

good kit, blades last, a lot cheaper than mach 3s, just as good if not better IMO..

9. 1dwn5up

1dwn5up Well-Known Member

Have you tried the Feathers made in Japan? I'm currently on the Astra's, which I have no complaints, but the Feathers are supposedly sharper.

It'll be a while before I finish Astra's. 100 blades x 2 sides = 200 fresh shaves. Best thing I've switched to from the other thread recommending safety razors.

10. backcountryme

Feather are awesome blades. I really like them. They are really sharp, but they don't last very long. I found myself going back to Astra.

11. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

I like the Feathers in my razor, and like you said, they are laser sharp. However, I change them pretty often since they seem to lose their edge after a few shaves. Not that they are dull, by any stretch, but the sharpness does drop off. To me, I think it's because they are so sharp initially, anything less than their edge is perceived as dull. I certainly would exercise care in handling even a used Feather, since it'll still cut you crazy fast.

12. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

This is exactly my experience as well. I shave daily. 1 blade lasts for a week, and I start with a new blade on Monday. The service is inexpensive and reliable.

13. G2G

G2G I feel the need

I have used Dollar Shave Club for about 6 months now. I get the cheap 2 blade razors. I only shave once a week since I do not have to be clean shaven for work. I replace teh blade after using it 2 times since they are so cheap. I also use the shaving lotion. That works great and I love it.

14. backcountryme

What does the dollar shave club cheap subscription cost? I guarantee that the way I shave is many times cheaper a year. New soap once a year: $8, 100 blades every 2 years : $14. So I am under $25 a year for shaving and I get a much better shave then those little plastic razors will ever give.

15. pg_rider

pg_rider Doesn't race anymore...

I thought the top-of-the-line Dorco blades were shockingly bad when I tried them. Went straight back to a Schick Hydro 5...

16. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Fusion 5 blade, store in mineral oil. Lasts me a couple months per blade.

17. backcountryme

Mineral oil is the real key. Most blades go dull from the oxides that build up on them, not from the blade actually wearing out. I like to clean my razor with alcohol, then store in oil.

18. JohnS

JohnS Well-Known Member

Code still works. Thanks.

19. madcat6183

madcat6183 2006 GSXR

NP, so can someone or multiples tell me if I should upgrade to shave soap and a hair brush setup? Like I only shave 2-3 times a week and on Saturday or Sunday before church. I've used about any OTC shave cream, gel, all that and I still get some irritation on the neck. Not much, but wondering if the shave soap with a nice brush will help.

FWIW, Im ordering a second Dorco setup, on the 3rd shave last night with my first blade and uber happy with it still. At this rate less than 1 blade a week with the current discount code I could stock up for 2 years.

20. cincigp

cincigp Well-Known Member

In my experience, the higher end soaps and creams with a good brush can provide better protection. However, it takes time to get them consistent. I found the biggest difference with using a preshave oil. Your issue may not be related to your cream at all. Take a good look at the grain on your neck. Your hair may be growing in a different direction than you think, which could be the source of your irritation. My hair grows up and to the sides on my lower neck and straight down above that. I have to make sure I get a couple good passes with the grain on the lower part before going against the grain or I get some pretty bad irritation. Good technique is much more important than which cream or soap you are using.

What part of Ohio are you in? There is a nice, well stocked shave shop on the square in Medina.