1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does Crutchlow deserve a shot in MotoGP

Discussion in 'General' started by Capt slow, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Capt slow

Capt slow Active Member

I don't understand why Crutchlow is on the fast track for Yamaha. Besides a supersport title his resume isn't spectacular and he's not exactly dominating this year in superbike. Is it because he would fill the void of a British rider in the premier class. It just seems like there are a few riders in moto2 that would be a better choice. I'm interested in others thoughts on what the appeal is of Crutchlow over some other riders. I don't get it.

2. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

I was wondering the same thing. I believe, other riders have more wins, and or better finishes than Cal, yet, they remain in WSB..I don't get it, maybe he brings big time sponsor $$$$ or something..?

3. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Being British doesn't hurt. Being within the Yamaha team is very helpful. His potential is admintingly there.

Besides that, I can't really disagree with you.

Mindewe, the only standouts up to now in Moto2 & WSBK has been Elias and <cough> the roman emperor. They're both old news I'm afraid...

4. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

considering it is his first season on the big bike, he is doing incredible. Look at kenan sofuoglu, kicks ass on the 600, didn't exactly light the world on fire on the big bike even with a top team. In the much closer in performance class (600ss), Cal pretty much dominated.. Might be part of what they are looking at. Im fairly sure had he not been at the pointy end of MANY wsbk races, he would have been passed over. Also could be some of the sponsorship dollars he brings along? Not sure how that works but im betting Monster is sending a decent amount of money his way.

5. vrc

vrc Well-Known Member

I am sure a percent has to do with filling that British void.Cal is a great rider and winning a world ss title is pretty impressive.Same thing with Melandri going to World Superbike, just dont know.Maybe Ben has raised the bar to high and has blurred everyones vision.Yamaha is all about bringing up the up and coming but time will tell.

6. Demented

Demented Well-Known Member

It's similar to rubbing a dog's nose in their own shit. What would piss Toseland off more to have Ben Spies come from that garage to replace him in MotoGP, to be sent back to Yamaha WSBK, then his teamate this year going to Tech 3.

I think Yamaha is messing with Toseland, plus Cal is fast.

7. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

Cal is fast, seems according to the standings, that Rea is faster, and more consistent. As for pissin JT off, that's a good enuff reason for me..:D

8. KrooklynSV

KrooklynSV Usual Suspect

Rea is from N. Ireland though, so that hurts him with respect for the "need" for a Brit in MotoGP. I think Cal will do well enough. However, his lack of real quality finishes does raise doubts. IMO the two Brits that show real MotoGP promise are B. Smith and lately S. Redding.

9. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

I think the key to being a successful team manager is not being able to identify who is successful, but rather who will be. Team Hammer has done a hell of a job of this over the years.

10. H8R

H8R Bansgivings in process

After watching the way Cal rode the R1 at Silverstone like a 600 I was stoked to see him get a MotoGP ride with Tech3.

11. burner42

burner42 Well-Known Member

Does Crutchlow deserve a shot in MotoGP ?
    No, he has not done anything this season, except for Silverstone, unfortunately not all the GP races will be held at Silverstone... only 1. There are more deserving riders imo...

12. like Cal on the superbuke. Agressive riding style is fun to watch. Putting a Brit on your GP is great PR. Even if he's in 10th, he will be "riding a brave ride" and other such things.

13. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

alot of people thought the same thing about nicky, but at least he produced a title, i didnt read if his deal was a one year deal or not

14. streetfight3r

streetfight3r Well-Known Member

MotoGP is a strange thing. There's always guys lingering in the back who I have no idea where they came from. For the most exclusive 15-17 seats in motorcycle racing, there's definitely some huge questions about "deserving" the ride. Its gotta be all about the benjamins I figure.

15. inpayne

inpayne Well-Known Member

One guy can't remember his name, but daddy is buying him a motogp seat next year, up from moto2.

16. Demented

Demented Well-Known Member

Sir crash a lot, Karel Abraham.

17. jami6989

jami6989 Active Member

He didn't "deserve" to be in Moto2, but Cardion AB evidently thinks he belongs in MotoGP.

The entire back half of the GP grid is lackluster so Cal, at worst, will fit in.

18. vrc

vrc Well-Known Member

Abraham has been in the top 10 3 times finished in the top 5 twice in Moto 2 and has been racing on the world level for five years,he's only 20 years old.

You do realize MotoGP is only about sec 1/2 from 1st place to last place.Rookies on satellite bikes/teams or anyone else racing on a world level are far from being lacklusters.

19. meowculpa

meowculpa Well-Known Member

I think comparisons with Kenan Sofoglu are like apples to oranges.. IIRC Cal actually raced 1000cc superbikes in BSB - world supersport was a step down and a year's worth of hiatus and now he is back on a superbike doing fairly well when compared to his illustrious predecessor and some of his current contemporaries but certainly not dominating the WSBK scene. I think it's fair to expect more from him but i do agree with your post that being british , able to bring sponsorship money and the fortuitous alliance with Yamaha has a lot to do with his "promotion" .Kenan was on supersport alone and found the transition tough.

20. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I think Cal will do great on the 800.