1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone know what kind of bike this is?

Discussion in 'General' started by Larry Lawrence, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

I have been looking for a photo of the motor with the twin cam watercooled head. They could put out some serious HP!

2. T.Read

T.Read Well-Known Member

Lots of singles with twin exhaust ports. Honda XR dirt bikes have them.

3. Mike Dillon

Mike Dillon Well-Known Member

How come those watercooled motors never took off? Just too heavy?

I guess this is a threadjack...sorry.

4. 512V

512V Well-Known Member

George had two brothers that raced WERA. R.L.Tapscott was one,but can't remeber the other one's name.

Tom

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Boss thinks maybe John. That pic is definitely a Tapscott, not small enough for anyone else :D

6. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

A few showed up on the miles. They were a very "peaky" motor. It was marlin Hart I believe that had one setup for Springfield. They were more common in roadracers.

[​IMG]

7. hatman

hatman Wounded Duc

If the "RL" is "Robert" (Bob), then I raced against him quite a bit -- on a very similar bike -- with AHRMA in the late 90s.

8. hatman

hatman Wounded Duc

Here you go:

http://www.barebones.net/machines.htm

9. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

10. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

11. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

I have a water head road racer I've rebuilt/tweaked in the shop - a real Wood-Rotax road racer. They were $20k new, TZ suspension, all the good stuff. 280 lbs., this one is 74 hp.

I'd post photos if any Rotax freaks were interested.

12. V2Neal

V2Neal Well-Known Member

Yes! Pics please. :beer:
    I have an ATK 604 DS, and an extra 604 sitting around. I'd love to built it into a super single of sorts.

13. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Give me a few clicks.

14. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

I seem to remember that Ron Wood was upset about this and took legal action. In the end, the only bikes that could be called Harleys were the ones ridden by the two factory riders. The rest had to be identified as either Rotax or Wood-Rotax. I remember at Daytona short track they got around it by announcing things like, "Chris Carr qualified fastest on the Sacramento Harley Davidson tuned machine."

15. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I believe the other Tapscott brother was Ken. I remember racing against him in the Midwest in the early 80s, so he must have been on a single, then too, since that is mostly what I was racing at the time.

ken

16. 512V

512V Well-Known Member

Yes,Ken was the third brother.If I remember correctly he rode an Ascot and RL had a Yamaha SRX 600.RL later rode a Yamaha XS 650 twin in vintage.They ran the singles in clubman.

Tom

17. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Hey!!!

Bitemy ass! I looked at the pic and commented. Does anyone actually read all the comments before posting? I thought that was against the rules.....:moon:

btw, where is a pic of a watercooled head? haha

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If I remember right there was a race at IRP once where the front row was either Nicky or Tommy flanked by two of the Tapscotts. Hilarious looking :D

19. Larry Lawrence

Larry Lawrence Well-Known Member

I've got a photo of Fritz Kling and a very young Nicky Hayden standing next to each other on the podium after a race at IRP. I think Nicky came up to about Fritz's waist.

20. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

I would like to see that one!