1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone do any drag racing?

Discussion in 'General' started by John Hancock, Mar 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. John Hancock

John Hancock Well-Known Member

I used to dragrace cars a couple of years ago and was looking to get a bike to have some fun at my local track. Not looking to get a Busa or Zx14. Looking more at 1000cc bikes. Pros and cons of one brand versus another.

2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

3. the relic room

the relic room Well-Known Member

TurboBlew and John Hancock like this.
  4. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

I guess I'm confused as to why not Busa if it's drag only.... Buy a used one, to to track. Any other liter bike is not going to have the level of support and will be slower for the most part. Being different isn't always the smart play... But if you insist I'd do either a gsxr 1000 or a zx10r.

BigBird likes this.
  5. That was damn funny.

6. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Lol kiss it.

7. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

MH is thinking.....Faaaabbbbbuuulous

kangasj likes this.
  8. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

:moon:

9. John Hancock

Yea I might reconsider. There seems to always be Busas for sale local.

10. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Are you planning on racing or just having fun?
    GSXR and ZX10R are the only two options if you are actually racing (everything else has little to no support)

I personally have done a bunch of test and tune days just for fun, use the same zx10 I use at the track and it is a lot of fun trying to keep the front end down and still get a good time.

TurboBlew and fastfreddie like this.
  11. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

I’m interested in this as well. There is a strip not far from where I live now. I’ve never been great at launching and think this would be a big help when I grid up again.

fastfreddie and Jon Wilkens like this.
  12. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

What’s that supercharged Kawasaki thing? Get one of those.

TurboBlew likes this.
  13. John Hancock

I say it will be for fun. Don’t want to get too serious about. Just do some test-n-tune nights mainly. That’s why I’m leaning more toward a 1000cc bike.

14. John Hancock

$$$$$$$. Lol

15. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

Really depends on your goals. I've raced a ZRX for years and also a ZX14. 14 was faster, but the ZRX was dead on the numbers every time off the trailer.

What times are you looking to run? That will also dictate what bike you should be looking for. I'd consider what aftermarket parts are available for the bike as well...Suzuki and Kawasaki rule the dragstrip.

16. Jon Wilkens

It's a MASSIVE advantage to know how to launch a bike...:D It's almost unfair.:p

17. Jon Wilkens

A stock motored busa or 14 will get you low 9s (1/4) properly set up at stock wheelbase if you can ride it well. Stretch and regear will get you into the 8s. No 1000 will do this stock, AND will be much more difficult to ride. Not saying it can't be done, but if you are looking for having fun, you will see more busa and 14s at the strip than anything else. Your competitive bug will come out from there...

John Hancock and Boman Forklift like this.
  18. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Only from the grid to turn 1

:D

t500racer and ToofPic like this.
  19. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

In that case any 1000 will be fun.

And yes it makes a huge difference off the line, it is rare that I dont gain at least 3 positions at the start, but if people are faster than you they will get around anyway

20. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

It helps immensely... I forced my buddy to go with me last year who was consistently last off the line and after one night of passes he started gaining a few spots on starts instead of losing all of them...

Jon Wilkens likes this.