1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do your better halves like you racing?

Discussion in 'General' started by forceten, Jan 30, 2009.

1. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

Im there with ya, Tom. Similar scenario here. Racing since 2001, my wife hated it when i told her this was something i wanted to try. Well, i got out there, did fairly well at it, and for the next 5 years, she was my biggest fan/supporter. We made it a family weekend every race weekend. I have 2 sons, the oldest Andy has been a CW for the last 6 years, and the youngest Austin, raced the mini's for a couple of those years as well. She loved coming to the track, we had soooooooo many friends there, even when i was getting "burned out" and wanted to take a weekend off, she was looking to see what the next race weekend was and made plans for it, telling me, "youve got points to chase and a championship to win!" LOL.

Thru those years, she saw me lose 5 close friends to this sport :( Saw many others get SERIOUSLY hurt, and one paralyzed. In 2006 i sold my bike, my oldest was starting college, so i decided to just ride endurance with some friends, and even then, i was only going to do the few rounds close to home. Barber National, 2006, due to a mechanical, i highsided to the moon and fractured my pelvis in 3 places and broke my collar bone. This was the first injury i couldnt walk away from, and that kinda freaked her out. As i lay in the hospital bed at UAB, she looked down at me and asked "are you hurting bad enuff to quit now?". This was really the first time she "asked" that question. I refused to answer and just pushed the little button on the morphine drip. :D

I still instruct with Bargy, and still do ALOT of trackdays each year, but, in her words "shes been there/done that", and just isnt interested in it anymore. She has absolutely no desire to come to the track with me, and even tho she doesnt really say anything, i can tell she doesnt want me there. BUT, she's a good gal, she knows this is something i have an absolute passion for, and since ive told her "quitting" riding on the track is a decision for ME, not HER, shes' just "waiting" for that day to come. For me, unless something major happens, as long as i can throw a leg over a bike, as long as im still having fun (dont have to be the fastest guy out there), im going to continue to ride.

who knows, maybe i'll sit out 2 years, come back at 50 as a novice and cherry pick the SSB. :D:D

2. runfromme

runfromme Well-Known Member

my ex was all about it. she came to every race and helped me with the bike. she set up the trailer for sleeping while i got the garage sorted. on race day she put on and took of my warmers, helped change tires.

she knew there was a risk but she also knew that i acknowledged the and i was ok with it. i'm a police officer so she knew risk is something i deal with every day and i don't take lightly. someone died the first race weekend she came to and she was a bit rattled but we talked about it and she understood why i was going to continue racing.

i miss having her at the track because she was such a big help.

she once asked if i loved my bike more than her...i told her that my bike was just a machine that can be replaced, but if she and my ability to ride were both about to fall off a cliff, i hope it's a quick fall :D

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  3. forceten

forceten Well-Known Member

Ahh I forgot about this thread! I been working on her since when i first posted this in January. I got her to give in and let me get my provisional novice license. I'm set for nelson ledges on 5/2 and 5/3. She hasn't said ok to racing but is willing to let me have a weekend and see how it goes. So we will both be there that weekend - hopefully having a great time.

My only problem is if i love it and she really hates it how I will keep her around as i keep racing :D Since i already have my 2nd and 3rd race weekend planned now!

4. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

And you didn't finish that off with "Will you marry me?" :)

5. russomf

russomf Well-Known Member

Mine went to my first trackday with me and all was good. second time she could not come and I highsided and ended up in the hospital. She was OK once she talked to me. She was more upset we coudl not finish the trackdays that season.

She gives me 100% support, loves watching me race, helps out ALOT in the pits with other people I race with.

She likes the bragging rites, she gets to tell all her girlfriends at work, "my husband was out racing his motorcycle this weekend, he was doing 160MPH it was really cool. What did you do with your husband this weekend?"

She gets more upset/worried right before I go out for a race but she woudl never stop me. at VIR both my race partners crashed and one in the race immediately before mine. she almost asked me not to race but never said a word. She is an amazing wife. BTW if any of you every tell her I said that I will deny every word.

6. russomf

russomf Well-Known Member

Don't crash with the orange shirt on and you will be OK. that covers the first 3 race weekends. by then she will start to be OK with it.

7. Czolgosz

Czolgosz Banned

What do the wives and girlfriends say?

Who cares! :crackup: