1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do your better halves like you racing?

Discussion in 'General' started by forceten, Jan 30, 2009.

1. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Mine supports me, whatever I choose to do.

2. Silo Pete

Silo Pete We have ignition.

Yes, as long as I can pay for it. Heck, my wife actually wanted me to buy a new race bike at the end of 2008.

3. R1-Limited

R1-Limited www.sportcityrider.com

My wife hates bikes actually, that is why she got me a 50th anny R1 :beer:

Seriously, she does not like bikes at all, she asked me one day, why did you marry me if you new I hated them so much? my reply was simple, why did you marry me when you new motorcycles are and will be my first love.

I do not race anymore, I do an occasional Hare Scramble and track day, but nothing out of my budget. It is for me really no need to, I did the race thing in the late 70's early 80's and had a great time.

Now I am resolved to ride with friends, photo races and keep abreast of all the news

4. forceten

forceten Well-Known Member

I'm 38, and all ready to try racing. Like i said been gearing up for it over the past two years.......

My girl is my pit crew at the track currently. She packs the truck before a track day, helps load the bikes up. She sets up the tents at the track and gets our paddock area set up. She gets me in and out of leathers, keeps my helmet clean and now started keeping my tire pressures constant. Her best job that she likes is taking pictures. So much so that I upgraded our camera to a canon 40d and started with a 300mm IS lens. And now a 400mm L lens! She is starting to be a great photographer at the track for me.

Nothing like having your own professional photographer! She encouraged me to buy a toy hauler even though she was ok with us tenting it. She really likes that trackdays keeps me off the street also.

She also rides a 2008 ninja 250 (that I'm trying to steel for the track also :D)

I'm sure she is gonna get along with you guys (and girls)

5. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

I do what i want when I want.....pants......i wear em

6. gerryb

gerryb Well-Known Member

fUFIYGIviyb;o

Kind of funny, you see the young guys with girlfriends at the trackdays, but very few wives!! Once they got you "'THEY" make the rules!!!!

7. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

She doesn't go to the track because she knows all the dirtbag rednecks you hang out with.....

NO MORE FRONT PORCH FOR YOU!!!:D

8. eklew

eklew Active Member

My wife races as well so it is pretty cool. It did scare me when she had her first crash but luckily she was not hurt!

9. G 97

G 97 Garth

They wouldn't be the better half if they didn't ;)

10. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

My wife likes the idea of racing. She likes watching, she likes the fact that I'm doing something I love. She's not such a huge fan of me spending so much time doing it, but meh.

In the end it just comes down to money. I spend too much of it. We don't make enough of it. That's her biggest gripe (and mine too, really).

11. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

I think deep down my wife wishes I golfed or the like instead. But on the surface I gotta say she's been nothing but supportive of all my riding endeavors over the years, no matter how Evel Knievel some things have turned out.

12. 178SV

178SV now retired...

It will take all the money you're willing to throw at it.

It will take all the time you're willing to spend on it.

It will likely take you within inches of losing your life.

How do you think people who love us feel about it?

13. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Did your wife let you type that? :crackup:

14. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

My wife has slowly gotten more accepting of it, but she never said "NO!" about track riding or racing. She was a motorcycle rider when I met her, in fact I met her when I sold her a motorcycle. But she stopped riding when the kids came along 21 years ago, and I have continued in the m/c business. Our kids have owned bikes, my son and I have ridden across the USA together on separate bikes, my daughter has mastered some pretty daunting offroad terrain on her KLX.

I have been doing track days since 1988, so my wife is used to the idea. I started racing a few years ago, and she is now pretty supportive, but she gets quiet for a week or so every time I or one of my friends gets hurt doing it. This has been a bad season for that. I have blown up one bike, bought another track bike and not turned a single race lap this season, for all the $$ spent. Close friends have gotten badly hurt at every WERA event that I would have raced at this season, so she is having some thoughts. She's doing well at keeping her thoughts to herself, though. Mostly my kids say stuff like "Mom is worried that you will get badly hurt and not be able to work." They just want to be sure the tuition bills keep getting paid, so they can keep partying like it's 1977.

It has to be tough to see someone whom you depend on go put themselves at risk intentionally. It's not like I'm a cop or fireman or soldier, where there is some noble, public service aspect to this. I respect that she doesn't complai about my racing. If she did, I would miss her.

15. Frenchier6

Frenchier6 I'm just being me

You either love me for ME or Kiss my A**

I hate when wifes or husband (in my case) try to change the person they fell in love with... If you met your better half while you were either doing track day or racing OR always talking bike, if they love you... they will support you no matter what.

I tolerated GOLF for 13 years, even learn to play the game, which I am no to bad :crackup: but when things are not turned around to let you be YOU, then I don't agree with it.

I still support my ex for the great golfer that he is (and a great friend), BUT I am doing racing (when I can at my on speed) without any support because that is WHO I AM and I love it.

16. leviathan

leviathan Well-Known Member

My girl races vintage (CB360) and has been riding street since she was 16 (currently has SV650). Needless to say she loves me racing and going to the track. We can't wait for round 1 in three weeks.

Yes I know I'm a lucky man.

17. Bifferone

Bifferone Well-Known Member

You need to dump this bitch.

18. Jmartin

Jmartin Jason Martin

Mine thinks I'm selfish and wana spend all my time working on the bike. However she was there for me after my crash at CMP I broke both ankles, three ribs, and a sholder blade. All I can recommend is get AFLAC! We lost everything and this year she is not supporting me but she has let me back out there.

19. Frenchier6

Frenchier6 I'm just being me

My ex use to say... "now how much is this gonna cost"? hahah but the next weekend we got him a $500 driver for golf :crackup: He cracks me up

20. vance

vance *

Mine's completely cool about it.
    Even wants to learn how to paint so she can paint my bikes after seeing all the others in the paddock....
    But that's some funny stuff right there.
    Mind if I use that?:D