1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you think this is problematic?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by SPL170db, Apr 23, 2019.

1. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

That gave me wood

2. pg_rider

pg_rider Doesn't race anymore...

Religion is only a thing because it was created by people who didn't know where the sun went at night. Therefore, as our species progresses and becomes more intelligent it's only natural that we'll move away from stories that were created to explain the unexplainable.

As for the effect of less religion on society, I would offer that my kids (currently 10 and 11) are being raised without religion in our household and, by any measure, they're most well behaved and well adjusted kids I've ever seen. It's not religion or faith that leads to a good and successful life...

Dan Dubeau and code3ryder like this.
  3. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

This is where all that goes wrong. We are neither progressing or raising the IQ.

SPL170db likes this.
  4. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

But we are answering a lot more questions vis-a-vis the natural world and it's working that was explained away as "gods will"

code3ryder likes this.
  5. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

Dsispas posted a good podcast from NPR about a theory on the origins of religion (worth a listen if interested). Basic premise was as the tribes grew larger than it was incapable to recognize people as good/bad then the stories began to define the good communal and are lessons for morals. J. Peterson also has a interesting theory based on the hierarchy of natural selection to define a warrior/leader figure in which the stories are premised and then handed down.

6. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

7. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Neato, so we release bold new graphics just like Honda but no one calls them progressive or smarter. :beer:

8. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I'm confident any wiping out of tribes was most masterfully accomplished by white christian invaders from Europe.

stk0308 likes this.
  9. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

The thing is, you and they live in a society created by Christianity.
    You can't escape its influence on your social mores.
    The history of Christianity is the history of Western Civilization.

10. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

The book of Matthew is the answer that you are probably looking for, but the fact is that the same concept is a part of just about every religious dogma that exists.

11. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

Personally, I'd say it's not a problem. Not having a religion doesn't make you're a troublemaker, morals and values don't come from religion.

12. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

You need to go read the history as a lot of tribes in the west were wiped out by other natives. Hell, the anasazi basically wiped out themselves. But for the most, their immunity to infectious diseases took the most heavy toll on the native population. Disease reduced the native population by 2/3 by 1790's which is before the westward expansion.

XFBO likes this.
  13. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Pish posh!

We were liberators, you filthy savage! :D

Steeltoe and stk0308 like this.
  14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Assisted by the Buffalo Soldiers.

15. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

D'oil was in the army?

16. R Acree

R Acree Banned

No, he had bonespurs.

17. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

All I can picture is Chevy Chase limping and saying "homo"...

18. R Acree

R Acree Banned

NTTIAWWT

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I thought he was blaming black folks.

20. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

You are not giving enough credit to brown Christian invaders from Europe.