1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do You Have the Right to Flip Off a Cop?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by stickman, Sep 16, 2009.

1. stickman

stickman crash free since 5/6/07

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20090916/us_time/08599192312500

I've often wondered about this. I'm sure we've all thought about it at times.

Also, this kind of amused me, "Officers clearly have varying levels of tolerance for rudeness from the people they encounter, he says, but he expressed little sympathy for anyone making rude remarks to or gestures toward officers. "Police officers have better things to do than give people citations..."

Really, since when?

2. MrWheeler

MrWheeler Well-Known Member

Well, here if you abuse someone in an obviously offensive manner it is a defense if you were significantly provoked. Some people hate tickets :D

3. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

Are you flipping off cops again Stick?

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

You have a right to do a lot of things that are not advisable.

5. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

The cop in the unmarked car I flipped off for failing to dip his headlights didn't think I had the right to flip him off for it.

Neither did his buddies who boxed me in, hauled me out of the car and down to jail for the night.

The local judge agreed with him.

Of course, that was a while back...

6. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I also don't adivise not to laugh at an officer when it becomes clear he has nothing on you no matter how hard he tries to, specially when using intimidation or scare tactics!:D

7. Czolgosz

Czolgosz Banned

+1

I side w/ the ACLU in this particular instance.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  8. stickman

stickman crash free since 5/6/07

Not as far as they know.

I'm just very anti-police right now. I got a ticket LAST summer on my bike in the middle of Kansas, 76 in a 65. I was in the middle of nothing but wheat fields, no cars around, nothing.

Last week I get our new insurance policy renewal and they jacked up my rates by $1000 year. This was a 4 point ticket. I didn't realize that at the time, didn't even think NJ ever found out about it. The cop was a young douche bag and thought he was super cool. I've been driving for 30 years and never had an accident or filed a claim for anything. One freakin ticket and it's going to cost me $3000 over the course of three years when this ticket will be erased from my insurance record.

Yeah, ok, maybe I shouldn't have been speeding. This was a trip out west on desolate roads where the avg speed limits I encountered was 75. But for some reason in Kansas it's 65, the whole state is a speed trap. I guess I should be pissed at the insurance company, which I am, but the cop could have cut me a break and at least made it a 2 point ticket. I don't think I should be punished to the tune of $3000 for driving 11 mph over the limit in the middle of nowhere.

9. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

There was a case recently dismissed in Knoxville regarding a person that was arrested for flipping off an officer. The judge said it was a violation of the persons freedom of speech and there was no law preventing people from making rude gestures to police officers.

I've seen Knox County Deputies get MUCH harder treatment than being flipped off and they just laughed it off. Our guys are fairly good at dealing with verbal abuse... though they react harshly if it becomes physical or a safety issue.

10. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

I will respect the uniform even if the person in it is not worthy. Once we are engaged verbally I will spar.. but there is nothing to be gained IMO by flipping off a LEO.

11. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

FTP!

12. vosnick52

vosnick52 Well-Known Member

I agree with you Monte, most officers should be respected but the few that are assholes ruin it for the good ones.

Just like people riding motorcycles :D

13. H8R

H8R Bansgivings in process

" I don't hate cops, I just feel better when they aren't around."

-Charles Bukowski

14. bardo

bardo Well-Known Member

people cops ARE the governments homeland foot soldiers, you should always respect them. they're there for you and your protection. come on guys get with the program! when you disrespect a police officer you disrespect america.

15. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Sure you do. You also have the right to wake up in a dumpster with truncheon marks and no teeth.

16. RockRocks

RockRocks head goober

2 words. FUCK KANSAS.

17. Slider82

Slider82 Well-Known Member

18. kubricky

kubricky Well-Known Member

Anyone that knows me will think this statement out of character for me...WTF? What ideal was our nation built on in the first place???

19. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Judging the current admin's actions: "Take it from those who work and save and give it to those who do not?"

20. H8R

H8R Bansgivings in process

Flipping off the British.