1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Divorce help - God Damn Epidemic

Discussion in 'General' started by zx6rfool, Sep 14, 2018.

1. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Whoever laid that floor needs a beating

2. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

As if you're looking at the floor @beac83

3. beac83

That guy wasn't my type.

That horrible floor job got a lot more of my attention. Even the vacuum cleaner got more attention. :D

4. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

It’s the divorce thread.
    :Poke:

I was confused of that was a vacuum cleaner.

Razr likes this.
  5. beac83

Vacuum cleaners as gifts can certainly lead to divorce. See the vid in the video thread.

6. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

I like this. My first marriage (16 together 8 married) we got together in college and were really good at being individuals in a couple - people envied it and told us so. But by failing to prioritize that "third" person as you say, we just made two really awesome people ready for their next partners. I'm glad she had the balls to do something about it rather than just accept it as I had been doing.

In general catching up the past 15 pages...I really feel for all the people having/had contentious divorces and doubly so for every kid involved.

beac83 and R Acree like this.
  7. ton

ton Arf!

i just want to make sure i'm not misinterpreting...

1) you didn't notice $40k slowly disappearing in regular increments from a joint account over the course of 2+ years?
    2) you didn't know where the money to pay mortgage on a joint asset (her empty house) was coming from?

8. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

That's interesting, because I've always had the belief (and this is just my opinion, don't take it personal) that couples who have separate accounts aren't in a true relationship. Like I said, just a weird belief I have.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Eh, no different than having separate closets or the like.

rd400racer and R Acree like this.
  10. rd400racer

I just find it odd. It makes it seem like they're trying to sneak something by.

11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

You are entitled to your weird beliefs. When the blonde woman and I got married, we agreed to set up our finances, both for expenses and savings, based on percentage of our total income. I made roughly double what she did so I paid in twice as much. We had to agree on expenditures from the joint money, but each of us had our own small amount to use for what we wanted. It was part of the 2 becoming 3 thing. We could each buy stuff we wanted or needed (if you want it, you must need it) of gifts for the other without disclosing the cost.

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

You still each have your own clothes if you share a closet. Well, I hope…

cav115 likes this.
  13. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

You guys get a closet?

HPPT likes this.
  14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Damn you. Where is the mind bleach.

cav115 likes this.
  15. R Acree

R Acree Banned

The stepped out for a bit.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sure you do, they're however not totally interspersed with each other.

Try this one - different accounts in the same bank is like different shelves/rails in one closet :D

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, in one of the spare bedrooms. But only one. She has the walk in, the other spare bedroom and under the stairs. I did make myself a rack to hang coats and riding gear on in the basement, she shares that one too :crackup:

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

That still doesn't work as an analogy. If the balance in your account to zero, money isn't suddenly going to appear in there from hers. However, try leaving a shelf empty for a couple of weeks and see what happens. :D

Boman Forklift likes this.
  19. rd400racer

Oh there's definitely a downside to my joint account life. We've gone the spectrum of me making twice as much as her and vice versus, so that's never been an issue. My problem is that I'm a spender and she's a miser (every marriage needs one:D). Between all of my hobbies I could spend thousands a month. Just last month I wanted to buy a motorcycle (well, another one). I keep a little kitty of cash hidden away from when I sell parts etc. The one rule we have is that if I sell bike stuff, it goes towards other bike stuff. I'm $1000 short of what this bike cost, plus I'm going to sell another bike which will net us $2K over what I'm getting this bike for, so what's the big deal.

Well you would have thought I was asking to make the Louisiana Purchase. "Oh my god, do you really need to spend $1000!" Keep in mind we have no house or car payments and she was just given a big 6 figure severance package from work. It gets old but if I was left to my druthers, I probably wouldn't have a pot to piss in. But I'd have lots of cool toys:D

Boman Forklift likes this.
  20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm good, I only have the shelves she can't reach so they'd stay empty :crackup: