1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dirt bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Wheel Bearing, Oct 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

wow... never knew Evans was flammable... knew it required the radiator cap to be non pressurized and the existing cooling system needed some kind of rinse process before adding...

MELK-MAN likes this.
  2. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

I just went up to 2.0 bar, not ludicrous pressure. definitely helps the jap bikes to go to 1.8 or 2.0. Ski

MELK-MAN likes this.
  3. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

Sadly I must report that my love affair with the Beta is on hold. I entered my first hare scramble with it several weeks ago and it let me down.
    First, on the starting grid, it decided not to start (not even a click) when the green flag dropped. Ended up bump starting it (it doesn't have the optional kickstarter) and starting the race a few minutes late.
    Second, the electrical system has been all over the place. The computer intermittently flashes all sorts of things and the map switch mostly doesn't work, but does decide to intermittently work. In that first race, it started pouring part way through and I found the wet map to be very helpful as without it, I was having a hard time with traction on the slick wet clay. Unfortunately, it came and went which made the ride challenging.
    Did a second race where I ignored the electrical issues and didn't try to use the map switch (it was dry). That was a fun ride.
    Finally, on race 3, the shifting just went to crap and the shifter developed a large amount of freeplay and both upshifting and getting it into first became problematic. With the 200, you are shifting a lot on the tight singletrack. I packed it in after a lap and a half.

The bike is now at the dealer where hopefully everything will be covered by the factory warranty as it has less than 30 hours and 4 months of riding on it. The previous year Betas had recalls on the wiring but the '21s so far don't. I've had several people tell me, including the dealer, that the wiring on these things is crap.

I'm hopeful I'll be able to pick the bike up next weekend and everything will be golden, but I'm already scouting out my next bike if that isn't the case.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  4. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Bought this for the boy...

2020 Cobra FWE

16347807267942.jpg 16347807465603.jpg

MachineR1, Senna, cpettit and 3 others like this.
  5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

When we were riding in June one of the guys in the group had a 2018 Beta X Trainer??? He said he's had a few issues... to the point where he keeps a spare bike in his trailer. (an 06 Honda 450)

jksoft likes this.
  6. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Quick question about suspension.......swapped out the stock WP XPlor 48 springs for some Race Tech fat boy specials, and the Race Tech were ~1/2" shorter than the OEM springs. Was I correct in throwing a PVC and metal spacer in there to get them to be roughly the same height or should I have done some stupid preload measuring?

I guess the fact that I'm even asking this question probably indicates that it doesn't much matter what I did so long as the forks don't explode while I'd riding them (at an extremely slow pace).

7. bitorius

bitorius Active Member

Is the rate different? You may want to measure your sag and then set the spacer accordingly, unless you have a preload cap.

8. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

I've been playing around with giving MX a go the past few weeks. I’m in CO and with the milder winters, it seems like dirt riding would open up a lot more riding opportunities.

I have a little bit of what would best be considered trail experience - probably 10-15 rides total from last year. I know the learning curve is pretty steep for MX and, at 31, getting hurt is a concern.

There’s a local off road park that has a milder track with mostly table tops and more features - it’s meant to simulate off road riding more than MX. Would it be smart to pick up a KLX230 or something similarly mellow and get my feet wet for a season out there before jumping to MX? Or would it be better to go straight to an MX bike and track and get some one-on-one coaching?

9. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

Can't answer any of your MX questions as I have stayed away from it, but just wondering if you've considered cross country (hare scrambles) as a way to open up more off season riding opportunities? Not sure about where you are in CO, but here there are at least 10 different series within a couple hour drive that run various hare scramble events throughout the year. There is a race or two pretty much every weekend if you want.

10. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

The trail/hare scramble type stuff just doesn’t interest me at all. Not really sure why.

jksoft likes this.
  11. diggy

diggy Well-Known Member

If you are contemplating going MX, I'd pass on a KLX230. That bike is just too limited and you'd outgrow it on a track FAST. FWIW, one of my daughters has a '16 KTM150SX and the other has a 2020 CRF250F (basically same as KLX230). Anyway, the CRF250F is fun to ride, but not on an MX track.

IMO, get a 250 four stroke or a 125/150 smoker and call it good.

DmanSlam, Senna and cpettit like this.
  12. tsflstb

tsflstb Well-Known Member

This is exactly where i was at last year. Start with the smaller trail bike. I was given a 93 XR200 and started riding in the woods. That was just an exercise in survival for me, no idea how guys race at speed with 2 inches of clearance between trees.

Went to MX track and never looked back. Most of them have a milder option. I dominate the kids track on the XR until kindergarten lets out and the fast guys show up.

I beat the hell out of the Honda, full throttle, casing jumps, and it just takes it. Recently bought a YZ426 project but will keep the little bike since its so easy to ride and much easier to kick start.

MachineR1, bitorius and Senna like this.
  13. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

So did you ever get this sorted out? My brother just bought a 19 X trainer with a shitload of aftermarket goodies including a full suspension job. He reads forums and tech stuff for days so I’m sure he’s read about any common issues they have but I’m interested to hear what’s the verdict on yours. Here’s his….

FDCA4CC5-67D9-4DA8-92C5-2C4BF0C342F6.jpeg

14. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

Just picked it up from the dealer last night. He says it is all good to go but I haven't had a chance to ride it yet. It was in the dealer twice. The first time they replaced battery and the computer. The computer did work fine after that. This past time they replaced the map switch (there was a delay getting it which is why they didn't do that the first time). It was all taken care of under warranty. I have been impressed with the dealer, Race Ready Cycles in Dover, OH. The last few races of the year, I still had some map issues but I learned to work through them. The first time it happened, it really threw me off because one minute I'd be on the dry map, then I'd be on the wet map and traction was already any issue. I moved the forks up in the triples as well which really helped the turning ability and I really enjoyed the last few races of the year. I had the Nitromousse removed as I a) wanted the ability to change my own tires and b) have the ability to adjust tire pressure for conditions.

We'll be making a trip down to SC next month for the Big Buck GNCC race.

15. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

The MX stuff intrigues me but scares me. I've ridden a few MX tracks and lightly hit some of the jumps. I can see the appeal and if I were younger I'd probably be all over it. Some of those jumps just have such a commitment level that I am not sure I am ready for. There is an indoor MX track in Cleveland that I have considered doing with some 1:1 instruction. After watching some of the videos, I'm having second thoughts as there are support columns very close to the track. Maybe they aren't as close as they appear in the videos but it gives me pause.

16. tsflstb

tsflstb Well-Known Member

I still roll half the jumps on the big tracks, having a small bike gives you a built in excuse. Its good to remember before you send it whether theres a table top or a 20' drop on the other side.

I usually go early and stay out of the fast guys way. Theres a third dimension to MX traffic to try to avoid being hit from above.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
    MachineR1 and DmanSlam like this.
  17. tdelegram

tdelegram Well-Known Member

If you were planning on riding a road course would you show up on a Harley? Dirt bikes like street bikes have specific applications, a trail bike is shit for mx and the reverse is true also. Figure out what the majority of your riding will be and shoot for a bike that fits that type. The best do all bike imho are the ktm xc line. They can handle light duty novice mx as well as trails, they are a compromise but workable.

Senna likes this.
  18. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t suggest trying to race mx on a trail bike. Too slow, not enough suspension to handle the jumps, and you’ll be wfo and dominating the bike everywhere. You’ll have to unlearn a lot if you graduate on to a real mx bike. Start with a race bike, 125/150/250, 2 or 4 stroke, It’ll teach you useable riding techniques.

MELK-MAN, skidooboy and tdelegram like this.
  19. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

Then dont buy a trail bike.

If you do want a trail and mx compatible bike, look at the xcf ktms, the fx from yamaha, xc from kawi, etc... can pull dual duty. I personally ride, race a 17 ktm xcf250. It suits me very well. It makes the same amount of hp at the wheel, as my 06 yz450f. mine works well at both, mx and enduro, harescramble applications.

modern smaller displacement bikes, have come a long way. modern 450's in the woods, are a handful, and way too much bike, for the job. 350 seems the best of both worlds, 250f weight, 450f horsepower. but then... you are getting into the "do I have too much bike" scenario. Whiskey throttle a modern 350 or 450, and you may land in the hospital. (no jumping pun intended;) ) Other than an intermittent starting issue, my 250f has been flawless. Ski

DmanSlam and MELK-MAN like this.
  20. bitorius

bitorius Active Member

I have a CRF250R - it's my MX bike. However, my KTM 300 XC-W will do it all, except fast MX or big hits. Power is manageable, and excellent in the woods. I do jump this as well, but you have to be clean. If you wanna do more, Dal Saggio or Cone Valve and it'll jump for-realsies.

DmanSlam likes this.