1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dirt bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Wheel Bearing, Oct 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

You and 99.9999% of the population. LOL

Boman Forklift and Sabre699 like this.
  2. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

I don’t run tubliss anymore. I only run foams. Yes they are expensive but if you relube them often and cut and pack with old ones you can get some decent life.

I could see going melka’s route and practicing on tubliss though. I also think they have the best feel over a foam, even though I don’t mind that dead feel.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  3. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Any chance you can sneak one of those out the back door for me? You know, for research purposes:)

4. Knotcher

One other thing about foams, yes there is an application chart for nitromousse and other brands. But it doesn’t mean it will fit or feel like you want. Maybe you like a few holes in a bigger foam in an IRC gekkota vs a spec size goldentyre foam in a goldentyre 232. You kinda want to find your different jams for different jams and stick with it.

5. RNYC

RNYC Well-Known Member

It’s great - and also there are limited places to ride... darkwater tracts has single track everywhere. Whole place is a free for all, rare in the Northeast. Worth riding. Look for the ribbons on trees, they mark out trails for enduros and hare scrambles. Watch out for morons on atvs and side by sides on the haul roads.

And it’s PA, so prepare for rocks, coal dust, and more rocks.

Fun stuff.

6. grasshopper

Got the 2003 YZ250 woods bike project 99% done last night. Been a lot of late nights burning the midnight oil to get to this point. Did a full engine rebuild, all new suspension, all new bearings, new tires. It should be ready for a maiden voyage rip Saturday. This fucking bike has been a lot of work to get to where I'm at with it.

upload_2021-4-14_10-11-25.png upload_2021-4-14_10-12-5.png upload_2021-4-14_10-11-42.png

Attached Files:

MachineR1, Sabre699, j cal and 5 others like this.
  7. yuengling910

yuengling910 Loose Cannon

Anyone here ride at Croom? I'm going to be in that area next weekend and may bring the dirt bikes along. Do I need to apply for a day pass ahead of time? I haven't been there in years but I seem to remember needing some documentation to ride there. Thanks!

8. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Took a stick to the neck a few weeks ago. There's a nice little hole in there that we were able to pick the cedar bits out of with a pair of needle nose...

16197899697600.jpg

cBJr likes this.
  9. grasshopper

Dude one of my worst nightmares riding in the woods is getting impaled by a tree branch in the neck or torso. Glad you're okay.

We have a couple folks driving up Saturday evening to hit a couple single track trail loops in southern Michigan. Our plan is to hit up the Horseshoe and Holton loops. If anyone is in the area let me know maybe we can meet up and ride.

https://midnr.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=1710727ba3ec4c64928110fdb4f7799d

https://www2.dnr.state.mi.us/public...aps-Trail/horseshoe_lake_motorcycle_trail.pdf

https://www2.dnr.state.mi.us/public...V/Maps-Trail/holton_loop_motorcycle_trail.pdf

10. sidepipe79

sidepipe79 Well-Known Member

I am dipping my foot into the supermoto world with my 2014 YZ450F. I have 17inch wheels and a bigger rotor on front with a caliper relocation bracket. My issue is that even with the bigger rotor, i am only engaging a small portion of it and I feel like I need more power. Is there a cost effective caliper upgrade out there? I am not ready to spend $1000s on this just yet.

11. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Look around for a used motomaster, or a relocation bracket and a sport bike caliper

12. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Thanks! I've actually been jousted off too. Only time I've ever been knocked out! Lol Rode the rest of both days too! 16197915534872.jpg 16197915534361.jpg

jksoft likes this.
  13. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Although you can probably get a Caliper and bracket new for $5-600

14. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

What pads are you running? Stock caliper on a 320mm rotor should have plenty of whoa, it's weak point will be fade on big tracks where you're clamping for longer periods. Hell, I ran a stock CRF450 caliper on a stock 250mm rotor on my 92 WR250ZD at Loudon and had plenty of stopping power. Where it came up short was my poor rotor at the end of the weekend, when I removed the second to last bolt holding it to the wheel it made a loud 'ping' and became a salad plate. New stock pads paired with a 12mm or 13mm master should get the job done on the cheap. You can try some super-nasty GoldFren road race compound pads, but they will likely overheat and crack if pushed hard.

15. sidepipe79

sidepipe79 Well-Known Member

Stock master and caliper along with some EBC pads.

16. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Which EBCs? Sintered, organic, 'carbon'? That setup should be able to put you over the bars if you hamfist the brake.

17. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

@grasshopper ...
    Toolboxes under the homemade bike bench?
    Brilliant!

grasshopper likes this.
  18. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

need to get the pass signed up on line, then you pick the sticker up at the gate house at entrance. i ride at croom 4x a week or more. single track trails throughout the 2600 acres. issue is without rain, it gets dusty, so riding with anyone is problematic..
    Here's the website link for buying passes. if gonna be there a few days, just get the annual pass as it's only $37 and is good through June 30. Day pass is $14 https://floridastateforests.reserve...BkfBS2YNI3HIChHMna8ZifJ0YwtU47SZnXYcJIVFO7Rho

yuengling910 likes this.
  19. Knotcher

3rd overall. 2021 Mexican 1000.

Rally is awesome and hard. It’s about a lot more than just the riding.

2BC2EAA4-4516-4533-B71B-03BD86D16606.jpeg

20. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Nice! Congratulations. The Big Red Pig rocks.

Cheers,

Dave

Knotcher likes this.