1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dirt bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Wheel Bearing, Oct 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

I built up a PW for my oldest last spring as a surprise and I couldn’t sleep the night before I gave it to him haha! About to get him a KTM 50 so the pdub can be moved down to my youngest. Watching them discover riding is the best thing ever.

Boman Forklift and cha0s#242 like this.
  2. Spooner

Mobius is great and I also really like the astars bionic 7 or 10 braces. Can’t go wrong with either. I had a limb that was sticking out from the trail that tried to skewer my knee last summer. It was deflected by the patella cup and blew out the hinge but all that happened to me was a badly bruised leg from the brace. I thought I broke my leg because it was such a big impact and it hurt like hell but I was racing an hour later! Had no issue plunking down the cash for another set once that happened.

cpettit likes this.
  3. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Those look awesome and the price isn’t too bad. Thankee.

cpettit likes this.
  4. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

I’m convinced that Mobius saved my knee after my leg was jammed between a tree and the bike in third gear. Only broke a fibula when my foot was twisted and pulled off the peg at speed. A maisonneuve fracture, which often means surgery with screws, since the break is usually oblique. Thanks to the knee brace acting as a fulcrum, the break was transverse to the length of the bone and only required a cast. Doc said she’d never seen such a clean maisonneuve break.

2940CB86-F2FF-4649-B2C1-EC919137B09E.jpeg

cpettit and Senna like this.
  5. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Looking at the X8’s myself but wondering how they are at preventing torsion-foot twist type knee injuries since they aren’t brace like such as the Leatt X frame hybrid

6. Spooner

Mobius is definitely a brace, they just have a more full coverage design than a 'frame' design like most braces. I wore them one season and the support they give is amazing and the fit by having the support behind the knee is very good. Personally I liked the fit a little more with the astars so I went back to them but thats more just the shape of my leg. I will say the customer service from mobius has been extremely good.

Wheel Bearing likes this.
  7. Resident Plarp

See my particular experience as noted above, particularly in regard to the maisonneuve fracture, which by definition, is a twisting type fracture of the lower leg. That twisting energy wasn’t isolated to the ankle, but went all the way up my leg and helped pull me off the bike. The joint itself didn’t suffer any ligament damage. By design, the X8 pulls the whole knee further into itself when exposed to twisting forces as the cable that’s wrapped around your leg can’t go anywhere but inward when the brace is twisted.

I’m particularly sensitive at the knees since I’ve had lots of work done there. The X8 helped avoid ligament damage on that last crash. The only other option I’d consider these days would be the Asterisk, which I have an older variant of, but the lace design was cumbersome, hence the move to X8 braces. The new Asterisk design is a lot nicer but still not as clean a closure mechanism as the X8.

Wheel Bearing likes this.
  8. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

I get the brace school of thought.

I personally go the pad route as I prefer the additional control available with full ROM.

9. Knotcher

New whip! (Same as old whip. 19 to 21.)

A1FEC5E1-477A-4CF5-A913-08E032A5D566.jpeg

BROsiah, Phl218, renegade17 and 4 others like this.
  10. Resident Plarp

I too, was of the same thought, but circumstance changed that. It took maybe five minutes of riding to get used to the bigger braces, but range of motion has never seemed to be an issue.

Shazam!
    D5D44AE4-36D6-4CED-9F3F-8CE205CD5037.jpeg

Phl218 and Wheel Bearing like this.
  11. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

500 back from the dyno, motor is healthy, so pressing on with prepping it for road racing. Part of that prep, converting to a latching kill switch, went out and picked up KTM PN 79711074000, used on 2019 and up EXC-Fs. Looks good, plugs directly in place of the start switch, all good there. There is also a set of bullet end wires, not long enough to reach the kill switch connector, and putting a meter to those they're wired to each other and ignore what you do with the switch... Further probing shows these ARE switched to a pin in the four pin connector. The start switch four pin connector can't actually kill the bike so modification is required. Of course, KTM doesn't put wiring diagrams in owners manuals anymore so I can't reverse how it was wired in on the factory bikes. It 'feel's like the intention is the bullet connectors provide 12v hot to something(s) behind the headlight, and one of those paths may work a relay or power the ECU directly, thus cutting it kills the bike? I'm going to take the switch apart and see if I can't modify to do what I want.

12. Knotcher

Map switch?

13. RNYC

RNYC Well-Known Member

It’s where I mostly ride. Whatcha need?

14. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

What’s the best deal on spare KTM wheels?
    Need to buy a set or two. Can get good Talon hub/Excell rim through WPS or Pro-Wheel but can buy The Tusk wheels a good bit cheaper. What says the Beeb?

15. tdelegram

tdelegram Well-Known Member

I have the warp 9 and love em, had to replace bearings at 55 hours and was able to get them on Amazon for $12 a piece.

16. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

I got a set from Colin over at Faster.
    His hub with Excel rims.

Has double bearing on drive side.

https://www.fasterusa.com/

17. Spooner

Tusk is the cheapest but they are pretty damn heavy and nothing special in the durability end. I've run the Moose Racing wheels which you need to build but you choose the color of hubs, rims, and nipples. Spokes are stainless, hubs are forged and use oversized bearings. I ran a set for 2 seasons and never touched them. I also ran a set on stock hubs (I cracked an OEM rim) for 4 seasons again with zero issues. They are like $800 or so retail for everything but its a bulletproof setup in my experience.

18. Me too, well I need another rear as I have a couple spare fronts.

19. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Man, I've been a huge fanboy of the TuBliss system for as long as I remember. After my 3rd pinch flat in as many rides, I said screw it, and ordered a Mousse for the front. I know the Starcross fronts have really flexible sidewalls (the reason I love them) but they'll be next to go if the Mousse isn't the answer.

20. What about wheels for slow people who don’t beat the crap out of wheels? :)