1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dirt bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Wheel Bearing, Oct 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

E719DC11-D060-491D-BCC7-6E47D382E918.jpeg I just freshened up the look of my ‘15 KX250f. If I don’t have time to ride it, it might as well look pretty in the garage.

2. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

I am quite positive, also, that you are incapable of curing stupid.

I was considering a KTMvarna as a 4 stroke for days when I feel like an old man but since you say they will break I guess not.

3. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I'll put $1K into my '00 426 for suspension mods that'll suit the current riding terrain...someday. This bike is still a winner in my book. Not the best at everything, but I can't kill it...it's why I still ride it.

4. Mick6R

Mick6R Well-Known Member

Similar story with my '03 KDX. I keep looking at Husky/KTM 250's, even YZ250X, but the old Kaw works fine for the riding I do.

Kwr.jpg

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    tropicoz likes this.
  5. Used2Bfast 2

Used2Bfast 2 Still in the saddle

6. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Nice KDX, what forks are those?

7. Mick6R

Mick6R Well-Known Member

Thanks. Grabbed a set of '03 KX125 forks and triple off eBay. The conversion was my winter project back in 2011. I need to get the rear shock rebuilt sometime soon though.

8. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

new gen ktm/husky, near bullet proof. I likely ride more hours a month than anyone i know, or have even heard of (although i'm sure someone out there somewhere, rides more than the 30+- hrs a month I ride)..
    Riding "A" pace in age classes for national enduro and regional harescramble series, still finishing close and often within top 10% of 500-800 riders (40+ pro and AA racers).. i've put hundreds of hours on bikes. my 2014 350xcf has over 700 hrs now. 1 crank was installed at 400 hrs. pistons go almost 300hrs and look great when replaced (OEM ONLY). My 2016 350xcf has over 300 hrs, piston was installed at 240 hrs, looks new (i have photos of all this stuff btw). valves have NEVER been adjusted on the 2016. The 2014 went almost 600 hours without valves needing adjusting, i actually wore the valve guides out and that's what ruined the valves.
    the OEM valves are very expensive, but are very very good. as it seems are nearly all the components. there were some issues with some individual models over the years, but any modern ktm/husky is f-in amazing. I will never go back to a Japanese bike. at least they FINALLY are coming out with e-starts now..

9. Used2Bfast 2

10. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

^Wow, I can't ever imagine trying to join you and your crew for ride, you guys kick ass!

MELK....Have you ridden the latest 2T's? Thoughts?

I grew up hating them, but that was mostly due to the mx style bikes. These 2T woods bikes are incredible. I just got my first, older model 300 XCW and love this bike.....imho, has even better low end than my old 450exc had.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  11. MELK-MAN

no more 2 strokes for me.. just not my thing. like you, grew up on em, just not my thing. woods or otherwise. without a doubt, they are super popular. Riders love 2 strokes, or love 4 strokes. i know a hand full of guys with both, but most go one or the other. One theory was the costs of ownership of 2 strokes is lower. i am here to tell you, it's likely cheaper to own/run a modern ktm/husky 4 stroke than 2 stroke. Most can put hundreds of hours on a 4 stroke with no issues. the 2 strokes are still roller bearing cranks, and need pistons 3x as often or more than 4 strokes .. (typical recreational rider/racer, pro riders not included in this analysis).
    but to be clear, the modern bikes are outstanding. 2 or 4 stroke. as you found, just amazing how much better all the bikes are vs bikes we grew up on.

XFBO likes this.
  12. Used2Bfast 2

13. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

14. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

I'm admittedly not well versed on anything dirty bike, but based on what seems like simple math to me you're saying you're replacing pistons in your bikes basically every year?! I guess my thinking was that if it's a four stroke it'll basically go forever, I never knew they were so maintenance intensive.

15. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

16. Knotcher

You missed the sarcasm I think.

In any case, I went with a Sherco 300 SEF Factory

XFBO likes this.
  17. MELK-MAN

do you ride 30 hours a month like i do ? (running time, on a meter)... if so, yea, shit is gonna get a little maint. intensive. but i have 4 bikes currently, about to pick up another new 250xcf..
    if you are like 95% of riders, and are lucky to get out once a weekend, and don't ride for 2 months in the winter... a MODERN ktm/husky could last you 10 years. maintenance free aside from basic stuff.

18. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

No sir, don't even have a dirty bike...yet, I guess when you put it that way it sounds more reasonable

19. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

WTF???? Where are the pics???? :Poke:

20. Knotcher

Soon.