1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dirt bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Wheel Bearing, Oct 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Yeah, me. Pretty sure I live about three minutes from you (you're in Holland, right?) - I'm basically at the NAC.

Your bike got a plate on it? If so, the Pine Barrens are the best free bet for trail riding.

ZimZam likes this.
  2. @gt#179 I think I'm sold on this:

https://taskracing.com/product/baja-extreme-24hr-racerpack/

I watched a few videos and its pretty much exactly what I need. Worst case I'll pick up one of there light bars down the road, but 9600 lumens out of 2 lights is pretty damn ridiculous. I'll grab 1 amber lens as well since I ride pretty high dust trails. I watched the videos on their website and I was sold. Ill buy that this week, they have 15% off for the week so the whole setup is only $305 before shipping.

Now I just need to find an LED tail light strip. I assume it's DC on that side but I will verify this week before I order anything.

Can't wait for night rides in the mountains. :clap:

gt#179 likes this.
  3. terminus est

terminus est Be prepared

Having a light on the bike is useful too. Peripheral vision and stuff. Maybe a confidence thing, but on tight single track in the woods at night I'll take all the light I can get. Especially because shadows, light coming from different angles (helmet and bike) eliminates some of the shadows.

4. For sure. I think that this is the first step in the right direction and will be adequate/safe for what I’m trying to do. I’m sure I’m going to want more light at some point but I also don’t want to be *that* guy looking like some UFO blasting down the trails either which is totally unnecessary. One of the guys this past weekend has a ridiculous FJ cruisier with every damn bit of suspension, bumper and skid plates you could possibly buy plus all the other shit they do but it has over $3000 worth of Baja designs lights all over the thing and looks like the mother ship going down the trails. I know it won’t be that ridiculous but I like minimal/functional for the most part.

5. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

thats one of my fondest memories from riding 6 volt trailbikes as a kid. nightriding and overcoming the fear of if its just a bump or a cliff straight ahead and not slowing down for it no matter what then figure it out on the other side!

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

XFBO likes this.
  7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

There is no DC output on the bike at all? That seems odd.

8. There has to be a DC circuit on it for the starting system since it’s electric start only. I just haven’t had a chance to get my multimeter out and check. It’s hard when the bike lives in my living room and my tools are in my storage unit/rubber maid totes. Haha

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

There's a battery right? And a fuse box? Not sure why you'd tap into the AC end of things.

10. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

Yes I’m in Holland. Right by the watershed reservoir.

No it doesn’t have a plate on it straight my bike.

11. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

I didn't see if OP is racing but no way in hell I'd compete with a cheap bar or fog that will likely break at the wrong time. Cyclops makes a nice light bar with good optics.

I've run the BD Squadron pro as a pair on an XR 650R (no stock DC) with dual task helmet lights and the cyclops with those lights. The task lights are also affordable and very bright. The upside of being battery powered and helmet mounted is they go with you on any bike. As long as you aren't running for long periods continually they are great. You can do 7 hours or so with extra packs for each.

12. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

When racing or even riding at night on a dirtbike I've never thought "this is definitely too much light."

13. I’m not racing at the moment. I’m just now getting back on a bike after about 1.5 years. So this fall and winter are just strictly about enjoying the road to no where. Next year I may do hard scrambles again but I would really like to ride one season without getting hurt. :crackup:

14. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Pussy. I took a couple of years off, bought a new bike, and lined that bitch up with .25 hours on it! :Poke:

15. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

sometimes they dont come with an off switch. thats the 1st mod on every bike I get that way. you know, for stealth purposes. lol

16. Hey. I resemble that remark. Honestly I was going to try and go do some desert race this winter and then I rode for the first time. I was embarrassed at how badly I was riding. My shoulder needs a reconstruction and my vagina was acting like a sail in the wind.

I give it a month, two max before I end up registering for a race. :crackup:

17. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

if anyone is in the SE or around GA, Highland Park does a very fun hare scramble the last Sunday in October (28th). Zombie race, complete with zombies in the woods and feel free to dress up for the race. Best costume racing wins a prize I think.

the course isn't too hard, most of the time there's not many really fast people there (so you don't get lapped too many times) and just a fun day in the woods. I haven't raced one in a few years but will more than likely race this one. If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll get more details or at least see you there.

FYI my only "dirt bike" is my 950, so i'll be racing that. Maybe in the ADV class (650+cc street legal bikes) or maybe just 50+C class for the fun of it. Come on out. if any of you have been around road racing for a while the owner of Highland Park/KTM World is Paul Wright formerly of Marietta Motorsports fame. He'll be there and usually does the course layouts.

Used2Bfast 2 likes this.
  18. Used2Bfast 2

Used2Bfast 2 Still in the saddle

Yesterday
    4BCBDE94-6D10-4C1E-946C-C7D4FB602D69.jpeg

gt#179 and awalk9905 like this.
  19. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Got some friends trying to talk me into a 450FX...was really only looking at the 250FX because my dirt riding skills are barely above potato status. They say you can tune them and use different throttle reels to make the 450 super manageable. Only ever rode a 450 MX bike, was similar experience to riding a turbo busa. What do you guys think? Is the 450FX that much better and manageable? Have a friend trying to sell me his '18 with 30 hours on it, Rekluse equipped. I sold my 300 because quite honestly, I wasn't fast enough to properly utilize it. I have a CRF230, that's too far in the other direction. I blow through the suspension and need way more out of it in regards to the power department, which has me looking at the 250 4 stroke.

20. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

They have a full potato map or 2 available i believe, i would think you could probably start in the middle and work your way up as needed. The maps make a pretty big difference from my experience.