1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dirt bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Wheel Bearing, Oct 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Where you gonna ride that new dirt scoot of yours???

2. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Thinking about goin down to redbird soon. Its a hual but if you roll our at 5:30 or so its not too terrible. Where do you usually go?

3. eggfooyoung

Have quite a few miles at Redbird. Been to S Tree a few times. Eagle Creek in Owenton is good. Has a decent loop and a few hills. Bikes/quads only. Good place to log miles. Got invited to Saddleback a few times last year. Gnarly, long, steep hills. Bikes only. Aside from that, races with OXCR. Though, there haven't been any of those for me in the last year. But I swear I'm going to the first one next Saturday...

4. cpettit

Where do you guys camp up there? We are trying to figure out where we should stay and lodging in the summer seems scarce and expensive.

5. gpz11

gpz11 Well-Known Member

Picked this one up a couple weeks ago. Just need to give it a once over and fix everything the PO didn't.

[​IMG]

6. eggfooyoung

Any of you guys riding KTM or Husky have the AER forks? If so, what's your opinion of them? I'll be riding all XC, and zero MX.

Thanks

7. JAB

JAB Well-Known Member

Best stock forks I`ve ridden, early models need the seal replaced with the updated version or cold weather will cause problems.....Mine are on a 17 FX350

8. eggfooyoung

Yeah, reading mixed reviews on them, mostly by MX guys. Headed out to pick up an 18 TX300, and that's what it comes with. Still gonna have to order some fat boy springs for it...

tropicoz likes this.
  9. JAB

JAB Well-Known Member

I ride all off road, no mx.....stock they are a huge improvement over the 4cs.....I still sent mine to Kreft & had the " Revalve Control" installed & still kept the air spring. Forks now able to be adjusted for pretty much any riding conditions.

10. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Experimenting with air pressure is critical if you want them to work right for your needs. Stick to the guidelines a written in the manual to start with and go up/down from there. Compared to the old WR front end, they’re really, really good.

11. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

so far so good.. (2018 250xcf) . as JAb said, many are saying they are the best they have ridden. (but the 4cs forks if left stock, were horrible.. lol!) also as he said, The 2017 versions need an updated seal that was in all the 2018 models as it has high likelihood of failing, cold weather failure is worse for failure potential, but i know a lot of guys down here in FL that went spring conversion after a couple failures. Had they waited, they may have seen the benefits of the air forks.

FOUR POUNDS lighter than the 4cs forks that were sold on ktm/husky for about 3 years. That is really tough to buy, with any amount of money. . you notice this right away. the fork feels much different than spring forks though, in that they don't progressively get firmer. My guy told me they start of feeling like a .5o spring (I ride .44-.45 on my bikes) then level off mid stroke, then ramp up too fast as the go further as it gets further in stroke. A spring is a spring and will feel the softest when fully extended, getting progressively firmer through the stroke. benefit of the air is you can let air out and ride some woods with a much softer overall feel, then take to mx track and add air to firm it up.

i personally wanted better than the stock air fork for my offroad racing. (i do basically zero mx). For me, i found after riding a bunch of friends bikes, and helping them set em up, i found to get the good feel for tight rooty stuff, I had to run 115-120psi.. but then it would bottom HARD when you hit roots at higher speed. I ended up with the www.kreftmoto.com "Revalve control" that he does for not just AER forks but also for the Explore forks that come on some husky and the "W" model ktms. It allows big changes to the mid valve with an adjuster that is at the bottom of one fork leg. You then have rebound (on bottom in middle of that RC control knob) and low-speed comp at the top. It basically allow you to "revalve' the fork for Mx, to tight slow nasty single track. It's about $975 for the fork, and for my setup, I leave the air psi at 130-132psi (shocking how much diff there is in just a couple psi change and the amount of travel used regularly).

here's the description http://www.kreftmoto.com/aer48-revalve-control/
    Kreft did my 4cs stuff, and i swear for the $1000 i spent on those, it rivals the $3000+ cone valve forks. I've had a lot of success on my 2016 350xcf with those forks. These AER forks have mega potential this season..

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  12. Resident Plarp

Worth it? I’ve considered sending mine off for that particular kit.

13. MELK-MAN

AH, somehow i missed you sent your's to Kreft as well.
    I've got about 8 hrs on my RC air forks. had to back the revalve control way off and back rebound off, but then ADD clicks of low speed comp on top to get it to comply on the fast, nasty roots. For the whoopy sandy trail we have in FL ? the base stock settings he had were awesome, and with one root or one hit? good. But at race pace (i put them on my 350 xcf for a harescramble last weekend) i got beat up a bit on the fast chop from the quads that race the day before, and with tons of roots in a row, especially under braking. but he has been guiding me, and they are really really close, and can't wait to race em in the NEPG series this year. I have a hard time not taking my 250xcf every time i ride now (4-5 days a week, and i have 4 bikes.. lol) Adam is the wp suspension GURU, of gurus, no doubt.

14. MELK-MAN

not speaking for JAB, but my 2c, Kreft moto is the only guy that you should consider sending wp dirt suspension too. it's ALL the guy works on. no kyb, no showa, no ohlins, nothing else. He doesn't build motors, he doesn't sell tires and fix bikes, ALL he does, and he's busy as hell, is service, and make better, wp dirt suspension. And he's got a few people working for him too. I'm a pretty good customer, literally spent $4000+ over the last 3 bike i've had him do, and it was STILL 1.5 weeks to get to my stuff. Worth it to have that guy do your Wp stuff? Absolutely.. like i feel it's way way worth it to have Thermosman work on my roadrace stuff.
    I posted a link to the revalve control info in the post above. worth a look . here too http://www.kreftmoto.com/aer48-revalve-control/
    I wasted a ton of money with guys that "knew how to sort the 4cs" back in 2014. the forks were dare i say, worse than when i sent them out.. when i had him do my stuff it was amazing.

15. eggfooyoung

Well it happened...

15231428267001.jpg

Rode it through the hood, and this thing is stupid fast. Already ordered all of the bolt on bits. Racing in a week!

16. cpettit

Hell yeah!

17. Resident Plarp

Oooooo, shiny! Can’t wait to see some vids
    of that thing rolling around the streets of Cleveland with the boys!

Knotcher likes this.
  18. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Glad to hear you are racing it.

19. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

NICE!

Ski

20. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes