1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dirt Bike opinions?

Discussion in 'General' started by Andy Bankston, Jan 27, 2007.

1. Andy Bankston

Andy Bankston DON'T YOU KNOW WHO I AM?

OK, So I've been wanting to get a dirt bike for a little while now. I've taken my 3-wheeler to Durhamtown and had a blast, but think a dirt bike might be more fun, and help with the roadracing too. What about an '04 XR 250R? (I'm sorta on the "big guy" side... 6 ft, 240 lbs. This seems to be a good bike from what I've ready. Any opinions?

2. B.Curvin

B.Curvin Well-Known Member

XR400 GREAT Bike, almost zero maintenance, still need to stiffen the suspension though.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

My vote - get something with an electric start!

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

XR400 would be a great choice. With the XR250 you might get bored pretty quick.

5. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

I would recomend the CRF250X or 450 over a XR, You get a much better bike all around the power is similar untill you turn it over 7500 then it makes the xr look like the dog it is. To be honest with your size even a CRF250/450 would be a better choice than a XR.JMO

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

But the XR is as reliable as a hammer and needs about as maintance as a 6 pack of budweiser. The CRF, well you can't say the same.

It depends on what he wants in a dirty bike.

7. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Don't kid yourself into buying a slow bike what you really need is one of these ! it is one fast mofo :D
    [​IMG][/IMG]

8. turner38

The only real problems the Crf's have is valves, when ridden as a trail bike that problem all but goes away. I wonder how a XR would hold up if we put a fast MXer on it?

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Put a fast mxer on one and it'll bite him. He'll over ride it and get pounded into the ground but it doesn't sound like he's going to be lining up next to Carmichael any time soon.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I didn't catch the part where the original question was about more than riding the trails for a person who doesn't have a lot of experience on dirt.

11. 418

418 Expert #59

For trails, a XR400 will do just fine.

Piped and jetted, those things are pretty stong.

12. buxton

buxton Southern Canadian

+1

Paul's CRF450 can be a bastard to kick start at times.

My KX125 doesn't have that issue. :D

Dawn

13. turner38

My thinking is ergonomicly the CRF will fit him better, the suspension will be pretty close for trail riding due to his weight. Wheras on the XR he will be cramped, the suspension will be very soft plus due to the fact he's a racer it probably wont take him long to want more than the XR's will give.

14. TEAMLIKETYSPLIT

TEAMLIKETYSPLIT In Limbo

Andy! Where have you been? P.M me- I have a guy coming today to trade a crf250x.

15. JWVance

JWVance Well-Known Member

A 4 stroke motocrosser is the way to go. XR's are dead reliable but not going to be no where near as fun a motocrosser. The motocross bike will be less weight, more power, better suspension...the only down side is maintanence but for trail riding that will still be minimum.

16. roadracer86

roadracer86 Always worth the pain.

Spring for one of these and get a set of supermofo wheels and you got two bikes. I'm seriously considering this as my next purchase. Street legal and and all that shit. :rock:

Attached Files:

17. Jefe

Jefe Wannabe

250 2 stroke. Low Maint., light, starts within 3 kicks, cheaper parts, and cheaper to buy thanks to the newfound 4 stroke popularity. If you're worried about power, CR500. If you want a 500 that corners, find an AF500. Plus 2 smoke exhaust just smells good!

In the end you'll have fun on whatever you buy. :up:

18. racer_11

racer_11 moto nyne guy

word up! a smokey dirt bike is the way to go!!! blue smoke is hot!!

19. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

:stupid:

Dirt bikes dont have valves!!!!

20. racer_11

racer_11 moto nyne guy

....yeah, that's right...toilets have valves.....represent in durhamtown with a two stroke.....make it blue and you'll be living large!!!!!