1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did Yamaha fire anyone yet?

Discussion in 'General' started by Knotcher, Nov 30, 2020.

1. ShadowBoxer

ShadowBoxer Well-Known Member

:mad:

Agreed and plus the sumbitch shoulda been fired for the whole Ben situation, shit only happened to Ben’s bike. He needs to pay for that alone....:mad:

Blammo and YamahaRick like this.
  2. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Firing Lin is also a message for change. Environment and culture is from the top and they are a shell of what they used to be. Time for change. Maverick also needs to go. Would make a great test rider.

ShadowBoxer and YamahaRick like this.
  3. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

If they were a football or hockey team, there would have been a very public complete clean out by now.

All depends on your end goal. Do you need revolution, or evolution? Tough to say they need a complete revolution considering the bike actually performed quite well when it worked. When it didn't work though.....Bottom line, they need more usable power. But it needs to come without upsetting the applecart. Easy to say, not so easy to do. Especially considering engine development is frozen next year. Here's hoping more ponies can be freed by nerds with laptops.

I think instead of firing, they'll be hiring some emotional support staff for the 2 factory riders next year.....maybe a puppy, or emotional support donkey or something....

CowboyRR and BigBird like this.
  4. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Yamaha's biggest problem this year was to many riders taking the top from each other IMO. Look at podiums they did fall off in the second half but still a lot of Yamahas. The other oddity this year was the tracks with repeats and dropping how many that one or other manufacturer did better at. Not sure you can draw many conclusions from this year.

5. BigBird

BigBird blah

so the bike with the most wins, and that finished 2nd in the championship needs a complete overhaul...hmmm

I think it needs to just be less worse on bad days. instead of finishing 12th, it needs a 4-6th place.

notbostrom, ducnut and OGs750 like this.
  6. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

That bike gets its ass handed to it on corner exit. It also seems to only work if you can get on pole or the front row at a minimum and run out front the whole race. I think that’s why when it isn’t working, it really isn’t working.

05Yamabomber likes this.
  7. BigBird

BigBird blah

I mean that was the case when George was on it too, but Alien

8. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

I've wondered if the days of a single factory dominance are over since everyone has so much data and none of it is secret anymore.
    Gone are the days of Burgess and Rossi coming into a struggling team and imparting their "secret sauce" to the bike.

F1 and it's aero and tech packages are so sophisticated yet that a factory can dominate.
    Motogp, well... it's traction limited for the foreseeable future.

9. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

How many championships has Lin had in the last 10-15 years?
    Now how many has anyone else had?

He’s not the problem.

and yes, Yamaha did fire the guy at the “top” he’s now riding a satellite Yamaha which has won several races as well.

let’s see what excuses or people y’all blame next.

10. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Bring back the 2015 M1! Still holds records. Yamaha took a wrong turn down a worm hole and cant figure it out. George and Rossi were badass on those. Some of the best racing that year. I think the competition around them have gotten better (manufacturers) and of course MM93. As much as I cant stand that guy, I know if he got on the M1 he would still be killing it. Just like Casey Stoner and the Ducati. They just get the most out of any bike they are on.

11. BigBird

BigBird blah

They were on Bridgestones. The riders loved that front tire.

Shocker, YamahaRick and 05Yamabomber like this.
  12. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

If there is anything Lin is guilty of, it is being too much a company man. But I guess that's why they hired him. He fit their corporate structure to a tee.

I mean when the only people fired up publicly about losing to Aprilia and ktm are your riders...

05Yamabomber likes this.
  13. Knotcher

You don’t make a ton of sense. Lin has 0 championships. I looked for a trophy with his name on it and came up empty.

Rossi’s outfit didn’t put the motors together that popped. It may not be Lin. It may be an engineering or department head back in Japan.

14. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

I think the real trouble started when Masao Furasawa left (retired, voluntarily, not under pressure) back in 2011.
    I think Maverick would be a fantastic test rider.

FQ to lead the factory
    FM to lead the Satellite

Dovi to the Factory & help FQ get composed.
    Rossi out after '21

15. Knotcher

I’d like to see Dovi as the anti-Puig.

Jedb likes this.
  16. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

This happens with both bikes and F1 cars. Some are better "hot lap" vehicles and some are better "race" vehicles. The hot lappers work best when they qualify out front, and don't have to deal with traffic. But if they have a bad qualifying, they aren't going anywhere. Nature of the design philosophy and engine characteristics.

17. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

I remember we discussed it with Dorna but it was decided that we weren't interested. Racing wise Pirelli is deep into F1, MXGP, and WSBK so the brand is getting mega world wide exposure. And the moto factory was (and is) super busy with WSBK/WSS/BSB and when you include building racing tires for all of countries with club racing they have plenty to do.

ducnut and BigBird like this.
  18. BigBird

BigBird blah

and I believe Dunlop was OK with just being the Moto2 Supplier. So basically Michelin bid against itself.

19. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Exposure might become a liability though, given the multiple gaffes that Pirelli had in F1 this year.

20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Pirelli's involvement in F1 over the years has been proof that any publicity is good publicity. Drivers only comment about the tires to complain about them.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020